The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Discovery and Treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community Discovery and Treatment

Participant
      I am over 3 years out from diagnosis as 3a and I am NED. In a recent appointment with my Derm he restated a point that he has been saying consistently through my surveillance, that the research indicates that regardless of when a recurrence is discovered (actively through surveillance or when symptoms appear) the standard of care is the same and the outcome will be the same. Meaning that treatment will work or it won’t.

I am from Canada so I know standards of care differ by country.

Has anyone else had similar conversations/experience with members of their care team

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        tkoss
        Participant
          my Onc repeatedly used the phrase ‘standard of care’ which she backed up with a copy of thee NNCM Guideline v. 32019 with my Stage and treatments highlited. she explained that the treatment proposed was what any Onc would prescribe for that stage of melanoma.

you can google. also https://www.aimatmelanoma.org/ has a good layman’s description of stages and treatment.

ed williams
          Participant
            Hi there anon, I kind of like to look at the bright side of things and in the new 8th edition of staging document on page 17 (see link below) the stats would say that stage 3a patients on average 93% are alive at 5 years and 88% are alive at 10 years. Now that is pretty good stats and this is based on state of treatment from a couple of years ago before approvals of Pd-1 and targeted therapy for stage 3 folk. Go a little further and now there are trials opening for stage 2b and 2c patients see link below to keynote 716 which is available in several Canadian hospitals. https://cancerstaging.org/CSE/Physician/Documents/Melanoma%202.2.18.pdf https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03553836
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics