The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

differences between COBRA and regular group insurance?

Forums General Melanoma Community differences between COBRA and regular group insurance?

Participant

Greetings all: I'm a stage 4 patient responding well (but not without some side effects) to Pembrolizumab.I may be looking at working a reduced schedule at my company (currently on medical leave), which would apparrently entail my losing group health insurance, but being offered COBRA for 18 months. Has anyone had a similar situation? How did COBRA compare to your group plan ( I realize they are *supposed* to be identical). Is there a way to retain group health insurance while on a reduced workload (does ACA *mandate* discontinuation of coverage)?

Thanks in advance, 

S

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

In my experience, the only difference between COBRA and the group health plan was who paid for it.  No difference in coverage.  But it only lasts 18 months.  You might consider getting coverage through the ACA marketplace while there is still a "no pre-existing conditions" mandate because you may be able to keep that coverage through whatever workload you have well into the future.  If the ACA mandate is repealed and you have to deal with pre-existing conditions, you could be in trouble.  Just thinking out loud but something to consider.

TexMelanomex
          Participant

I would also add that COBRA tends to be phenomenally expensive, so I agree, shop some plans and compare. Obviously, since you are receiving a really expensive treatment (I'm also on Pembro) just make sure you are tracking the deductibles and out of pocket max also. The math on all of that may actually make COBRA a more cost effective choice. I think the insurance coverage with reduced workload or fewer hours is determined by your employer vs ACA (but I could be wrong). I hope you find a great option that works well for you.

Tex

kst
            Participant

Before signing up for ACA marketplace insurance you might verify the hospital you choose accepts it.  In Texas, the specialty hospitals like MD Anderson are not available for any ACA plans that I am aware of.

SDFun
              Participant

If you can afford teh COBRA i would strongly recommend staying with it. In most states teh plans the ACA offer are very limitied. no of few PPO's In Califorian we only have 1 PPo and it has a very limited number of doctors on it

jennunicorn
                  Participant

ACA PPO options in CA are either Blue Shield or Anthem, Blue Shield is the best option, I was on it for a few years, got on it after my diagnosis, been seen at UCSF for the duration of treatment and was fully covered. Now have a job with great health benefits so I no longer need it, but highly recommend Blue Shield Silver PPO ACA plan IF that is the only option for someone. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics