The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Diabetes as a side effect of Pembro

Forums General Melanoma Community Diabetes as a side effect of Pembro

Participant

I've been on the MK 3475 clinical trial for almost two years.  It's been pretty smooth sailing, joint pain and fatigue were the worst side effects up to now.

All of a sudden my blood sugar has risen, today's fasting was 346 and I've been on Metformin for six weeks and have been watching my diet.

has anyone else experienced this?  I'm very worried they will take me off the study.

thanks,

Holly

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        _Paul_
        Participant

Hi Holly,

I was a type II diabetic before melanoma. I did first ipi and now I am on pembro. While on the ipi I lost control of my glucose and ended up on insulin. The folks at my diabetes clinic are now saying I look more like a type I diabetic than a type II.

When I was on the ipi I developed hypophysitis, a swollen pituitary, which was my immune system attacking my pituitary. If you look up type I diabetes, it is an auto-immune issue where the immune system attacks the beta cells in the pancreas. So even though this has not been confirmed by either my oncologist or my diabetes doctor, I suspect that the ipi (and perhaps the pembro) have had an adverse effect on my pancreas.

At the time I lost control of my glucose, my diabetes was being managed by my family doctor, who specialized in internal medicine. I was very fortunate to have found an endocrinology team specializing in diabetes that also work closely with my oncologist. I am on prednisone as a result of the hypophysitis, and that wreaks havoc with your glucose. When I was first diagnosed with the hypophysitis, my oncologist wanted to treat it with a high dose blast of prednisone, and my diabetes doctor agreed to watch over me and adjust my insulin while I was on high dosage.

You need to be careful when your sugar is above 300 because you can get into a condition called ketoacidosis, which can be dangerous and is something you would need to be treated at a hospital for. I would highly recommend seeking out an endocrinologist that specializes in diabetes.

– Paul.

Hstevens0072
            Participant

Paul, thank you so much for your response! I've not had any high blood sugar issues until now.  Well, once when I was pre-melanoma I was border line but adjusted it thru diet and exercise.

it seemed to me that this just came out of left field!  I also did Ipi prior to Pembro, I've been on Pembro for almost two years. I think the two things are related.

Im terrified they will kick me off the study.  I'm also fearful that they aren't going to give me the infusion next week.

I am being treated by my PCP but have asked for a referral to an endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes.  I'm glad you suggested it, I was beginning to feel like I was over reacting :/

im going to Google ketoacidosis……

thanks again!

Holly

_Paul_
              Participant

You're welcome! The high blood sugar CAN be controlled with insulin. You can get "keto-sticks" at most pharmacies to test yourself. If you do get ketoacidoic you should go to an ER.

_Paul_
                Participant

You're welcome! The high blood sugar CAN be controlled with insulin. You can get "keto-sticks" at most pharmacies to test yourself. If you do get ketoacidoic you should go to an ER.

_Paul_
                  Participant

Hstevens0072
                    Participant

Paul, thank you so much for your response! I've not had any high blood sugar issues until now.  Well, once when I was pre-melanoma I was border line but adjusted it thru diet and exercise.

it seemed to me that this just came out of left field!  I also did Ipi prior to Pembro, I've been on Pembro for almost two years. I think the two things are related.

Im terrified they will kick me off the study.  I'm also fearful that they aren't going to give me the infusion next week.

I am being treated by my PCP but have asked for a referral to an endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes.  I'm glad you suggested it, I was beginning to feel like I was over reacting :/

thanks again!

Holly

Hstevens0072
                      Participant

thanks again!

Holly

_Paul_
                      Participant

Hi Holly,

I was a type II diabetic before melanoma. I did first ipi and now I am on pembro. While on the ipi I lost control of my glucose and ended up on insulin. The folks at my diabetes clinic are now saying I look more like a type I diabetic than a type II.

When I was on the ipi I developed hypophysitis, a swollen pituitary, which was my immune system attacking my pituitary. If you look up type I diabetes, it is an auto-immune issue where the immune system attacks the beta cells in the pancreas. So even though this has not been confirmed by either my oncologist or my diabetes doctor, I suspect that the ipi (and perhaps the pembro) have had an adverse effect on my pancreas.

At the time I lost control of my glucose, my diabetes was being managed by my family doctor, who specialized in internal medicine. I was very fortunate to have found an endocrinology team specializing in diabetes that also work closely with my oncologist. I am on prednisone as a result of the hypophysitis, and that wreaks havoc with your glucose. When I was first diagnosed with the hypophysitis, my oncologist wanted to treat it with a high dose blast of prednisone, and my diabetes doctor agreed to watch over me and adjust my insulin while I was on high dosage.

You need to be careful when your sugar is above 300 because you can get into a condition called ketoacidosis, which can be dangerous and is something you would need to be treated at a hospital for. I would highly recommend seeking out an endocrinologist that specializes in diabetes.

– Paul.

_Paul_
                        Participant

Hi Holly,

– Paul.

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics