The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Difference between local recurrence and new primary?

Forums General Melanoma Community Difference between local recurrence and new primary?

Participant

Hi all, 

Viewing my mom's pathology report and in the comments it says:

The differential diagnosis includes a new primary of nodular melanoma vs. a focus of recurrent or in transit metastatic disease. Correlation of the biopsy site to previous excision site may be helpful. 

Can anybody decipher what this means?

The new melanoma is .8mm, no miotic, no ulceration within the superficial dermis.

We are waiting to meet with an oncologist.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        welcome32
        Participant

Believe me Selle7, I am no expert on this.  Because my daughter Julie has has been diagnosed with Stage 3, I am new here, but have found this forum to be so supportive.  I am sure others will respond, who I know will have more insight then me. In any case, from what I see, I believe the report is saying most likely that this is a new primary and not a recurrent.   the fact. that it is .8mm, no mitotic, no ulceration is good.  Looks like it was caught early.  Best of Luck…

welcome32
          Participant

Believe me Selle7, I am no expert on this.  Because my daughter Julie has has been diagnosed with Stage 3, I am new here, but have found this forum to be so supportive.  I am sure others will respond, who I know will have more insight then me. In any case, from what I see, I believe the report is saying most likely that this is a new primary and not a recurrent.   the fact. that it is .8mm, no mitotic, no ulceration is good.  Looks like it was caught early.  Best of Luck…

welcome32
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

It would be more helpful if you posted the entire report where we can get the full picture.  Is that the final clinical diagnosis or is that the diagnosis the dermatologist submitted?  Often times, the dermatologist will give an "impression" on his diagnosis so the pathologist wil have a starting point.  That fits with the 1st line.  Second line doesn't quite work like that.  So this is where having the report in context would help.

Typically if they list a depth, it is considered a new primary.   Unless it is located right next to a previous primary and could have been cells in the margins of the previous primary that were missed – hence recurrent or intransit options.

Selle7
                  Participant

I couldn't figure out how to post the report so I copied it out for you. 

Selle7
                    Participant

Selle7
                      Participant

Janner
                      Participant

It would be more helpful if you posted the entire report where we can get the full picture.  Is that the final clinical diagnosis or is that the diagnosis the dermatologist submitted?  Often times, the dermatologist will give an "impression" on his diagnosis so the pathologist wil have a starting point.  That fits with the 1st line.  Second line doesn't quite work like that.  So this is where having the report in context would help.

Typically if they list a depth, it is considered a new primary.   Unless it is located right next to a previous primary and could have been cells in the margins of the previous primary that were missed – hence recurrent or intransit options.

Janner
                        Participant

Selle7
                          Participant

Diagnoses:

Dermal focus of malignant melanoma 

Tumour Thickness: 0.8mm

No Ulceration 

Mitosis: None Identified

Cell Type: Large Epitheloid

Compltely Excised in the plane of sections examined

Please see comment 

Diagnoses Comment:

Note is made of patients previous history of melanoma in the left neck/shoulder (thickness 1.9mm) with associated involvement of one sentinel node and negative completion lymphadenectomy. The current biopsy shows a small focus of malignant melanoma within the superficial dermis, abutting the dermal-epidermal junction. There is focal epidermotropism noted. The differential diagnosis includes a new primary lesion of modular melanoma versus focus of recurrent or in transit metastatic disease. Correlation with the biopsy site and relationship to previous excision may be helpful 

Selle7
                            Participant

Diagnoses:

No Ulceration 

Please see comment 

Diagnoses Comment:

Note is made of patients previous history of melanoma in the left neck/shoulder (thickness 1.9mm) with associated involvement of one sentinel node and negative completion lymphadenectomy. The current biopsy shows a small focus of malignant melanoma within the superficial dermis, abutting the dermal-epidermal junction. There is focal epidermotropism noted. The differential diagnosis includes a new primary lesion of modular melanoma versus focus of recurrent or in transit metastatic disease. Correlation with the biopsy site and relationship to previous excision may be helpful 

Selle7
                              Participant

Diagnoses:

No Ulceration 

Please see comment 

Diagnoses Comment:

Selle7
                                  Participant

It was a 2mm dark brown macule that was biopsied located about 1cm to the left of the bottom of her previous excision. 

I can't thank you enough for weighing in! 

Selle7
                                    Participant

It was a 2mm dark brown macule that was biopsied located about 1cm to the left of the bottom of her previous excision. 

stars
                                      Participant

My interpretation is this: there is a melanoma, and it could be (in medical terms 'differential diagnosis) EITHER a new primary unrelated to the previously removed melanoma OR a recurrence or in-transit melanoma that is 'secondary' to the previously removed melanoma. The former is the preferred option. A new primary is bad, but not as bad as a recurrence or in transit metastases. Unfortunately, given that this melanoma is in the dermis (and not epidermal), and given it's proximity to the scar site, it could well be the latter.  This is a fairly uneducated guess by the way, but that's how I read it. Differential diagnosis means it could be this, or it could be that. For example, a headache could be dehydration, or it could be trauma from a hit to the head. Either/or.

stars
                                        Participant

My interpretation is this: there is a melanoma, and it could be (in medical terms 'differential diagnosis) EITHER a new primary unrelated to the previously removed melanoma OR a recurrence or in-transit melanoma that is 'secondary' to the previously removed melanoma. The former is the preferred option. A new primary is bad, but not as bad as a recurrence or in transit metastases. Unfortunately, given that this melanoma is in the dermis (and not epidermal), and given it's proximity to the scar site, it could well be the latter.  This is a fairly uneducated guess by the way, but that's how I read it. Differential diagnosis means it could be this, or it could be that. For example, a headache could be dehydration, or it could be trauma from a hit to the head. Either/or.

stars
                                          Participant

stars
                                            Participant

stars
                                              Participant

stars
                                                Participant

Sorry about the double post! Hit too many buttons at once…

stars
                                                  Participant

stars
                                                    Participant

Selle7
                                                      Participant

Thank you for your input! That's along the lines of how my moms derm interpreted it. But also not confident. He just referred her to an oncologist. 

Selle7
                                                        Participant

Thank you for your input! That's along the lines of how my moms derm interpreted it. But also not confident. He just referred her to an oncologist. 

Selle7
                                                          Participant

stars
                                                            Participant

Selle7
                                                              Participant

Janner
                                                                Participant

The melanoma is found at the epidermal/dermal junction but not in the epidermis.  This implies two things.  Not in the epidermis so not 100% a new primary since primaries typically grow from the epidermis downward.  But not in the deep dermis so not 100% in-transit or recurrent since in-transits tend to grow from the lymph vessels upwards to the dermis.  So the pathologist is saying he can't make the determination based on the biopsy site alone because the proximity of the previous lesion is close.  It needs correlation with where the previous excision was done and it may never be known for certain whether this is a primary or recurrence.  I'm not a medical person but this is my best interpretation of what I see. 

Janner
                                                                  Participant

The melanoma is found at the epidermal/dermal junction but not in the epidermis.  This implies two things.  Not in the epidermis so not 100% a new primary since primaries typically grow from the epidermis downward.  But not in the deep dermis so not 100% in-transit or recurrent since in-transits tend to grow from the lymph vessels upwards to the dermis.  So the pathologist is saying he can't make the determination based on the biopsy site alone because the proximity of the previous lesion is close.  It needs correlation with where the previous excision was done and it may never be known for certain whether this is a primary or recurrence.  I'm not a medical person but this is my best interpretation of what I see. 

Janner
                                                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics