The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Death and Courage

Forums General Melanoma Community Death and Courage

Participant

I've had melanoma a long time. When I advanced to stage 3 ten years ago, I started contemplating death. I'm not a big believer in these "gifts' they say cancer brings you. I don't feel a bit lucky to have it. But it occured to me long ago, that death takes most people by surprise, and that knowing that your time is short gives you the opportunity to ..make your friendships deeper, bring meaning to your life, and prepare for death.

I've had melanoma a long time. When I advanced to stage 3 ten years ago, I started contemplating death. I'm not a big believer in these "gifts' they say cancer brings you. I don't feel a bit lucky to have it. But it occured to me long ago, that death takes most people by surprise, and that knowing that your time is short gives you the opportunity to ..make your friendships deeper, bring meaning to your life, and prepare for death.

By that I mean.. spiritually and emotionally coming to grips with something we all face, not just all cancer patients, but every single person. The most common event to human beings..as common as birth. Nothing else is so universal. It's also the source of a lot of fear, fear of the unknown mostly.  So you'd think we would ALL be ready for it when it comes. Instead we often spend most of our lives avoiding even considering death.

During times of good health, remissions, I've tried to discuss death with my husband. It took a long while to even get him to go with me and make legal arrangements, wills and such, which really, we should have taken care of when we got married 25 yrs ago. But if I even bring up the idea of say..what kind of funeral or memorial I might want, he gets crazy. I even tried to talk him into making arrangements ahead of time for funerals for both of us, telling him it would make me feel better to just know it was dealt with.So our children don't have to deal with it. He won't hear of it. God forbid I do anything like trying to clean out all the decades of junk I have around this place so he won't have to deal with it later…I have to do that in small doses, while he's working, so he won't notice.

But it's the spiritual and emotional aspects of dying I want to look at most of all, and it seems there is not a single person in my life I can discuss death with, without them breaking into tears. Maybe I need to see a counselor, since I am not a religious person, nor even a believer, I can't see a clergyman.

Still, I feel like I've made progress on my own contemplations of death. I feel much less fear of it now than I did 10 yrs ago. And I'm even comfortable with the fact that melanoma will probably take me one of these days. I don't feel much fear about death itself, since it IS so common after all.

But now I am facing this huge treatment ordeal. I know I need to get courageous, and be strong, but.. I'm feeling weak, and a little resigned. Like, all this time, I've always thought I would win, but now I'm feeling like I am just forestalling the inevitable. I think this is a bad attitude to take into treatment.

Now, I'm also not one of those people who believe a 'positive attitude' will save me. I've been around here a long time, and I've seen very positive people die. And I've seen very spiritual people die. People often talk to me about my positive attitude, and I mostly have one…but I don't believe cancer has a clue or a care whether it's host is positive or despondant.  So I don't think that just thinking about death is going to cause me to die!

Nevertheless…I'd like to set aside these thoughts of death and try to build my courage for treatment. I know that going into it believing it will work will help me face the discomfort of the treatment.

I am not sure how to find a balance. Somehow, I'd like to be able to be accepting of the inevitablity of my own death, while at the same time, visualizing myself making it through treatment and into remission again.

I've seen people here face treatment AND death with such courage, and I'd like that for myself. To face it all with grace and courage. I'd like to find my way to it.

I post this anonymously because sometimes my loved ones read here, and because I believe that these thoughts are in many of us here. 

Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

One definition of  wisdom is "the comprehension of what is true coupled with optimum judgment as to action." Using this, or probably any other definition, you are truly a wise woman. Thank you for your courageous post.

I am not a melanoma patient so I will step back and let the patients respond here. But it is not true that there is not a single person in your life that you can talk to about death. If you are willing to accept a "virual" friend, I'm here. Email me from my profile any and every time you feel like it. The several issues you raised here are too important and too universal to keep to yourself. 

POW
          Participant

One definition of  wisdom is "the comprehension of what is true coupled with optimum judgment as to action." Using this, or probably any other definition, you are truly a wise woman. Thank you for your courageous post.

I am not a melanoma patient so I will step back and let the patients respond here. But it is not true that there is not a single person in your life that you can talk to about death. If you are willing to accept a "virual" friend, I'm here. Email me from my profile any and every time you feel like it. The several issues you raised here are too important and too universal to keep to yourself. 

POW
            Participant

JoshF
              Participant

Hi-

I have to agree that most people don't want to discuss death… I know when I was diagnosed, death wasn't a topic that anyone would breach though I was convinced I was dead. It consumed me and I realized that I was afraid of dying. I'm 40 years old…a young wife, 2 small kids….a lifetime to live. My family & friends wouldn't hear it and I couldn't hear anyone telling me I have life left to live. Given my situation I just thought the worst….metatstatic melanoma=death. I couldn't hear my oncologist say it may be a dermal primary….no primary on epidermis, clear PET/CT scan, my SLNB is clear after having that damn pea sized melanoma in my cheek for close to 18 months. This was April/May2011.

Fast forward to today. Almost 2 weeks ago I had my "2 year scan"…NED. My onc says lets quit the CT scans. Not sure I like that. I continually wait for the proverbial "shoe to drop". So for 2 years I have thought about life, death, my faith etc… and thankfully I have one friend who I grew up with who will talk to me. No one else wants to discuss any of it. This is what I have come away with….I'm not afraid of death….I'm afraid of what it means….absolute finality. I can't touch or feel my kids…my wife….what happens to them….who protects them? At almost 42 years old now…..you don't want to say goodbye. I think about when my grandfather passed….he could have played it out another 6 months to a year. He didn't want to…he was ready….he wanted to go see his wife. I was devastated and didn't want to say goodbye….he was ready. I guess my point is, I pray that we could all go when "we're ready", unfortunately we won't all have that option. I think I have a better understanding of how to manage my emotions. I understand what you're saying and many of us can relate….some probably better than others. We're not all bulit the same and I appreciate the perspectives I get here. I am by far not the most positive person…hell I didn't leave my bedroom for April 2011 until July2011 and that was limited. I stopeed being the outgoing Dad I had been and my life was affected immensly. I questioned my faith…not necessarily my belief but I'd ask does God intervene….look at our world…look at some of the finest people I have encountered on this site and they are in a horrible predicament…just doesn't make sense. What I've come to realize is that I'm a fighter and I won't quit….I believe that's what is important….courage and grace come in the fight and your willingness to continue to fight. I wish you strength and tell you I'm always here to talk.

Josh

JoshF
                Participant

Hi-

I have to agree that most people don't want to discuss death… I know when I was diagnosed, death wasn't a topic that anyone would breach though I was convinced I was dead. It consumed me and I realized that I was afraid of dying. I'm 40 years old…a young wife, 2 small kids….a lifetime to live. My family & friends wouldn't hear it and I couldn't hear anyone telling me I have life left to live. Given my situation I just thought the worst….metatstatic melanoma=death. I couldn't hear my oncologist say it may be a dermal primary….no primary on epidermis, clear PET/CT scan, my SLNB is clear after having that damn pea sized melanoma in my cheek for close to 18 months. This was April/May2011.

Fast forward to today. Almost 2 weeks ago I had my "2 year scan"…NED. My onc says lets quit the CT scans. Not sure I like that. I continually wait for the proverbial "shoe to drop". So for 2 years I have thought about life, death, my faith etc… and thankfully I have one friend who I grew up with who will talk to me. No one else wants to discuss any of it. This is what I have come away with….I'm not afraid of death….I'm afraid of what it means….absolute finality. I can't touch or feel my kids…my wife….what happens to them….who protects them? At almost 42 years old now…..you don't want to say goodbye. I think about when my grandfather passed….he could have played it out another 6 months to a year. He didn't want to…he was ready….he wanted to go see his wife. I was devastated and didn't want to say goodbye….he was ready. I guess my point is, I pray that we could all go when "we're ready", unfortunately we won't all have that option. I think I have a better understanding of how to manage my emotions. I understand what you're saying and many of us can relate….some probably better than others. We're not all bulit the same and I appreciate the perspectives I get here. I am by far not the most positive person…hell I didn't leave my bedroom for April 2011 until July2011 and that was limited. I stopeed being the outgoing Dad I had been and my life was affected immensly. I questioned my faith…not necessarily my belief but I'd ask does God intervene….look at our world…look at some of the finest people I have encountered on this site and they are in a horrible predicament…just doesn't make sense. What I've come to realize is that I'm a fighter and I won't quit….I believe that's what is important….courage and grace come in the fight and your willingness to continue to fight. I wish you strength and tell you I'm always here to talk.

Josh

JoshF
                  Participant

Hi-

Josh

johnbil
                    Participant

I can empathise, completely. Though I've only been recently diagnosed as 3C, it has definitely got me thinking about things. I don't really have a "bucket list", as I've been fortunate enough to be able to pursue everything I've ever wanted.From oyster fishing, to mountain bike racing, and many, many other pursuits. I know that I could live 30 years, and that would be the best outcome, and I will keep myself as healthy as possible , towards that end. But, I've also seen how quickly and unexpectedly things can go south. I'm trying to ease my girlfriend into thoughts of planning, while still staying positive. We've always lived for today, and loved it. I'm pissed about the diagnosis I've received. 

johnbil
                      Participant

I can empathise, completely. Though I've only been recently diagnosed as 3C, it has definitely got me thinking about things. I don't really have a "bucket list", as I've been fortunate enough to be able to pursue everything I've ever wanted.From oyster fishing, to mountain bike racing, and many, many other pursuits. I know that I could live 30 years, and that would be the best outcome, and I will keep myself as healthy as possible , towards that end. But, I've also seen how quickly and unexpectedly things can go south. I'm trying to ease my girlfriend into thoughts of planning, while still staying positive. We've always lived for today, and loved it. I'm pissed about the diagnosis I've received. 

johnbil
                        Participant

deardad
                            Participant

I think your words are very courageous and you certainly have a wonderful gift of being able to express yourself honestly. It's certainly a very valid subject for discussion. I am not a melanoma patient but watched my father loose an 18 month battle to this disease at 65 and I wonder if my father felt like you do. He wasn't able to express himself openly about death  because my mum was paralysed by fear of loosing him. 

In many ways I feel that caregivers should be more sensitive to the patients emotional needs, but I suppose we can't help being who we are. My dad was so positive going into treatments, so I was too….mum on the other hand just couldn't handle it and buried herself away. I don't blame her for that, but I know she has regrets now that he is gone. Since he passed we now know that he did talk about his death with friends.

Sorry I don't think this helps you in anyway other than letting you know that you can express yourself here when you feel you can't anywhere else.

There's enough anxiety for one day…so my advice is to take it one day at a time. 

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                              Participant

I think your words are very courageous and you certainly have a wonderful gift of being able to express yourself honestly. It's certainly a very valid subject for discussion. I am not a melanoma patient but watched my father loose an 18 month battle to this disease at 65 and I wonder if my father felt like you do. He wasn't able to express himself openly about death  because my mum was paralysed by fear of loosing him. 

In many ways I feel that caregivers should be more sensitive to the patients emotional needs, but I suppose we can't help being who we are. My dad was so positive going into treatments, so I was too….mum on the other hand just couldn't handle it and buried herself away. I don't blame her for that, but I know she has regrets now that he is gone. Since he passed we now know that he did talk about his death with friends.

Sorry I don't think this helps you in anyway other than letting you know that you can express yourself here when you feel you can't anywhere else.

There's enough anxiety for one day…so my advice is to take it one day at a time. 

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                                Participant

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

Hstevens0072
                                Participant
                                  I think we might be married to the same man!! I talk to friends and if they cry I just carry on and eventually they stop and we really talk. It’s hard for them too. I’m starting a class at the Umass Mindfulness Center…. Hopefully it will help me put things in the right perspective and focus on what I need to at the time. I’m also getting a small tattoo on the inside of my wrist to remind me that I need to fight and to keep a positive attitude whenever possible. Good luck with your treatment. You can email me if you want to talk.
                                  Holly
                                  Hstevens0072
                                  Participant
                                    I think we might be married to the same man!! I talk to friends and if they cry I just carry on and eventually they stop and we really talk. It’s hard for them too. I’m starting a class at the Umass Mindfulness Center…. Hopefully it will help me put things in the right perspective and focus on what I need to at the time. I’m also getting a small tattoo on the inside of my wrist to remind me that I need to fight and to keep a positive attitude whenever possible. Good luck with your treatment. You can email me if you want to talk.
                                    Holly
                                    Hstevens0072
                                    Participant
                                      Holly
                                      Kim K
                                      Participant

What a great post.

As far as your family and husband not wanting to "deal" with it, if he is unable to, why not ask a good friend of yours, or your kids if they are adult children.  If you recruit a friend and also print out your final arrangements ahead of time, that will alleviate some of your husbands anxiety.

As far as getting affairs in order, just make an appt. by yourself and bring the papers home for him to sign.  Emotionally he may not be able to deal with death.  Much has to do with how we were brought up regarding death.  If it is something not discussed, or done so with hushed tones, he may be afraid or in denial.

On the otherhand, someone raised with death as the logical continueum of life and not to be feared, usually they are better able to accept and deal with things in a mature fasion.  Your husband may not even want to imagine life without you because it is too scary or hurts.  It doesn't make it right, it just is.

Try to do as much as possible without his help as much as that may pain you.  Enlist the help of a trusted person.  This may be the best option and will allow your family to grieve and still not have to sweat the details when they are overwhelmed as the time comes.  It must be sad and hurtful that your life partner isn't able to work with you in support for this most important time of your life.  Since you can't change him, try to work around him as best you can.

As far as the cleaning, my mom is trying to do the same thing.  Unfortunately it takes time.  My brother and I will have to do it in the future…..

Hugs,

Kim

Kim K
                                        Participant

What a great post.

As far as your family and husband not wanting to "deal" with it, if he is unable to, why not ask a good friend of yours, or your kids if they are adult children.  If you recruit a friend and also print out your final arrangements ahead of time, that will alleviate some of your husbands anxiety.

As far as getting affairs in order, just make an appt. by yourself and bring the papers home for him to sign.  Emotionally he may not be able to deal with death.  Much has to do with how we were brought up regarding death.  If it is something not discussed, or done so with hushed tones, he may be afraid or in denial.

On the otherhand, someone raised with death as the logical continueum of life and not to be feared, usually they are better able to accept and deal with things in a mature fasion.  Your husband may not even want to imagine life without you because it is too scary or hurts.  It doesn't make it right, it just is.

Try to do as much as possible without his help as much as that may pain you.  Enlist the help of a trusted person.  This may be the best option and will allow your family to grieve and still not have to sweat the details when they are overwhelmed as the time comes.  It must be sad and hurtful that your life partner isn't able to work with you in support for this most important time of your life.  Since you can't change him, try to work around him as best you can.

As far as the cleaning, my mom is trying to do the same thing.  Unfortunately it takes time.  My brother and I will have to do it in the future…..

Hugs,

Kim

Kim K
                                          Participant

What a great post.

Hugs,

Kim

meeshka6059
                                            Participant

I'm so glad you can express yourself here. It's important to do so and as you can see, many of us will listen and are here for you. Peace and Love, Michelle

meeshka6059
                                              Participant

I'm so glad you can express yourself here. It's important to do so and as you can see, many of us will listen and are here for you. Peace and Love, Michelle

meeshka6059
                                                Participant

Tina D
                                                  Participant

Such a heartfelt post and something each of us on here has had to come to terms with in one way or another. It can be so difficult to have the balance of not denying the possibility we all face ( and EVERY human faces on every given day) , yet to not dwell there and lose out on the opportunities and blessings of each day we are granted. For me, my husband and I  have really had to have discussions over what the homeschooling of our two youngest could look like if I were not here — or even on the days when I am ill from treatments, etc. We did go pick out cemetery plots together. Once that was done, we concentrated again on living each day. My lack of fear over death is directly affected by my beliefs and faith, so I can't separate the two — but I would not rule out talking with a clergy member even as an unbeliever. They would have much to offer, I would expect, in ways of counsel, advice and a very listening and compassionate ear. And, I would suspect most would be more than comforable to offer their time to listen. One simply must be able to discuss these things outside of their own head. We do not have the "luxury" of pretending we will live here on earth forever. My heart goes out to you in the loneliness of not being able to openly have these conversations and I strongly urge you to find someone you can talk with. Sometimes the people who are easiest to talk with ARE those who are outside of your closest famiyl and friends because those close to you have thier own emotions that can be almost too much to handle, it seems. This is a good place, I think, to find those to whom you can talk freely. Email me if you like, I'd be glad to listen. I wish we could meet up for coffe or tea. 

Tina

Tina D
                                                    Participant

Such a heartfelt post and something each of us on here has had to come to terms with in one way or another. It can be so difficult to have the balance of not denying the possibility we all face ( and EVERY human faces on every given day) , yet to not dwell there and lose out on the opportunities and blessings of each day we are granted. For me, my husband and I  have really had to have discussions over what the homeschooling of our two youngest could look like if I were not here — or even on the days when I am ill from treatments, etc. We did go pick out cemetery plots together. Once that was done, we concentrated again on living each day. My lack of fear over death is directly affected by my beliefs and faith, so I can't separate the two — but I would not rule out talking with a clergy member even as an unbeliever. They would have much to offer, I would expect, in ways of counsel, advice and a very listening and compassionate ear. And, I would suspect most would be more than comforable to offer their time to listen. One simply must be able to discuss these things outside of their own head. We do not have the "luxury" of pretending we will live here on earth forever. My heart goes out to you in the loneliness of not being able to openly have these conversations and I strongly urge you to find someone you can talk with. Sometimes the people who are easiest to talk with ARE those who are outside of your closest famiyl and friends because those close to you have thier own emotions that can be almost too much to handle, it seems. This is a good place, I think, to find those to whom you can talk freely. Email me if you like, I'd be glad to listen. I wish we could meet up for coffe or tea. 

Tina

POW
                                                        Participant

Anonymous, we caregivers also have our fears and emotions that we need to be able to express and deal with. I am fortunate in that I have a sister and one very good friend I can talk to. However, the very best help and advice I have gotten is from a grief counselor at our local hospice. Although my brother is not a patient at this hospice, this counselor also accepts private patients and our insurance company pays for the sessions. Her long experience with death and dying really help me understand the seemingly incomprehensible behavior of various people involved with my brother's care (including my brother!). And her personal warmth and empathy makes each session feel like a loving hug. Since I am an agnostic, our converstions do not involve religious beliefs or expectations, which is a relief to me.

This same hospice organization also sponsors two "caregiver" sessions each month which are less intense but also very helpful (and also free). Since some of your main concerns are about how your husband is dealing with his grief, you and/or your husband may benefit from attending a group session for caregivers  or for cancer survivors. Other people are going through the same things you and your family are struggling with and they can help you navigate a way through this emotional morass. I suggest you call some hospice organizations in your area, the oncology department in your local hospital, or the American Cancer Society and inquire about cancer survivor groups, caregiver support groups, or iindependant grief counselors.

Please keep in touch and let us know how things go.  

POW
                                                          Participant

Anonymous, we caregivers also have our fears and emotions that we need to be able to express and deal with. I am fortunate in that I have a sister and one very good friend I can talk to. However, the very best help and advice I have gotten is from a grief counselor at our local hospice. Although my brother is not a patient at this hospice, this counselor also accepts private patients and our insurance company pays for the sessions. Her long experience with death and dying really help me understand the seemingly incomprehensible behavior of various people involved with my brother's care (including my brother!). And her personal warmth and empathy makes each session feel like a loving hug. Since I am an agnostic, our converstions do not involve religious beliefs or expectations, which is a relief to me.

This same hospice organization also sponsors two "caregiver" sessions each month which are less intense but also very helpful (and also free). Since some of your main concerns are about how your husband is dealing with his grief, you and/or your husband may benefit from attending a group session for caregivers  or for cancer survivors. Other people are going through the same things you and your family are struggling with and they can help you navigate a way through this emotional morass. I suggest you call some hospice organizations in your area, the oncology department in your local hospital, or the American Cancer Society and inquire about cancer survivor groups, caregiver support groups, or iindependant grief counselors.

POW
                                                            Participant

Tina D
                                                            Participant

Tina

lou2
                                                              Participant

Well, I am in tears reading this.  When my mother was dying of cancer, not melanoma, I think she wanted to talk to me about it.  But I was too devastated, and didn't encourage her.  Am hoping that my siblings were more helpful, or her siblings.

Now I don't think I will have anyone in the family to talk to if melanoma takes a turn for the worse.  They don't even ask about my health, about a serious chronic condition that I have been coping with for years.  So, I don't tell them about melanoma.  Don't have confidence in the two medical people I have consulted….they didn't agree on what might be a problem beyond the one place that was removed.  And it will be a struggle to get more accurate information.  Not sure what I will do with it anyway.  Already tired of the medical problems I had without melanoma.  So, not sure I can do two difficult  ones at the same time.  What I do know is that being single, I will have no one with their whole concentration on taking care of me, helping to gather information and so on.  This is probably why they say that people with support systems live longer; they prop you up when you falter.  So, I need to look into ways to depart life that are not so fraught–hospice, nurses, etc. and do not depend on family doing a lot for me.

lou2
                                                                Participant

Well, I am in tears reading this.  When my mother was dying of cancer, not melanoma, I think she wanted to talk to me about it.  But I was too devastated, and didn't encourage her.  Am hoping that my siblings were more helpful, or her siblings.

Now I don't think I will have anyone in the family to talk to if melanoma takes a turn for the worse.  They don't even ask about my health, about a serious chronic condition that I have been coping with for years.  So, I don't tell them about melanoma.  Don't have confidence in the two medical people I have consulted….they didn't agree on what might be a problem beyond the one place that was removed.  And it will be a struggle to get more accurate information.  Not sure what I will do with it anyway.  Already tired of the medical problems I had without melanoma.  So, not sure I can do two difficult  ones at the same time.  What I do know is that being single, I will have no one with their whole concentration on taking care of me, helping to gather information and so on.  This is probably why they say that people with support systems live longer; they prop you up when you falter.  So, I need to look into ways to depart life that are not so fraught–hospice, nurses, etc. and do not depend on family doing a lot for me.

lou2
                                                                  Participant

Carole K
                                                                    Participant

What a Beautiful Post and I am sure you have helped many who may be afraid to share these very same thoughts.  This board is a wonderful place for these posts. It brings many to share that otherwise would not. 

I believe most men are afraid to deal with anything having to do with a will and the inevitable thought of leaving this planet.  I do recall my ex would not consider talking about these subjects.  I finally convinced him when dx with Melanoma.  i found an attorney and went myself. It was very difficult and yet I knew it had to be done. I wanted to know my children were with loving family members, in the event of.  You can write your own will sign it and  tell him where it is.  He may in time , on his own without your knowledge read it.  That may encourage him to do the same. 

I can recall when initially dx I was petrified of dieing.  All I could think about were my kids and them not having a mother.  It was extremely difficult and as time moved forward and I have been blessed to be herer 18 years later I have become more accepting of leaving my family.  That being said, it was a very long process and I feel I am finally in a good place. However, will I be in the same place if the time should come?  We don't realy know until we have to face it.  I do recall when dx with my brain met, I was very accepting of what may come.  I somehow found peace withitn myself and knew my children had each other for courage and strength.  I am not a religious person, I am very spiritual and somehow eventually it all clicked.

You are an incredibly storng woman and have a beautiful way with words that will also help others.  So many people have replied and I know it helps each and every one. This is a topic that needs to be brought up.  As a patient, I feel it is my responsiblilty to discuss these issues. My one daughter couldn't deal wioth it and I respected that. The other one was incredible. Everyone is different and will react differently . I actually went to a funeral home to make arrangements after my brain met because I did not want my children to have to deal with it. 

Trust in yourself that you will do the right thing when it is time. You are bright, courageous  and filled with so much love. Please know there are many here who will alwasy be here for you. All we can do is ask for strength to help us through these times. 

sending you healing hugs

Love and LIght

Carole K

Carole K
                                                                      Participant

What a Beautiful Post and I am sure you have helped many who may be afraid to share these very same thoughts.  This board is a wonderful place for these posts. It brings many to share that otherwise would not. 

I believe most men are afraid to deal with anything having to do with a will and the inevitable thought of leaving this planet.  I do recall my ex would not consider talking about these subjects.  I finally convinced him when dx with Melanoma.  i found an attorney and went myself. It was very difficult and yet I knew it had to be done. I wanted to know my children were with loving family members, in the event of.  You can write your own will sign it and  tell him where it is.  He may in time , on his own without your knowledge read it.  That may encourage him to do the same. 

I can recall when initially dx I was petrified of dieing.  All I could think about were my kids and them not having a mother.  It was extremely difficult and as time moved forward and I have been blessed to be herer 18 years later I have become more accepting of leaving my family.  That being said, it was a very long process and I feel I am finally in a good place. However, will I be in the same place if the time should come?  We don't realy know until we have to face it.  I do recall when dx with my brain met, I was very accepting of what may come.  I somehow found peace withitn myself and knew my children had each other for courage and strength.  I am not a religious person, I am very spiritual and somehow eventually it all clicked.

You are an incredibly storng woman and have a beautiful way with words that will also help others.  So many people have replied and I know it helps each and every one. This is a topic that needs to be brought up.  As a patient, I feel it is my responsiblilty to discuss these issues. My one daughter couldn't deal wioth it and I respected that. The other one was incredible. Everyone is different and will react differently . I actually went to a funeral home to make arrangements after my brain met because I did not want my children to have to deal with it. 

Trust in yourself that you will do the right thing when it is time. You are bright, courageous  and filled with so much love. Please know there are many here who will alwasy be here for you. All we can do is ask for strength to help us through these times. 

sending you healing hugs

Love and LIght

Carole K

Carole K
                                                                        Participant

sending you healing hugs

Love and LIght

Carole K

JC
                                                                          Participant

"More than anything, I'm living in the moment," she said. "I really want Americans and all of us to be less afraid of death. And know that it's a passage. But don't go to the funeral before the day of the funeral." 

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57573415/valerie-harpers-great-gift-to-us/

JC
                                                                            Participant

"More than anything, I'm living in the moment," she said. "I really want Americans and all of us to be less afraid of death. And know that it's a passage. But don't go to the funeral before the day of the funeral." 

JC
                                                                              Participant

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics