The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dietary changes?

Forums General Melanoma Community Dietary changes?

Participant

Hi

I'm sure this topic has been done before, but things change over time. I'm really curious what changes, if any, people have made to their diet and lifestyle after a melanoma diagnosis. My instinct is to try to clean up my act a bit – I don't really drink or smoke, but I'm reading up on plant-based diets and working towards getting a bit more exercise and balance in my life. The book I'm reading is The Complete Macrobiotic
      Diet by Danny Waxman – I don't know if I can implement all the changes, but I can certainly do some and they line up pretty well with e.g., the Harvard Healthy Eating Plate.  Thoughts?

Stars

Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

My diet took a 180 thanks to mom. She cooks as close to natural as possible. But we still have meat every meal for protein. Due to the damage in my arms I can't really do the juicing any more but things by brands like naked and bolt house and Pom that have no preservatives plus almond milk and bottled water is what I drink. Dunno if it helps but somehow I'm still here.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

My diet took a 180 thanks to mom. She cooks as close to natural as possible. But we still have meat every meal for protein. Due to the damage in my arms I can't really do the juicing any more but things by brands like naked and bolt house and Pom that have no preservatives plus almond milk and bottled water is what I drink. Dunno if it helps but somehow I'm still here.

Artie

arthurjedi007
            Participant

Artie

jamieth29
              Participant
                After I was diagnosed I totally changed my diet. Much more fruit and vegetables. I really tried to limit my red meat and animal fat intake also carbs. It has been harder than I thought. I’m totally a steak and potatoes guy. I was totally freaked about eating any sugar or drinking anything with sugar. I’m quickly realizing that while it is smart to eat healthy…its also easy to let your imagination run wild. So more fruits and veggies and when I eat meat its lean venison and wild turkey. Still like my brats and such but just trying to eat better overall.
                jamieth29
                Participant
                  After I was diagnosed I totally changed my diet. Much more fruit and vegetables. I really tried to limit my red meat and animal fat intake also carbs. It has been harder than I thought. I’m totally a steak and potatoes guy. I was totally freaked about eating any sugar or drinking anything with sugar. I’m quickly realizing that while it is smart to eat healthy…its also easy to let your imagination run wild. So more fruits and veggies and when I eat meat its lean venison and wild turkey. Still like my brats and such but just trying to eat better overall.
                  jamieth29
                  Participant
                    DZnDef
                    Participant

Hi Stars,

I'll re-post my answer from another thread:

My doctor (who sadly passed away from a cardiac event on July 21) uses nutrition as a part of cancer treatment and claims that people with solid-tumor cancers (pancreatic, breast, prostate, etc.) should follow an alkaline diet (lots of veggies) while people with blood-borne cancers and melanoma should eat more on the acidic side (meat).  He has me eating 50% raw and 50% cooked with one serving of meat, poultry or fish every day (also cruciferous vegetables – cooked) and fresh carrot juice twice a day and a spinach side-salad once a day.  No processed food and no sugar (except raw honey, stevia, maple syrup, molasses or whole fruit).  All food is "clean" (organic, grass-fed, wild-caught, pasture-raised, etc.) and all water is filtered (reverse osmosis).  Many may consider my diet extreme but I am enjoying it (after years of daily 1/4-pounders with cheese).  I can't yet speak to the effect on my cancer, but the rest of me feels much better eating this way.

Best of luck to you!

Maggie

stars
                        Participant

Thanks for replying, really interesting and some common ideas eg minimal processing. My weakness is dairy, and lots of it. This is only area I'm trying to reduce, while adding more fruit and especially veg. I could lose a few pounds and I think reducing dairy – maybe trying almond milk like Artie – would be good for me. I had one last fling yesterday – a beautiful cheese platter at a local dairy that makes their own stuff. Goodbye, cheese. I'll be seeing less of you! Maggie, I did read about your dr passing away, very sad for his patients. Aside from dairy, my main goal is to add things rather than remove them. Whole grains, veg, soup and very gentle exercise (walking) are the four things I would like to add based in the book mentioned above. I'm going for oatmeal at breakfast, some kind of brown rice and veggie lunch (must be something I can take to work), and miso soup (instant sachet) with whatever my family has (usually meat and veggies) for dinner. Over time I'd like to change up to frest veggie soup but there's only so many hours in the day. As for the walk, I can do this on my way home from work before I pick up my kids from after school care. They like to stay there for the afternoon tea provided, so I'm often just waiting for them anyway. I drive straight past a nice walking track and could just do 15 min in each direction and its done. Thats the goal, anyway.

stars
                          Participant

Thanks for replying, really interesting and some common ideas eg minimal processing. My weakness is dairy, and lots of it. This is only area I'm trying to reduce, while adding more fruit and especially veg. I could lose a few pounds and I think reducing dairy – maybe trying almond milk like Artie – would be good for me. I had one last fling yesterday – a beautiful cheese platter at a local dairy that makes their own stuff. Goodbye, cheese. I'll be seeing less of you! Maggie, I did read about your dr passing away, very sad for his patients. Aside from dairy, my main goal is to add things rather than remove them. Whole grains, veg, soup and very gentle exercise (walking) are the four things I would like to add based in the book mentioned above. I'm going for oatmeal at breakfast, some kind of brown rice and veggie lunch (must be something I can take to work), and miso soup (instant sachet) with whatever my family has (usually meat and veggies) for dinner. Over time I'd like to change up to frest veggie soup but there's only so many hours in the day. As for the walk, I can do this on my way home from work before I pick up my kids from after school care. They like to stay there for the afternoon tea provided, so I'm often just waiting for them anyway. I drive straight past a nice walking track and could just do 15 min in each direction and its done. Thats the goal, anyway.

stars
                            Participant

DZnDef
                            Participant

Hi Stars,

My doctor (who sadly passed away from a cardiac event on July 21) uses nutrition as a part of cancer treatment and claims that people with solid-tumor cancers (pancreatic, breast, prostate, etc.) should follow an alkaline diet (lots of veggies) while people with blood-borne cancers and melanoma should eat more on the acidic side (meat).  He has me eating 50% raw and 50% cooked with one serving of meat, poultry or fish every day (also cruciferous vegetables – cooked) and fresh carrot juice twice a day and a spinach side-salad once a day.  No processed food and no sugar (except raw honey, stevia, maple syrup, molasses or whole fruit).  All food is "clean" (organic, grass-fed, wild-caught, pasture-raised, etc.) and all water is filtered (reverse osmosis).  Many may consider my diet extreme but I am enjoying it (after years of daily 1/4-pounders with cheese).  I can't yet speak to the effect on my cancer, but the rest of me feels much better eating this way.

Best of luck to you!

Maggie

DZnDef
                              Participant

Hi Stars,

Best of luck to you!

Maggie

mrsaxde
                                Participant

Compared to what some others have said, I haven't made a lot of changes. Processed sugar is out. Red meat is mostly out. I eat organic as much as possible, and I avoid any type of meat that gets fed antibiotics, like pork.

My problem is I don't like a lot of vegetables, and I've tried to, but there are some that I still just can't bring myself to eat.

Most of what I have to drink is water, and I largely avoid bread and other products that come from wheat.

I don't know if this is doing any good or not, but if I believe it helps, then it does to an extent. 🙂

DZnDef
                                    Participant

mrsaxde – I've had the same problem with vegetables.  My doc told me that most melanoma folks tend to prefer meat over vegetables.  His dietary guidance boiled down to essentially eating what you like to eat but only if you remove processed foods and sugar from the equation (and go organic, grass-fed, etc.).  He said we naturally gravitate towards our ideal diets once processed foods and sugar are removed (which have addictive qualities that mess with our natural cravings).  He told me to eat 4 different vegetables every day but they could be the same 4.  I picked baby spinach, red bell peppers, cucumbers and carrots.  Three of those go into a salad and the carrots I juice.  Apart from spinach, I'm to avoid leafy greens which was music to my ears.  My doc would probably agree with your diet.

DZnDef
                                      Participant

mrsaxde – I've had the same problem with vegetables.  My doc told me that most melanoma folks tend to prefer meat over vegetables.  His dietary guidance boiled down to essentially eating what you like to eat but only if you remove processed foods and sugar from the equation (and go organic, grass-fed, etc.).  He said we naturally gravitate towards our ideal diets once processed foods and sugar are removed (which have addictive qualities that mess with our natural cravings).  He told me to eat 4 different vegetables every day but they could be the same 4.  I picked baby spinach, red bell peppers, cucumbers and carrots.  Three of those go into a salad and the carrots I juice.  Apart from spinach, I'm to avoid leafy greens which was music to my ears.  My doc would probably agree with your diet.

DZnDef
                                        Participant

mrsaxde
                                        Participant

Compared to what some others have said, I haven't made a lot of changes. Processed sugar is out. Red meat is mostly out. I eat organic as much as possible, and I avoid any type of meat that gets fed antibiotics, like pork.

My problem is I don't like a lot of vegetables, and I've tried to, but there are some that I still just can't bring myself to eat.

Most of what I have to drink is water, and I largely avoid bread and other products that come from wheat.

I don't know if this is doing any good or not, but if I believe it helps, then it does to an extent. 🙂

mrsaxde
                                          Participant

Squash
                                            Participant

I was basically vegetarian before i was diagnosed and now I have changed my diet to eatng grass fed red meat daily, butter, flaxseed oil and plenty of organic veggies and a bit of fruit.

Squash
                                              Participant

I was basically vegetarian before i was diagnosed and now I have changed my diet to eatng grass fed red meat daily, butter, flaxseed oil and plenty of organic veggies and a bit of fruit.

Squash
                                                Participant

kylez
                                                  Participant

I'm a fan of moderation including moderation in making big dietary changes. I think my changes have been commonsense ones, like more fruits and veggies, yogurt, lentils, good grains, less but not zero meat/poultry/fish, less but not zero comfort food. My exercise has fallen off the last month with a foot issue but I am able to up my walking again now. 

Kyle

kylez
                                                    Participant

I'm a fan of moderation including moderation in making big dietary changes. I think my changes have been commonsense ones, like more fruits and veggies, yogurt, lentils, good grains, less but not zero meat/poultry/fish, less but not zero comfort food. My exercise has fallen off the last month with a foot issue but I am able to up my walking again now. 

Kyle

kylez
                                                      Participant

Kyle

dfeng
                                                        Participant

My doc told me that there are no direct envidence that any food/diet are good or bad to melanoma.

So what I can do is to keep body as healthy as possible. Try to eat healthy, that is it, no more, no less.

dfeng
                                                          Participant

My doc told me that there are no direct envidence that any food/diet are good or bad to melanoma.

So what I can do is to keep body as healthy as possible. Try to eat healthy, that is it, no more, no less.

dfeng
                                                            Participant

CHD
                                                              Participant

I would go along with what Dfeng said, no real evidence that any certain diet makes a difference, which is what my doctors have told me.  It's kind of confusing because I tried so hard to eat healthy BEFORE my diagnosis and I was fairly thin and in pretty good shape.  So I continue to drink a lot of water as before, but I have been moving toward a more vegetarian diet.  Vegetables and fruit actually make me a little nauseous, so while I do include them in, I tend to eat mostly high-fiber food such as lentils, brown rice, yogurt, and yes I still eat dairy.  I am not sure there is a perfect answer to this question as yet, but I agree with the idea that the healthier we eat, and to me that means higher in fiber and fewer processed food and chemicals anyway, the better off we will be. 

CHD
                                                                Participant

I would go along with what Dfeng said, no real evidence that any certain diet makes a difference, which is what my doctors have told me.  It's kind of confusing because I tried so hard to eat healthy BEFORE my diagnosis and I was fairly thin and in pretty good shape.  So I continue to drink a lot of water as before, but I have been moving toward a more vegetarian diet.  Vegetables and fruit actually make me a little nauseous, so while I do include them in, I tend to eat mostly high-fiber food such as lentils, brown rice, yogurt, and yes I still eat dairy.  I am not sure there is a perfect answer to this question as yet, but I agree with the idea that the healthier we eat, and to me that means higher in fiber and fewer processed food and chemicals anyway, the better off we will be. 

stars
                                                                    Participant

I agree that there is no solid evidence with diet changes, I just like to think of reviewing my diet as a bit of a housecleaning exercise that will stand me in good stead. Today I did a batch of oatmeal for breakfasts this week, and even managed to do a daily walk. With young kids, these things just slip unless I really put a bit of thought/planning into it.

stars
                                                                      Participant

I agree that there is no solid evidence with diet changes, I just like to think of reviewing my diet as a bit of a housecleaning exercise that will stand me in good stead. Today I did a batch of oatmeal for breakfasts this week, and even managed to do a daily walk. With young kids, these things just slip unless I really put a bit of thought/planning into it.

stars
                                                                        Participant

CHD
                                                                        Participant

DianaD
                                                                          Participant

I'm going to have a suspicious mole biopsied, so I don't have a melanoma diagnosis, but I have several autoimmune disorders, and I began following a mostly vegan diet a few years ago, after reading "The China Study."  I feel better, although it has not affected my pain or stiffness.  And I "cheat" and eat meat and cheese once in awhile, especially when I travel.  

According to The China Study, which is based on science, moderate modifcations to diet are ineffective.  You have to make the drastic change of eating solely fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes, with at most 10% animal products.  Since most people go beyond 10% when they don't completely eliminate animal-based products, total elimination is recommended.  The best way to achieve that is to follow a completely vegan "diet" for 30 days.  It takes that long to feel a difference and to relearn how to tase food.  Eliminating processed foods is essential, too.  

I'm not telling anyone what to do.  I'm sharing information for those who may be interested. 

I placed "diet" in quotes above, becuase it's really a life-style change, not a diet.  

For me, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, and I like meat and dairy.  

I followed the 30 day '''starter" program that you can find on the Internet.  If anyone needs help finding it, liet me know. 

DianaD
                                                                            Participant

I'm going to have a suspicious mole biopsied, so I don't have a melanoma diagnosis, but I have several autoimmune disorders, and I began following a mostly vegan diet a few years ago, after reading "The China Study."  I feel better, although it has not affected my pain or stiffness.  And I "cheat" and eat meat and cheese once in awhile, especially when I travel.  

According to The China Study, which is based on science, moderate modifcations to diet are ineffective.  You have to make the drastic change of eating solely fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes, with at most 10% animal products.  Since most people go beyond 10% when they don't completely eliminate animal-based products, total elimination is recommended.  The best way to achieve that is to follow a completely vegan "diet" for 30 days.  It takes that long to feel a difference and to relearn how to tase food.  Eliminating processed foods is essential, too.  

I'm not telling anyone what to do.  I'm sharing information for those who may be interested. 

I placed "diet" in quotes above, becuase it's really a life-style change, not a diet.  

For me, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, and I like meat and dairy.  

I followed the 30 day '''starter" program that you can find on the Internet.  If anyone needs help finding it, liet me know. 

Squash
                                                                                Participant

I have read the China study but I am not convinced that it is the diet for everyone to follow.

I like the metabolic typing theory when it comes to diet.

It seems to make more sense.

It maintains that we are all different and no one diet suits all.

i.e. some people thrive on meats whilst others thrive on a more vegetarian diet and still others a combination of both.

Squash
                                                                                  Participant

I have read the China study but I am not convinced that it is the diet for everyone to follow.

i.e. some people thrive on meats whilst others thrive on a more vegetarian diet and still others a combination of both.

Squash
                                                                                    Participant

DianaD
                                                                                    Participant

CHD
                                                                                      Participant

These are pretty good guidelines from the American Cancer Soceity in terms of what the scientific evidence has shown so far about diet:

http://www.cancer.org/healthy/eathealthygetactive/acsguidelinesonnutritionphysicalactivityforcancerprevention/acs-guidelines-on-nutrition-and-physical-activity-for-cancer-prevention-common-questions

I read somewhere recently that calorie restriction has been found to offer some benefit but I can't find that article.  Will post later if I can find.

CHD
                                                                                        Participant

These are pretty good guidelines from the American Cancer Soceity in terms of what the scientific evidence has shown so far about diet:

http://www.cancer.org/healthy/eathealthygetactive/acsguidelinesonnutritionphysicalactivityforcancerprevention/acs-guidelines-on-nutrition-and-physical-activity-for-cancer-prevention-common-questions

I read somewhere recently that calorie restriction has been found to offer some benefit but I can't find that article.  Will post later if I can find.

CHD
                                                                                          Participant

stars
                                                                                              Participant

Thanks Anon. I would definitely benefit from calorie restriction as I am… well… fat! Please post your link if you find it.

stars
                                                                                                Participant

Thanks Anon. I would definitely benefit from calorie restriction as I am… well… fat! Please post your link if you find it.

stars
                                                                                                  Participant

DZnDef
                                                                                                    Participant

I would not be surprised at all if calorie restriction inhibits cancer growth.  From March 2014 to October 2014 I followed a Paleo diet which resulted in a 40 pound weight loss.  During this period my tumor growth stalled.  I don't know if it was due to my food choices or the reduced calories (or something else).  But once I reached a stable weight, tumor growth started again.  Even so, 7-9 months of stalled growth is worth something and as an added bonus, I look and feel better now. smiley

CHD
                                                                                                      Participant

Here is a link.  It is rather technical but my impression is that a lower carbohydrate, higher protein diet, calorie restriction, and lower blood glucose levels all were found to have a significant impact on slowing tumor growth, especially when combined with traditional cancer treatment.

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/71/13/4484.full

ed williams
                                                                                                        Participant

Great study if you are a mouse with cancer!!!

CHD
                                                                                                          Participant

Mouse definitely, how funny.  But I do like that it seems to be reputable science.  Whether/to what degree it will apply to humans remains to be seen.

The fact that most of our oncologists/specialists tell us there is just no real evidence to back up one particular diet plan as being effective in preventing/reversing cancer, aside from some basic guidelines (i.e. American Cancer Society),  is a pretty good indication there is just a genuine lack of knowledge here.

But the mice studies do intrigue me.  It will be interesting to see where, if anywhere, this type of research ultimately leads.

CHD
                                                                                                            Participant

Mouse definitely, how funny.  But I do like that it seems to be reputable science.  Whether/to what degree it will apply to humans remains to be seen.

The fact that most of our oncologists/specialists tell us there is just no real evidence to back up one particular diet plan as being effective in preventing/reversing cancer, aside from some basic guidelines (i.e. American Cancer Society),  is a pretty good indication there is just a genuine lack of knowledge here.

But the mice studies do intrigue me.  It will be interesting to see where, if anywhere, this type of research ultimately leads.

CHD
                                                                                                              Participant

ed williams
                                                                                                                Participant

ed williams
                                                                                                                  Participant

DZnDef
                                                                                                                    Participant

Yes, that is the style of diet I was on while following Paleo and experienced a stall in tumor growth.  Even though I'm not a mouse.

Squash
                                                                                                                      Participant

Atkins was using his diet to treat cancer patients back  in the 80s i think.

He had to stop because not one patient had their cancer turned around although many had initial promising results.

Ketogenic diets work in the very short run but ulitmately none have been provem to stop cancer.in the long run.

Squash
                                                                                                                        Participant

He had to stop because not one patient had their cancer turned around although many had initial promising results.

Ketogenic diets work in the very short run but ulitmately none have been provem to stop cancer.in the long run.

Squash
                                                                                                                          Participant

DZnDef
                                                                                                                            Participant

Yes, that is the style of diet I was on while following Paleo and experienced a stall in tumor growth.  Even though I'm not a mouse.

DZnDef
                                                                                                                              Participant

CHD
                                                                                                                                Participant

Here is a link.  It is rather technical but my impression is that a lower carbohydrate, higher protein diet, calorie restriction, and lower blood glucose levels all were found to have a significant impact on slowing tumor growth, especially when combined with traditional cancer treatment.

CHD
                                                                                                                                  Participant

DZnDef
                                                                                                                                    Participant

I would not be surprised at all if calorie restriction inhibits cancer growth.  From March 2014 to October 2014 I followed a Paleo diet which resulted in a 40 pound weight loss.  During this period my tumor growth stalled.  I don't know if it was due to my food choices or the reduced calories (or something else).  But once I reached a stable weight, tumor growth started again.  Even so, 7-9 months of stalled growth is worth something and as an added bonus, I look and feel better now. smiley

DZnDef
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics