The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Do Biopsy’s spread cancer?

Forums General Melanoma Community Do Biopsy’s spread cancer?

Participant

I came across a couple of articles on the Web that maintain that biopsys spread cancer.

This may be total quackery, but the argument goes that the body builds walls around concentrations of cancer cells to contain them, but that these walls become breached, and the cancer cells escape, when a biopsy is performed.

I am scheduled for a SLN  in a day or two , and these articles have given me pause for thought.  Any comments?

I came across a couple of articles on the Web that maintain that biopsys spread cancer.

This may be total quackery, but the argument goes that the body builds walls around concentrations of cancer cells to contain them, but that these walls become breached, and the cancer cells escape, when a biopsy is performed.

I am scheduled for a SLN  in a day or two , and these articles have given me pause for thought.  Any comments?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        KatyWI
        Participant

I vote quackery.

Leaving cancer IN the body spreads cancer.

KatyWI
          Participant

I vote quackery.

Leaving cancer IN the body spreads cancer.

Janner
            Participant

Keep searching.  There are many more articles and studies that say the opposite.  They also used to say "air" caused cancer cells to spread.  Another myth debunked.  There are people who die from cancer who don't have those biopsies – and their cells still managed to spread.

You can certainly choose not to have the SNB.  It hasn't proven to have any real clinical significance.  It's mainly for staging.  You could watch and monitor instead.  But not having the wide excision to get better margins could be a big mistake.  Melanoma cells like to travel and you want to remove everything at the source.  You've obviously already had the initial biopsy and the SNB isn't really a biopsy, it's removing one or more lymph nodes.  They don't cut into the lymph nodes, and any melanoma cells would most likely be encapsulated in the node itself.

You can find a lot of both good and bad information on the web.  Consider the source!  You need to evaluate everything.  Are there studies or clinical trials (hard science) to back it up?  What is the background of the author?  If you are really having doubts, call your doctors and ask their opinions.  Ask for 2nd or 3rd opinions.  In the end, you have to do what makes YOU the most comfortable!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
              Participant

Keep searching.  There are many more articles and studies that say the opposite.  They also used to say "air" caused cancer cells to spread.  Another myth debunked.  There are people who die from cancer who don't have those biopsies – and their cells still managed to spread.

You can certainly choose not to have the SNB.  It hasn't proven to have any real clinical significance.  It's mainly for staging.  You could watch and monitor instead.  But not having the wide excision to get better margins could be a big mistake.  Melanoma cells like to travel and you want to remove everything at the source.  You've obviously already had the initial biopsy and the SNB isn't really a biopsy, it's removing one or more lymph nodes.  They don't cut into the lymph nodes, and any melanoma cells would most likely be encapsulated in the node itself.

You can find a lot of both good and bad information on the web.  Consider the source!  You need to evaluate everything.  Are there studies or clinical trials (hard science) to back it up?  What is the background of the author?  If you are really having doubts, call your doctors and ask their opinions.  Ask for 2nd or 3rd opinions.  In the end, you have to do what makes YOU the most comfortable!

Best wishes,

Janner

washoegal
                Participant

There's new studies going on that are questioning the need for SNB at certain staging.  That maybe waiting and watching is an option.  I was asked if I wanted to join such a study.  I said "NO", glad I did as there was Mel in my in Sentinal Nodes.  At the point I got it is was microscopic: the ultrasound would NOT have found it, it would have been larger and maybe have spread. 

By and large I think the biopsy spreading cancer is quackery.  And maybe they are referring to a needle biopsy, which I can see some logic in making an arguement against.

Mary

Stage 3

Springbok
                    Participant

Thanks to all of you who responded. It confirmed my own view that the idea of biopsys spreading cancer was quackery, but I just wanted to check that there wasn't a large vein of thought supporting the idea.

By the way, I had my SNB yesterday, and it was largely a non-event. The radiologist found only one sentinel node, and the operation lasted all of 23 minutes. My main discomfort was waking up from the anaesthetic with a headache. I am hopeful that the wound healing will continue so promisingly.  Now the anxious waiting for the result

I did talk to the surgeon at some length about where we go from here, if the pathology is pOS. He spoke about a general disection of the nodes as usual practice, but that there was also a large trial ongoing to determine whether these disections actually improve one's prognosis.

Springbok

Springbok
                      Participant

Thanks to all of you who responded. It confirmed my own view that the idea of biopsys spreading cancer was quackery, but I just wanted to check that there wasn't a large vein of thought supporting the idea.

By the way, I had my SNB yesterday, and it was largely a non-event. The radiologist found only one sentinel node, and the operation lasted all of 23 minutes. My main discomfort was waking up from the anaesthetic with a headache. I am hopeful that the wound healing will continue so promisingly.  Now the anxious waiting for the result

I did talk to the surgeon at some length about where we go from here, if the pathology is pOS. He spoke about a general disection of the nodes as usual practice, but that there was also a large trial ongoing to determine whether these disections actually improve one's prognosis.

Springbok

washoegal
                      Participant

There's new studies going on that are questioning the need for SNB at certain staging.  That maybe waiting and watching is an option.  I was asked if I wanted to join such a study.  I said "NO", glad I did as there was Mel in my in Sentinal Nodes.  At the point I got it is was microscopic: the ultrasound would NOT have found it, it would have been larger and maybe have spread. 

By and large I think the biopsy spreading cancer is quackery.  And maybe they are referring to a needle biopsy, which I can see some logic in making an arguement against.

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics