The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Diet & Sugar

Forums General Melanoma Community Diet & Sugar

Participant

There is a lot of talk about sugar, avoiding sugar, etc. . . I'm just wondering what scientific evidence exists that shows sugar causes cancer or makes it worse, etc. . .   Isn't sugar like everything else (alcohol, meat, etc…). . everything in moderation?

There is a lot of talk about sugar, avoiding sugar, etc. . . I'm just wondering what scientific evidence exists that shows sugar causes cancer or makes it worse, etc. . .   Isn't sugar like everything else (alcohol, meat, etc…). . everything in moderation?

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        LynnLuc
        Participant

If you avoid sugar…then avoid carbs ( vegetables) as they convert to sugar…my onc says avoiding sugar won't make a difference…says to just eat a well balanced diet. 

LynnLuc
          Participant

If you avoid sugar…then avoid carbs ( vegetables) as they convert to sugar…my onc says avoiding sugar won't make a difference…says to just eat a well balanced diet. 

LynnLuc
            Participant

Gene_S
              Participant

Two o'clock that Friday afternoon the phone rang and I checked the caller ID. My Doctor's office was on the line and I prepared for the lecture I knew I deserved. He got right to the point. Too much fat, too little exercise, more fish,           less sugar, and then the part I wasn't expecting. You have a MALIGNANT MELANOMA. "We received the lab report this morning and you do have a level III melanoma. I am sorry to give you this news on a Friday afternoon, but I thought you should know as soon as possible, and you have an appointment Tuesday morning with Dr. Randall Burr – he is the best dermatologist in the state." Now it was sinking in; melanoma plus appointment in two days equals serious. As if he had heard my 'pretend it doesn't exist and it will go away' strategy. He then said "now don't do anything silly." There must have been more to the conversation. I am sure he would have covered when, where and what did he mean by silly, but I already exceeded my "holy crap" brain capacity and confused level III with stage III.

Video at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BVbouBcUWU

Gene_S
                Participant

Two o'clock that Friday afternoon the phone rang and I checked the caller ID. My Doctor's office was on the line and I prepared for the lecture I knew I deserved. He got right to the point. Too much fat, too little exercise, more fish,           less sugar, and then the part I wasn't expecting. You have a MALIGNANT MELANOMA. "We received the lab report this morning and you do have a level III melanoma. I am sorry to give you this news on a Friday afternoon, but I thought you should know as soon as possible, and you have an appointment Tuesday morning with Dr. Randall Burr – he is the best dermatologist in the state." Now it was sinking in; melanoma plus appointment in two days equals serious. As if he had heard my 'pretend it doesn't exist and it will go away' strategy. He then said "now don't do anything silly." There must have been more to the conversation. I am sure he would have covered when, where and what did he mean by silly, but I already exceeded my "holy crap" brain capacity and confused level III with stage III.

Video at

Gene_S
                  Participant

Video at

Gene_S
                    Participant

As posted by sFELDMAN on 12/26/12 on another page and I do agree with his statement;

Change your nutrition progarm immediately.  Eliminate all preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, white flower and white sugar.  Eat green vegetables, fruits, whole grain, matakie mushrooms and lots of turmeric spice on all foods.  Focused nutrition program will assist your immune system in fighting off the cancer. 

and yet another poster said

I couldn't agree more with your recommendation of a diet loaded with high nutrient cruciferous green vegetables, fruit, whole grains, mushrooms and turmeric. I would also add onions, leeks, garlic, etc. (the allium vegetables) and select nuts and seeds – walnuts, hazelnuts, flaxseed, etc.

Try reading the book the Maker's Diet.

Gene_S
                      Participant

As posted by sFELDMAN on 12/26/12 on another page and I do agree with his statement;

Change your nutrition progarm immediately.  Eliminate all preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, white flower and white sugar.  Eat green vegetables, fruits, whole grain, matakie mushrooms and lots of turmeric spice on all foods.  Focused nutrition program will assist your immune system in fighting off the cancer. 

I couldn't agree more with your recommendation of a diet loaded with high nutrient cruciferous green vegetables, fruit, whole grains, mushrooms and turmeric. I would also add onions, leeks, garlic, etc. (the allium vegetables) and select nuts and seeds – walnuts, hazelnuts, flaxseed, etc.

Gene_S
                        Participant

jag
                          Participant

http://intl-erc.endocrinology-journals.org/content/16/4/1103.full

This article explains that diabetics (people that have chronically high blood sugar) due to insulin malfunction are more likely to get cancer.  The survival is decreased, but it is also likely related to the common health problems that accompany diabetes.

jag
                            Participant

This article explains that diabetics (people that have chronically high blood sugar) due to insulin malfunction are more likely to get cancer.  The survival is decreased, but it is also likely related to the common health problems that accompany diabetes.

jag
                              Participant

JC
                                Participant

Article doesn't mention melanoma/skin cancer.

I eat ice cream every night, and I'm not willing to give it up.  I haven't seen compelling data on sugar. Everything in moderation is a good motto

JC
                                  Participant

I eat ice cream every night, and I'm not willing to give it up.  I haven't seen compelling data on sugar. Everything in moderation is a good motto

JC
                                    Participant

JakeinNY
                                      Participant

The theory is that glucose fuels cancer cells and if you take away the fuel, they won't grow in numbers. That's where the ketogenic diet comes in to play. It is something that is undergoing several trials in the U.S. and abroad. There is one trial that I know of that is taking on melanoma patients, among others. I would suggest checking out the following link (video) involving Dr. Eugen Fine, MD from NYC. I would recommend checking out his explanation on the livinlavidalowcarbshow. I would also recommend reading the book "The Enzyme Factor" by Dr. Hiromi Shinya, MD, a world reknown G.I. doctor and inventor of one of the colonscopy tools years ago. They have not proven anything to this point but there has been some promising results including that of a pediatric brain cancer patient that stayed with the diet and was doing well 10 years later.

JakeinNY
                                        Participant

The theory is that glucose fuels cancer cells and if you take away the fuel, they won't grow in numbers. That's where the ketogenic diet comes in to play. It is something that is undergoing several trials in the U.S. and abroad. There is one trial that I know of that is taking on melanoma patients, among others. I would suggest checking out the following link (video) involving Dr. Eugen Fine, MD from NYC. I would recommend checking out his explanation on the livinlavidalowcarbshow. I would also recommend reading the book "The Enzyme Factor" by Dr. Hiromi Shinya, MD, a world reknown G.I. doctor and inventor of one of the colonscopy tools years ago. They have not proven anything to this point but there has been some promising results including that of a pediatric brain cancer patient that stayed with the diet and was doing well 10 years later.

JakeinNY
                                          Participant

Gene_S
                                            Participant

And the truth will set you free, hopefully from your cancer!    See

http://vimeo.com/user5839944/review/41576097/a55dd9d4d0

Gene_S
                                              Participant

Gene_S
                                                Participant

JakeinNY
                                                  Participant

Here is a piece that can explain the sugar connection very simply but I would much rather recommend the explanation given by Dr. Eugene Fine, MD, on the livinlavidaloca website:

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2012/December/Starving-Cancer-Ketogenic-Diet-a-Key-to-Recovery/

From what I have seen in the actual published trials, the ketogenic diet mostly kept the cancer from growing, but there are several trials going on right now and I hope that they return impressive results.

JakeinNY
                                                    Participant

Here is a piece that can explain the sugar connection very simply but I would much rather recommend the explanation given by Dr. Eugene Fine, MD, on the livinlavidaloca website:

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2012/December/Starving-Cancer-Ketogenic-Diet-a-Key-to-Recovery/

From what I have seen in the actual published trials, the ketogenic diet mostly kept the cancer from growing, but there are several trials going on right now and I hope that they return impressive results.

jamescarter
                                                        Participant

Also, I don't know about sugar processing, but would raw sugar work? I think it tastes better, and you can grind it up pretty fine in a coffee grinder if you don't want it to be so coarse.

herbal remedy
                                                          herbal medicinal

jamescarter
                                                          Participant

Also, I don't know about sugar processing, but would raw sugar work? I think it tastes better, and you can grind it up pretty fine in a coffee grinder if you don't want it to be so coarse.

herbal remedy
                                                            herbal medicinal

jamescarter
                                                            Participant

herbal remedy
                                                              herbal medicinal

JakeinNY
                                                            Participant

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics