The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Did ipi plus nivo work for you?

Forums General Melanoma Community Did ipi plus nivo work for you?

Participant

Hi 

I'm a stage 4. It's been 9 days since my first infusion and I just feel like it's not working yet. I still have all my symptoms from before therapy and they are actually starting to get worse slightly. I also just had a chest X-ray and everything that was in my lungs is still there. Does absence of an early response hurt my prognosis?

Did ipi plus nivo work for you? If not what was your second line? Did you feel like you could tell it wasn't working before scans? If yes, when did you think it started working? Or were you surprised by good scan? 

The reality is that this combo doesn't work for everyone, and want to hear it all. People sharing experiences here has helped me so much.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

9 days is very little time, you gotta give it more time to work. You'll have 4 total infusions with both Ipi/Nivo and then it goes to Nivo alone every other week for a long period.. that amout of time is up to the doc.. mine has me on it for a year. It has worked for me. I know how depressing this diagnosis can be. Especially in the midst of scans and biopsies that just bring bad news. But, there is hope and this drug combo is one of the best to give you that hope. Hang in there, it's not easy, but living each day with a positive attitude and making the most of every moment we have is the best thing we can do right now. Take it one day at a time, try not to let your mind go to the future wondering whether or not this drug will work or what the next scan will look like. 

Wishing you all the best,

Johnjk04
            Participant

January 2012 – melanoma in brain, lungs, liver, gall bladder and adrenal gland.

August – 2012  NED. So far no return of the cancer.

Johnjk04
              Participant

January 2012 – melanoma in brain, lungs, liver, gall bladder and adrenal gland.

August – 2012  NED. So far no return of the cancer.

Hukill
              Participant

You got to give it some time to work. The question you need to ask yourself is "do I have any signs of side effects"? Has the rash started? If you are having any side effects the drugs are working. It may still be a little early for side effects. I got the rash the second week and was so happy. If you have a reaction to the drugs they will work, how much only time will tell. I have been on these drugs for going on 10 months and started with 7 tumors in my lungs and now have only 1 thast is less than 2mm in size and could even be scar tissue from the tumor. You have to be patient.

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Not everyone gets a rash, so don't over worry if you don't get one. I am a responder and never got a rash.

newmanmark
                  Participant

I have been on the combo since December.  I've had some minor complications but the tumour shrank to half of it's size after only 3 treatments.  I will have another scan in June.  Give it some time and hang in there!

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics