The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Diagnosis: You’re getting old

Forums General Melanoma Community Diagnosis: You’re getting old

Participant
      Today was scan results day, and boy were we scared. My partner progressed after ipi/nivo (but only in the bones), And was switched to targeted about 10 months ago. Time has gone by so fast, and we know that this stuff seems to have an expiration date. In the last couple weeks he has had some major pain just below his knee in the bone. We were terrified the beast was back already.
      Doctor came in to discuss results, and said everything looked great. All was stable, and brain Mets were gone.
      We asked about the bone pain, and the doctor said “just how much have you been working out? You have a stress fracture!”
      We laughed as the doctor tried to convince the addicted runner/cycler to just rest for a few weeks. Then questioned why the pain in elbows, and shoulders.
      “You have arthritis. Congratulations, you’re getting old”
      Now, at 42 we don’t really consider that old, but an old age diagnosis was exactly what we needed today.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        gopher38
        Participant
          Funny. Thanks for sharing.
          Bubbles
          Participant
            The immune response triggered by immunotherapy causes lots of joint pain and arthritic conditions for most of us….and can last for years after therapy is completed. So, I imagine that has a good bit to do with how your partner is feeling. Still, as a fellow runner/nivo patient….tell your partner – “Way to gut it out!!!”

Ultimately, “Old age is a privilege denied many!” So, glad your partner is getting to experience it!!! Great story! Celeste

EllieS
            Participant
              I got terrible joint pain after starting target therapy (tafinlar /mekinist). I felt like someone literally took a sledge hammer to my hands and knees,. My oncologist prescribed 2..5 mg of pregnisone.. No more pain, a miracle. So it could be old age or a side effect of target therapy..
              EllieS
              Participant
                I got terrible joint pain after starting target therapy (tafinlar /mekinist). I felt like someone literally took a sledge hammer to my hands and knees,. My oncologist prescribed 2..5 mg of pregnisone.. No more pain, a miracle. So it could be old age or a side effect of target therapy..
                EllieS
                Participant
                  I got terrible joint pain after starting target therapy (tafinlar /mekinist). I felt like someone literally took a sledge hammer to my hands and knees,. My oncologist prescribed 2..5 mg of prednisone.. No more pain, a miracle. So it could be old age or a side effect of target therapy..
              Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics