The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Diagnosed with Melanoma in Situ (Atypical melanocytic nevus) ?

Forums General Melanoma Community Diagnosed with Melanoma in Situ (Atypical melanocytic nevus) ?

Participant

Hi everyone, 

Recently I was dignosed with melanoma in situ on my right side of back. Had the surgery and margins are all clear. 

Reading my patology report, clinical diagnosis " Atypical Melanocytic Nevous" 

i am not sure what that mens?  My doctor told me its in Situ, very early stage. 

I will ask about that during my next check up. 

I am 33 old white male. 

Thank you. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        looptwelve
        Participant

Mine said the same. "Atypical melanocytic nevous" basically just means it's not quite a melanoma yet but probably will be. It's the same thing as a dysplastic mole.

looptwelve
          Participant

Mine said the same. "Atypical melanocytic nevous" basically just means it's not quite a melanoma yet but probably will be. It's the same thing as a dysplastic mole.

looptwelve
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

So does the "Final Diagnosis" on the pathology report say "Melanoma In Situ" or "Atypical Melanocytic Nevus"?  Because if it is the latter, then that is not considered melanoma in situ.  Can you post your entire path report?  An Atypical melancytic nevus has mutations that are considered atypical, but not yet considered malignant.  They are typically called "dysplatic" or "atypical" nevi.  That term is not the same as melanoma in situ.  Usually, the final diagnosis or clinical diagnosis is the final word on the lesion, and the clinical diagnosis here isn't saying melanoma, only atypical. 

Atypical = some mutations in the cell structure or cell architecture

Melanocytic = melanocyte cells — these are the cells that give your skin pigment

Nevus = mole

Eric
                  Participant

Hi Janner and thanks for reading it. May I ask if you are a doctor to patient?

Final Pathologic Diagnosis:

MELANOMA IN SITU ARISING IN A DYSPLASTIC NEVUS WITH SEVERE CYTOLOGIC ATYPIA. 

Thank you. 

Janner
                    Participant

Not a doc, just a well read patient.  I've read a ton of pathology reports over the years of being on this site and others.  So the Clinical Diagnosis is what your derm thought it might be before going to pathology.  And the Final Pathological Diagnosis is the final word after analysis.  Not all path reports are worded consistently so it's not always easy deciphering info if the entire path report isn't posted.

Janner
                      Participant

Not a doc, just a well read patient.  I've read a ton of pathology reports over the years of being on this site and others.  So the Clinical Diagnosis is what your derm thought it might be before going to pathology.  And the Final Pathological Diagnosis is the final word after analysis.  Not all path reports are worded consistently so it's not always easy deciphering info if the entire path report isn't posted.

Janner
                        Participant

Eric
                          Participant

Thank you. 

Eric
                            Participant

Thank you. 

Janner
                            Participant

So does the "Final Diagnosis" on the pathology report say "Melanoma In Situ" or "Atypical Melanocytic Nevus"?  Because if it is the latter, then that is not considered melanoma in situ.  Can you post your entire path report?  An Atypical melancytic nevus has mutations that are considered atypical, but not yet considered malignant.  They are typically called "dysplatic" or "atypical" nevi.  That term is not the same as melanoma in situ.  Usually, the final diagnosis or clinical diagnosis is the final word on the lesion, and the clinical diagnosis here isn't saying melanoma, only atypical. 

Melanocytic = melanocyte cells — these are the cells that give your skin pigment

Nevus = mole

Janner
                              Participant

Nevus = mole

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics