The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Derm checked my moles, did I male the right decision.

Forums General Melanoma Community Derm checked my moles, did I male the right decision.

Participant
      I have a lot of moles on my head. They all look different from the naked eye but I saw a derm and he looked under the scope. He said under the scope they all look similar and that he’s not concerned at all.

I said is it worth biopsy them and he said no. Now I will admit I’m very anxious and will always think the worst.

I am going to do monthly checks for change, was this a good decision? I was planning to remove about 3 of them but because they look similar under the scope I didn’t.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

In my opinion I believe that was a good choice. If the derm used the scope and there were no worrisome characteristics of any of the moles, then putting yourself through the process of multiple biopsies would not really be worth the trouble. It is always good to do self skin checks and watch for change, if you see any of them change in shape, color, size, texture, start bleeding, anything new, then go back to the derm for a biopsy. Take pictures if you can and periodically take more pictures to compare. Use the same angle and lighting for best accuracy. Try not to worry over nothing right now.

All the best,

jennunicorn
          Participant

In my opinion I believe that was a good choice. If the derm used the scope and there were no worrisome characteristics of any of the moles, then putting yourself through the process of multiple biopsies would not really be worth the trouble. It is always good to do self skin checks and watch for change, if you see any of them change in shape, color, size, texture, start bleeding, anything new, then go back to the derm for a biopsy. Take pictures if you can and periodically take more pictures to compare. Use the same angle and lighting for best accuracy. Try not to worry over nothing right now.

All the best,

jennunicorn
            Participant

All the best,

Cathy M
              Participant
                I believe if there are places that are concerning to you I would still ask the derm to remove and get a pathology on them even if he thinks under scope looks ok. If nothing else for your own gut instinct and peace of mind. Then watch the remaining ones and your skin closely. Melanoma is a very sneaky creature. All melanomas do not look textbook in appearance…not intended to worry you further. My husband is stage 4 Mets lungs and liver and now Mets have started popping up on the skin…mainly face and scalp. They are lighter in color or some even reddish…not the dark color that comes to mind for melanoma. Just for you to consider and again not intended to frighten or worry you. Good luck!!
                Cathy M
                Participant
                  I believe if there are places that are concerning to you I would still ask the derm to remove and get a pathology on them even if he thinks under scope looks ok. If nothing else for your own gut instinct and peace of mind. Then watch the remaining ones and your skin closely. Melanoma is a very sneaky creature. All melanomas do not look textbook in appearance…not intended to worry you further. My husband is stage 4 Mets lungs and liver and now Mets have started popping up on the skin…mainly face and scalp. They are lighter in color or some even reddish…not the dark color that comes to mind for melanoma. Just for you to consider and again not intended to frighten or worry you. Good luck!!
                  Cathy M
                  Participant
                    Janner
                    Participant

CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE!  Take pictures, watch for change.  ONLY method I use.  Take pics of any moles that concern you.  If you have anxiety, this is the ONLY way to proceed.  Then you have an independent eye to help you watch things and you don't let imagination get away from you.  Remember, it's an extremely small percentage of moles that end up being melanoma and it still quite rare in the whole scheme of things. 

Janner
                      Participant

CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE!  Take pictures, watch for change.  ONLY method I use.  Take pics of any moles that concern you.  If you have anxiety, this is the ONLY way to proceed.  Then you have an independent eye to help you watch things and you don't let imagination get away from you.  Remember, it's an extremely small percentage of moles that end up being melanoma and it still quite rare in the whole scheme of things. 

Janner
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics