The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

diagnosed melonoma

Forums General Melanoma Community diagnosed melonoma

Participant
      Recently diagnosed with melonoma. It has been removed however tumor was 4.7 mm mitosis was 7 not ulcerated and margin cleared by 0.3 mm. Seen oncologist and had fine needle as I have swollen node and shows cancer from pathology report. Nov 4th under going wide excision to clean up neck get more margin and SLN biospy removing all nodes on left side of neck where original melonoma detected. Well I am scared. My name is Lisa 3o have a family and now after this I have just stopped everything. Depressed anxiety you name it. My biggest fear is dying funny I work as a personal support worker.

They haven’t given me a stage however I have been reading and if it’s in nodes I am stage 3 I guess I’m confused some say two some say three from what I read. So far organs are OK no spread at this time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Your primary was stage 2 but the fine needle biopsy and/or positive SLNB would restage you to stage 3.  Stage 3a, 3b or 3c would depend on the CLND.

This is not a death sentence and don't let melanoma win in your head before it ever does in your body!  

Janner
          Participant

Your primary was stage 2 but the fine needle biopsy and/or positive SLNB would restage you to stage 3.  Stage 3a, 3b or 3c would depend on the CLND.

This is not a death sentence and don't let melanoma win in your head before it ever does in your body!  

Janner
            Participant

lmccann2016
                Participant
                  Thank you very much. Yes from research that staging again came to me. I am stressed I think more from a few few appointments. First one last year said nope don’t worry about it however to remove I charge you one hundred sixty and you will have a big scare. So I just said ok he said he isn’t concerned so I moved on
                  5 month later it grew so bad to derm..sent me off to plastic surgeon then results cancer and he sent me to a lymph node doctor. Yup he said you need tram tent chemo now guarantee it spread to you’d body and they now try to localize it however if isn’t going to cure you it isn’t going to be therapeutic. Told the oncologist two days later he wasn’t pleased with the lymph node doctor recommendations. So now I have moved on to a doctor who is excellent I’m blessed to have a top doctor.

Since August i just feel paralized.

I appreciate your help

lmccann2016
                  Participant
                    Thank you very much. Yes from research that staging again came to me. I am stressed I think more from a few few appointments. First one last year said nope don’t worry about it however to remove I charge you one hundred sixty and you will have a big scare. So I just said ok he said he isn’t concerned so I moved on
                    5 month later it grew so bad to derm..sent me off to plastic surgeon then results cancer and he sent me to a lymph node doctor. Yup he said you need tram tent chemo now guarantee it spread to you’d body and they now try to localize it however if isn’t going to cure you it isn’t going to be therapeutic. Told the oncologist two days later he wasn’t pleased with the lymph node doctor recommendations. So now I have moved on to a doctor who is excellent I’m blessed to have a top doctor.

I appreciate your help

lmccann2016
                    Participant

I appreciate your help

Nkobe
                    Participant
                      I was in your boat last year. I was given the choice of interferon or a clinical trial but only if I was seriously considering interferon, and I was not. So I did observation and here I am at my I year mark with matastasis to more lymph nodes and liver. I myself don’t know what to do but want you to know that staying positive is so helpful. I don’t know if you believe in a higher power or are a spiritual person but that has helped me. I now have a choice to make, conventional therapy, which is ipilimumab and nivolumab or leave this country and try something that has little to no side effects. Please look into hope4cancer.com you can call them and they will go over everything with you. I am still on the fence and get more and more confused everyday. However I do believe they are on point and have been researching this since 1960! Good luck to you and hope that it is in God’s will to get us both through this. I will prat for you.
                      Nkobe
                      Participant
                        I was in your boat last year. I was given the choice of interferon or a clinical trial but only if I was seriously considering interferon, and I was not. So I did observation and here I am at my I year mark with matastasis to more lymph nodes and liver. I myself don’t know what to do but want you to know that staying positive is so helpful. I don’t know if you believe in a higher power or are a spiritual person but that has helped me. I now have a choice to make, conventional therapy, which is ipilimumab and nivolumab or leave this country and try something that has little to no side effects. Please look into hope4cancer.com you can call them and they will go over everything with you. I am still on the fence and get more and more confused everyday. However I do believe they are on point and have been researching this since 1960! Good luck to you and hope that it is in God’s will to get us both through this. I will prat for you.
                          lmccann2016
                          Participant
                            Thank you and best of luck to you
                            And yes I believe in God faith I pray unselfishly I try. I am in Canada not sure what country you are in but in know if Canada we have really great doctors in Toronto

lmccann2016
                            Participant
                              And yes I believe in God faith I pray unselfishly I try. I am in Canada not sure what country you are in but in know if Canada we have really great doctors in Toronto

lmccann2016
                              Participant

John-Q
                                Participant

Anonymous wrote  "Please look into hope4cancer.com ".

See … http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Hope4Cancer 

John-Q
                                  Participant

John-Q
                                    Participant

Nkobe
                                    Participant
                                      SOLE
                                      Participant

I will very humbly tell you that I feel your anxiety and fear as I was myself recently diagnosed with a 3b stage. While everybody here will be helpful and be supportive, it will take whatever time for you to get acustomed to this new reality. Quite frankly, I am not over it myself and I just want to tell you that you are so not alone… All I'm saying really is feel and go through all you need to. The journey is beginning and you, like I, will have to find a way to cope with what happened.

Sincerely, I don't wish to sound like a downer, all I'm saying is you are not alone. No, you are not alone. Come back to this board as often as you need and feel. 

Try to get some rest.

Sole

SOLE
                                        Participant

I will very humbly tell you that I feel your anxiety and fear as I was myself recently diagnosed with a 3b stage. While everybody here will be helpful and be supportive, it will take whatever time for you to get acustomed to this new reality. Quite frankly, I am not over it myself and I just want to tell you that you are so not alone… All I'm saying really is feel and go through all you need to. The journey is beginning and you, like I, will have to find a way to cope with what happened.

Sincerely, I don't wish to sound like a downer, all I'm saying is you are not alone. No, you are not alone. Come back to this board as often as you need and feel. 

Try to get some rest.

Sole

lmccann2016
                                            Participant
                                              I’m sorry to hear. When did you find out. Have you had the sentinel biospy yet. I feel alone though no family like mom dad been on for a long time. I have my husband but I find it hard to talk he is in denial or something. Been to all my appointments alone. But thank you I feel this is already helping being on this board. Helps me have people to talk to that are feeling going through this.
                                              lmccann2016
                                              Participant
                                                I’m sorry to hear. When did you find out. Have you had the sentinel biospy yet. I feel alone though no family like mom dad been on for a long time. I have my husband but I find it hard to talk he is in denial or something. Been to all my appointments alone. But thank you I feel this is already helping being on this board. Helps me have people to talk to that are feeling going through this.
                                                lmccann2016
                                                Participant
                                                  SOLE
                                                  Participant

Dear Lisa,

You seem to be from Toronto and I'm in Montreal!

Which med center have you been in Toronto?

As for me, as you might know, our Quebec health system is really failing us and while I am currently at our Notre-Dame CHUM hospital, I am trying to get a tranfer to the new CUSM McGill center here. I have just had a nightmare experience with Notre Dame so far.

You can look up at my prior posts about my pathology reports. Not knowing your scan results I can tell you that we ate not very far apart.

Let's keep in touch.

SOLE
                                                    Participant

Dear Lisa,

As for me, as you might know, our Quebec health system is really failing us and while I am currently at our Notre-Dame CHUM hospital, I am trying to get a tranfer to the new CUSM McGill center here. I have just had a nightmare experience with Notre Dame so far.

You can look up at my prior posts about my pathology reports. Not knowing your scan results I can tell you that we ate not very far apart.

Let's keep in touch.

SOLE
                                                      Participant

Dear Lisa,

Let's keep in touch.

lmccann2016
                                                        Participant
                                                          Wow. I am close to Toronto and i am now at Sunnybrook science center. Yes playing catch up with posts now reading everyone’s stories. Certainly important information out there. I been reading about drugs treatments and is it true Inferion is not good.
                                                          lmccann2016
                                                          Participant
                                                            Wow. I am close to Toronto and i am now at Sunnybrook science center. Yes playing catch up with posts now reading everyone’s stories. Certainly important information out there. I been reading about drugs treatments and is it true Inferion is not good.
                                                            lmccann2016
                                                            Participant
                                                              lmccann2016
                                                              Participant
                                                                Sorry to hear hopefully things will improve with new hospital. I’m not sure of Quebec health care
                                                                lmccann2016
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Sorry to hear hopefully things will improve with new hospital. I’m not sure of Quebec health care
                                                                  lmccann2016
                                                                  Participant
                                                                  SOLE
                                                                  Participant

Try to get some rest.

Sole

SOLE
                                                                    Participant

How are you Lisa?

SOLE
                                                                      Participant

How are you Lisa?

lmccann2016
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Hi I’m OK thank you for asking
                                                                            How are you? I have been still not motivated and down just want surgery to be over with so I know what is next
                                                                            lmccann2016
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              How are you? I have been still not motivated and down just want surgery to be over with so I know what is next
                                                                              lmccann2016
                                                                              Participant
                                                                              SOLE
                                                                              Participant

How are you Lisa?

imgonnabeatthis
                                                                                Participant

Lisa,

I'm new to this also.  I have far more questions than answers and will defer to the folks on the board that have the experience to provide educated opinions.  All I can add is that you aren't alone.  I'm going thru much of what you decribed.  I'm detached at work and have trouble getting motivated to do the simplest things.  But I think I need to fight that urge.  I've started making plans with friends, my kids, and my awesome fiance.  I may not have the motivation today, but if I plan a fishing trip with my son for Saturday, I know I'll get my butt out there.  That's what seems to be working for me, I realize it might not for you.  I also now find myself sitting in a quiet church more often.  Again, that might not work for everybody.  I just encourage you to find a way to start doing one thing again and know that we have been thrown into a fight we never asked for, but now that we're let, let's win it.

Be well,

Matt

imgonnabeatthis
                                                                                  Participant

Lisa,

I'm new to this also.  I have far more questions than answers and will defer to the folks on the board that have the experience to provide educated opinions.  All I can add is that you aren't alone.  I'm going thru much of what you decribed.  I'm detached at work and have trouble getting motivated to do the simplest things.  But I think I need to fight that urge.  I've started making plans with friends, my kids, and my awesome fiance.  I may not have the motivation today, but if I plan a fishing trip with my son for Saturday, I know I'll get my butt out there.  That's what seems to be working for me, I realize it might not for you.  I also now find myself sitting in a quiet church more often.  Again, that might not work for everybody.  I just encourage you to find a way to start doing one thing again and know that we have been thrown into a fight we never asked for, but now that we're let, let's win it.

Be well,

Matt

lmccann2016
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        Hi Matt thank you for sharing. I hear what you are saying. And good for you to make plans and go. I am so detached right now. I make plans and then cancel them as soon as I wake up and give a shit reason. Working for me right now isn’t acceptable as I already suffer from anxiety and I can’t concentrate to say the least. However Halloween is coming up which gives me the motivation to go out with my daughter so she can enjoy her holiday. Surgery is coming soon and I am scared. I have had many surgery in my life and so much has gone wrong. I am praying I have a good surgery without any complications. Seems almost like I Have become paralized to everything. I made plans for tomorrow and I am forcing myself to keep them. I need to get out of my house. It seems the longer I trap myself in the harder it will to get out. Once surgery is done and I know what I face with proper staging and treatment I will get the strength and fight this. My worst fear is death. I have been a personal support worker for over 10 years seen a lot and I am just not ready to give up and go yet.

Wishing you all the best in your fight I’m here if you ever want to chat

lmccann2016
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          Hi Matt thank you for sharing. I hear what you are saying. And good for you to make plans and go. I am so detached right now. I make plans and then cancel them as soon as I wake up and give a shit reason. Working for me right now isn’t acceptable as I already suffer from anxiety and I can’t concentrate to say the least. However Halloween is coming up which gives me the motivation to go out with my daughter so she can enjoy her holiday. Surgery is coming soon and I am scared. I have had many surgery in my life and so much has gone wrong. I am praying I have a good surgery without any complications. Seems almost like I Have become paralized to everything. I made plans for tomorrow and I am forcing myself to keep them. I need to get out of my house. It seems the longer I trap myself in the harder it will to get out. Once surgery is done and I know what I face with proper staging and treatment I will get the strength and fight this. My worst fear is death. I have been a personal support worker for over 10 years seen a lot and I am just not ready to give up and go yet.

lmccann2016
                                                                                          Participant

imgonnabeatthis
                                                                                          Participant

Lisa,

Be well,

Matt

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics