The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

diagnosis question

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community diagnosis question

Participant

First, thank you for all the helpful and informative posts on this ebsite.  It has helped me become educated while I wait through diagnosis and start of treatment.

I recently had two moles biopsied through a shave biopsy at .5 cm x .4 by.1 cm deep (bisected?).

The nurse called me and advvised me to schedule surgery for melanoma with a general surgeon.  Today the surgeon shared my path report but not so much detail on diagnosis or prognosis, just surgery technique and standards.

The first mole states atypical proliferation of junctional melanocytes:  Favor melanoma in situ evolving from compound calrk nevus. lesion extends to all margins, deeper sections have been examined.  Proliferation og atypical menalocytes at dermoepidermal junction. Melanocytes are large and unevenly placed abd crowded in foci .  second population of smaller uniform melanocytes in the dermis and epidrmis associated with dermal fibroplasia.

2) #2 mole stated unusual because some junctionalmelanocytes are slightly enlarged and heperchromatic and within epidermis and papilary dermis proliferation of solitary and nested melanocytes associated with dermal fibroplasia around rete ridges.  in foci, melanocytes are large and hyperchromatc..

Thank you to all who read and can help, surgeon not really well informed on melanoma, should I ask dermatologist to do WLE or hang in there.  He advised general anethesia, hs anyone just used local and been okay.  Thanks for help on what this is and what to expect next.  This was a scary surprise and trying to learn more about these moles and others I may need taken off.  Work for military and had been overseas several years without a check up of skin in tropical/desert areas. Again THANK YOU and best wishes to all. J

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        dmp
        Participant

Jason-

I am new to this, but you will likely want to get full information on the biopsies and the planned treatment.  You want to know the thickness in millimeters, whether it is ulcerated, if there was any mitotic activity in the sample, and a possibly a Clark level.  Where were the moles?  Did he mention a wide excision?  Sentinel lymph node biopsy?  Others can comment, but I doubt you want to do the surgery with a local.  I certainly would not have wanted my wide excision and sentinel node biopsy performed under local.  

Again, I only have two months experience with this, so hopefully those that know more will correct me.

-D

jason1635
            Participant

Thanks for the assist D.  Ulceration, depth and mitotic activity were not noted–does that mean not present.  I shared the entire path report.  Doc mention a wide excision, felt my lymph nodes said they were fine and that at "this stage"  surgery was next step.  thanks and good luck to you also.  Jason

MTCowhand
              Participant

Hi Jason, I am also new here, just went through what you are going through about 3 months ago.  Your path reports as you describe them indicate that the shave biopsies did not get the entire lesion, meaning there is additional tumor left in at least one and possibly both primary sites.  This is why they are recommending additional surgery, a wide local incision (WLE) and sentinel lymphnode biopsy (SLB), because without this information they cannot really stage your lesion's actual depth or the cancer's spread if present, which then determines future treatments.  It is imperative that you find a surgeon(s) with experience in the melanoma business to do the WLE and SLB, and that further pathology reports are requested to provide better guidance on treatment.  Dermatologists generally do not do this, as this can be pretty serious surgery under full anesthesia. 

jason1635
                Participant

Thanks, was thinking my diagnosis looked pretty positive at first, but looks like it may be more serious.  My friend said Favor melanoma in situ may mean that they are unsure it was that and this was conservative estimate to classify as in situ vs atypical, could this be possible?  THANK YOU

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Yes that could be what it means. No matter what, the worst you've got is in situ (stage 0) melanoma which is confined to the epidermis and has no access to blood or lymph channels so there is no possibility of spread. You only need a WLE to remove extra margins of skin around the biopsy site and regular check ups with a dermatologist to watch for any new/changing moles from now on. I don't like general anesthesia as it makes me very sick, so I had the anesthesiologist give me very little anesthesia and I was half awake during my surgery, but it was much more involed since my melanoma was deep and required a lymph node biopsy. I would say you could probably do these WLEs with local and a sedative instead of the whole general deal, but you'll have to talk to the surgeon about that. In any case, this is not something to overly worry about, you caught it very very early, it's as positive as melanoma can get.

jason1635
                    Participant

Thank you Jenn for the advice about WLE and feedback/interpretation on the path report.  It is helpful and reassuring.  I appreciate you taking the time to post this. all my best to you, Jason

Elaine Block
                      Participant

We're also new to this process, but my husband just had surgery to remove a metastatic melanoma from his back. They took a fair amount of tissue – 7×4.5 cm, depth of 2.6cm — under deep sedation (propofol).  We were back home within 2 hours of the surgery.

jason1635
                        Participant

Thank you all for help navigating both procedure and path report.  Good luck to all of you fighting similar or harder battles.  Best, Jason

jason1635
                          Participant

Thank you Elaine!  

Stlmag
                            Participant

If anyone has melanoma extensive enough to require a surgeon – find a surgical oncologist. 

Stlmag
                              Participant

If anyone has melanoma extensive enough to require a surgeon – find a surgical oncologist. 

ldub
                              Participant

So I had what turned out to be a melanoma in situ removed from my left calf by my "regular" dermatologist.  The biopsy was then read by a dermatopathologist.  I opted to go to a major university cancer center to be further evaluated and have the removal done  by dermatologists who deal with melanoma every single day.  The university dermatopathologist re-read the path sample and happened to agree with the first dermatopathologist.  However, I was advised that there can be over-reads and under-reads on the path by as much as 10-15%  so I was very relieved that the second read wasn't worse than the first one!  I just felt more comfortable having my WLE done by dermatologic surgeons who had done many, many of them.  They know the tricks to get you a good aesthetic result, as well as get rid of all the bad cells.  I just had local sedation for the WLE – no other sedation was even offered or discussed!  They put about 10 lidocaine shots in, but that was it.  In any case, if there is any question about your path results, I suggest getting another read on them just so everyone is in agreement about what is indicated for next steps.  Good luck!

jason1635
                                  Participant

Thank you very much!  I was sent to a cancer center and general surgeon.  He couldnt find one of the biopsy scars and after that talked about taking the 5mm margin without fudging or needing more than that.   My path report showed for both moles "extends to all margins", should I ask him to take conservative measure with this (a little larger cut) or should this suffice?  He had obviously seen melanoma before but not his primary area of expertise.  Is a small shave biopsy ofetn extending to all margins?  Mine was .5cm x.4 cm .1 cm, not sure how big the moles were.  Thank you all!  should get scheduled for surgery tomorrow, just want to ask right questions to get it all and not need more in the future or increase my risks.   There was dermal fibroplasia under the moles, is that common or especially risky or associated with malignancy?

ldub
                                    Participant

The "standard of care" on MIS is 5 mm around the lesion.  Since your lesion apparently extends to the margins obtained from your biopsy, you should have  a 5 mm margin taken beyond that in all directions (including down to muscle fascia). As to your question about whether this is "usual" or not, I don't know specifically how often that happens, but if your original shave biopsy was small, then I could see how that could happen pretty easily.  If more abnormal cells are found in the WLE sample, they may have to take more to get proper margins – you won't know until path comes back from that (yes, more waiting, not fun).   The WLE results in a rather large scar (if they haven't told you how big it will be yet) – which is a little surprising for such a small mole!  My dermatologist at the University center explained that it would be a football-shaped (or ellipse-shaped) section removed, so they can approximate the cut edges of the WLE more easily and reduce tension on it and the suture line.  My scar was about 3.5 inches long for a pretty typical-sized mole (4 mm).   Depending on where your lesion was, you should have a pretty good cosmetic result – mine is two years "old" now and you can barely see it on my leg.  Just enough there to remind me not to take anything for granted and to stay out of the sun!  Good luck – let us know how it goes.

jason1635
                                      Participant

Thank you very much that will help me with final discussion with surgeon about the margins.  Hopefully they can get it all in the WLE.  You are right about the waiting part.  THANK YOU

Kootenay Kid
                                        Participant

My shave biopsy extended to the margin (pigmented area) of the incision. The General Surgeon I've signed up with for the Wide Local Excision is planning to take 1 cm in all directions & says this is "world wide standard". My invasive malignant mole was/is 1 cm diameter, is at least 1.1 mm deep (shave biopsy didn't get to the bottom of it) so I have interest in this question as well. (I'm new to melanoma & haven't had any surgeries before).

Viewing 1 reply thread
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics