The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Disability?

Forums General Melanoma Community Disability?

Participant

Many, many years after my initial Stage IV diagnosis, I'm thinking of looking into Disability.  Do you need active disease in order to qualify?  Has anyone else gone this route? 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        pookerpb
        Participant

I just recently applied for SSDI for my husband due to the fact back in Feb we were not sure how the side effects would be and if he would be able to continue work. He is a self-employed concrete contractor and it is very labor intensive. I probaly know everything there is when it comes to SSDI as we didnt want to use an attoryney and did it on our own. Metastatic Melanoma is one of the diseases listed on the "compassion list" of illnesses for social security so can be a fairly quick process.

So are you currently in treatment now? it will depend on whether your treatment or disease could potentially prohibit you working or working your normal hours. 

Rocco
            Participant

No I am not in treatment. Worked through all my treatments and surgeries over the years.  I am NED and have been for some time, yes, I know that I am one of the lucky ones.  Just emotionally drained now…

pookerpb
              Participant
                So you are able to work? If you are and are actively in treatment because you are NED, I would highly doubt you are qualified for disability. If it’s an emotional issue, that is a hard a hard call and would probably go through a denial from what I have read.

pookerpb
                Participant

sorry….above should read *not actively in treatment.

pookerpb
                  Participant

pookerpb
                    Participant

pookerpb
                      Participant
                        So you are able to work? If you are and are actively in treatment because you are NED, I would highly doubt you are qualified for disability. If it’s an emotional issue, that is a hard a hard call and would probably go through a denial from what I have read.

pookerpb
                        Participant

Rocco
                          Participant

No I am not in treatment. Worked through all my treatments and surgeries over the years.  I am NED and have been for some time, yes, I know that I am one of the lucky ones.  Just emotionally drained now…

Rocco
                            Participant

pookerpb
                            Participant

I just recently applied for SSDI for my husband due to the fact back in Feb we were not sure how the side effects would be and if he would be able to continue work. He is a self-employed concrete contractor and it is very labor intensive. I probaly know everything there is when it comes to SSDI as we didnt want to use an attoryney and did it on our own. Metastatic Melanoma is one of the diseases listed on the "compassion list" of illnesses for social security so can be a fairly quick process.

So are you currently in treatment now? it will depend on whether your treatment or disease could potentially prohibit you working or working your normal hours. 

pookerpb
                              Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics