The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Diagnosed stage pt4b and no health insurance – recommended resources?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Diagnosed stage pt4b and no health insurance – recommended resources?

Participant

I am 32 years old and live in FL. I was diagnosed with nodular melanoma pt4b. I have no health insurance, is anyone aware of resources? I know I need treatment immediately,  the growth started around 5 months ago. I have an apt on 6/28 for a consultation with a surgeon, I know I need will node lymph node testing and likely imaging. Please any information would be good, I am very scared. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        happyfeet123
        Participant

I would first start with social services in your local area.  You might qualify for medicaid.  This is usually based on your family income.  If you don't qualify they should be able to refer you the healthcare exchange in your area.  Usually, they have an advocate that will assist you thru the process.  Also, have you talked to your doctor about this?  They should be able to provide resources to you.  Has your doctor's office discussed with you financially arrangements regarding payments?  Finally, try the American Cancer Society, they have lot's of resources.  Be patient, the process can sometimes be frustrating.  Ask everyone that is assisting you for resources.  Unfortunately, some employees are more knowledgeable regarding resouces in your community.  I wish you the best.  

caman
            Participant

I found this bit of info…Hill-Burton Hospital Program. Hospitals that receive construction funds from the federal government must provide some services to cancer patients who can't afford to pay for their care. Approximately 300 hospitals take part in this program. Call (800) 638-0742 to find the closest participating hospital.

rainrrr
              Participant

Thank you for your efforts. I have been making calls but, resources are in short supply. I will definitely  look into the Hill-Burton program. Although I have read that the governor here has done a large budget cut. But thank you again.

rainrrr
                Participant

Thank you for the advice.  I have been trying to get something through the county but, was not given due process (never called my employer to verify the income I reported or sent me a denial letter) I am hoping to try to apply again. Medicaid services for cancer can be tough as doctors here don't take it or have long wait times but, I will keep trying. 

BillB
                Participant

Hi, depending on the treatment if you need yervoy or opdivo. , or Keytruda both Bristol-Myers Squibb and Merck  have assistance programs for you to receive those drugs. If I had went on yervoy Bristol-Myers Squibb was going to donate the drug. I had the approval letter from BMS.  Your oncologist can fill out and submit theaperwork with you signatures. hope this helps,

Bill

dessie
                    Participant

Have you tried Moffitt in Tampa?  They have loads of clinical trials and some charity care too.

Good luck and keep fighting!!

Dessie

rainrrr
                      Participant

I just called them today to see if they can give me a consultation. Thank you for your help.

rainrrr
                        Participant

Thank you for the advice Bill, really hoping I won't need them but,not holding my breath.

BillB
                          Participant

Hi, I too was pt4b nodular melanoma. Good luck!

Bill

Viewing 1 reply thread
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics