The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dermatologist recommendations in the Kansas City area

Forums General Melanoma Community Dermatologist recommendations in the Kansas City area

Participant

Hi all,

This may be a long shot, but I am wondering if any of you can recommend a good dermatologist in the Kansas City area. 

I have not had melanoma, but have had several dysplstic moles removed and have an immediate family member who had melanoma.  I know my risk is high, so I am looking for a reliable dermatologist.

Do any of you have an experience with university hospitals? Pros/cons? 

Or any websites where I could find reviews? I am having trouble finding much information right now.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        slh4448
        Participant

Hi, I live in Overland Park. There are a lot of good Derms here in the city and I went to Dermatology and Skin Cancer Center. They have about 5-6 locations I believe. I went to the center closest to where I live. I had a very suspicious mole that I wanted to be evaluated and I took the earliest appointment that I could get at that time (late May). I saw Dr. Michael Haag. Good doctor and easy to talk to. They have plenty of other very qualified Derms on staff. They have their own pathology labs so they can process biopsies a little bit quicker perhaps.

I was diagnosed with stage 3a Melanoma. They refer all of their Melanoma patients to the University of Kansas Cancer Center. I met with Dr. Joshua Mammen, surgical oncologist. I had my required surgeries in July and now I'm being treated by Dr. Gary Doolittle, a medical oncologist also at KU. He's really good.

I believe KU has been a very good experience (if that's possible) with all of my care. Being a teaching instituition, KU certainly works in a multi-collaborative effort with other cancer centers in the country for all forms of cancer including Melanoma. I visited MD Anderson as well for a second opinion and they said that they wouldn't do anything different than what KU was suggesting for my care moving forward. As a caveat, Dr. Mammen at KU did his fellowship at MDA and trained under the oncologist that I saw while I was at MDA so I felt good about all of that.

Hope this helps in some way and please let me know if you have any other questions…maybe I can help. Good luck!

Stacy

Melodygrace
            Participant

Thank you Stacy!  That was very helpful.  I will definitely be looking into the Dermatology and Skin Cancer Center.  When my mom was diagnosed with melanoma last year, she was also sent to KU.  She is now cancer free.  I know you are in good hands over there.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.  Thanks again for your help!

Melodygrace
              Participant

Thank you Stacy!  That was very helpful.  I will definitely be looking into the Dermatology and Skin Cancer Center.  When my mom was diagnosed with melanoma last year, she was also sent to KU.  She is now cancer free.  I know you are in good hands over there.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.  Thanks again for your help!

Melodygrace
                Participant

slh4448
                Participant

Hi, I live in Overland Park. There are a lot of good Derms here in the city and I went to Dermatology and Skin Cancer Center. They have about 5-6 locations I believe. I went to the center closest to where I live. I had a very suspicious mole that I wanted to be evaluated and I took the earliest appointment that I could get at that time (late May). I saw Dr. Michael Haag. Good doctor and easy to talk to. They have plenty of other very qualified Derms on staff. They have their own pathology labs so they can process biopsies a little bit quicker perhaps.

I was diagnosed with stage 3a Melanoma. They refer all of their Melanoma patients to the University of Kansas Cancer Center. I met with Dr. Joshua Mammen, surgical oncologist. I had my required surgeries in July and now I'm being treated by Dr. Gary Doolittle, a medical oncologist also at KU. He's really good.

I believe KU has been a very good experience (if that's possible) with all of my care. Being a teaching instituition, KU certainly works in a multi-collaborative effort with other cancer centers in the country for all forms of cancer including Melanoma. I visited MD Anderson as well for a second opinion and they said that they wouldn't do anything different than what KU was suggesting for my care moving forward. As a caveat, Dr. Mammen at KU did his fellowship at MDA and trained under the oncologist that I saw while I was at MDA so I felt good about all of that.

Hope this helps in some way and please let me know if you have any other questions…maybe I can help. Good luck!

Stacy

slh4448
                  Participant

Stacy

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics