The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dang it! Darvon pulled by FDA.

Forums General Melanoma Community Dang it! Darvon pulled by FDA.

Participant

Yet another reason for me to hate the FDA, as if I needed one.  People have been taking Darvon & Darvocet for fifty freakin years and NOW oh it's suddenly too dangerous for patients to be allowed to make an informed decision on whether or not to take it.  I have no heart problems.  My heart is regularly evaluated by my doctors.  I should be able to decide if the pain control benefit I get is worth the small risk of heart problems.  But no.  The damn FDA has taken that choice out of my hands.

Yet another reason for me to hate the FDA, as if I needed one.  People have been taking Darvon & Darvocet for fifty freakin years and NOW oh it's suddenly too dangerous for patients to be allowed to make an informed decision on whether or not to take it.  I have no heart problems.  My heart is regularly evaluated by my doctors.  I should be able to decide if the pain control benefit I get is worth the small risk of heart problems.  But no.  The damn FDA has taken that choice out of my hands.

I don't like narcotic pain killers.  They make me throw up like crazy and give me horrible painful constipation.  And they can easily knock me out & make me loopy.  I like Darvon because it's not that strong.  Sure I still have to take anti-nas. meds first but that's okay.  As long as it works.  Which it does.  Sure I have other stuff for when the pain is worse and I want / need to be knocked out.  But how can it be preferable for me to have to switch to Vicoden or Oxycontin – much stronger drugs?

Damn idiots.  grrrrrr

I am having pain issues from my skeletal mets.  I probably need to schedule a pain management appt. as well as my planned home health / physical therapy consult.  I just don't want to end up in a situation where my choices are operate at high pain level every day or be zonked out on pain meds all the time.

I'm up for suggestions.  I have not tried Fentynol patches but I think that's next up on deck.  Yes, I have tried smoking pot and eating pot candy.  The smoking is pretty helpful but I'm not a smoker so I don't enjoy the process (and it's illegal here in TX and I don't want my kids to know yadda yadda yadda).  The candy was kind of a bust – definitely helped some when my vomitting was the main problem, but tastes horrible and smells like tree in a BIG way.

I already take 1200mg of Neurontin for my leg / nerve pain when I did the lymph node dissection.

So I'm looking for something fairly mild but stronger than OTC, preferrably will still allow me to do my normal daily stuff.  Nothing that will knock me on my butt.

whew – enjoyed the rant!

Love,

Amy

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

It's pretty mild, but have you tried Tramadol?  It's the only pain killer I can take without nausea.  It's a synthetic and not considered as addicting as any of the other narcotics.  Davocet makes me puke, but I can take Tramadol with no side effects and… while it might not conquer all my pain…. it helps me.  Hang in there!

Janner

akls
            Participant

Amy,

I agree with Janner.  Tramadol (Ultram) really worked well for my herniated disk pain.  One of my Drs, switched me to Norco though because they didn't like Ultram said it caused bad side effects for some people.  I really liked the Ultram because I could function and it didn't make me sick, and it worked well.

I hope you find something soon to help your pain.

Praying for you.

Amy S. in Michigan

lhaley
              Participant

There is a difference between Ultram and Tramedol.  I can take tramedol with only minor hives. Ultram sends me into a tizzy!!  

I'm sorry to hear about Darvon. It's about the only think I can take! No Vicodan here. 

I hope they find something for you Amy. 

lhaley
                Participant

There is a difference between Ultram and Tramedol.  I can take tramedol with only minor hives. Ultram sends me into a tizzy!!  

I'm sorry to hear about Darvon. It's about the only think I can take! No Vicodan here. 

I hope they find something for you Amy. 

Janner
                  Participant

Interesting, because Tramadol is just the generic of Ultram.  Ultracet is the one that has acetaminiphen in it.  I've taken both and they react the same in me.

Janner

lhaley
                    Participant

Janner,

It is ultracet that I can take, however last year when I needed pain pills after surgery the Dr. was told to write for Ultracet. I'm looking at 2 prescriptions now. One is is Tramadol HCL Acetaminophen Par, that one I can take, the one he wrote was Tramadol HCL 50mg. that one I can't!  Both had Ultracet on the original prescription. I don't know if this was a Dr. mistake or a pharmacy mistake. I do know that now I get the pills before surgery so I make sure and have the right one!

Last surgery (different surgeon) I again told him that Ultracet was the only one I could safely take.  He wrote for Darvocet.  I was on benedryl by the next afternoon but it did seem to take care of the pain better.  I guess not in the future!! 

While looking for these 2 bottles to write down the names of the meds I realized I do have way to many pain pills on hand!!!  lol

Linda

lhaley
                      Participant

Janner,

It is ultracet that I can take, however last year when I needed pain pills after surgery the Dr. was told to write for Ultracet. I'm looking at 2 prescriptions now. One is is Tramadol HCL Acetaminophen Par, that one I can take, the one he wrote was Tramadol HCL 50mg. that one I can't!  Both had Ultracet on the original prescription. I don't know if this was a Dr. mistake or a pharmacy mistake. I do know that now I get the pills before surgery so I make sure and have the right one!

Last surgery (different surgeon) I again told him that Ultracet was the only one I could safely take.  He wrote for Darvocet.  I was on benedryl by the next afternoon but it did seem to take care of the pain better.  I guess not in the future!! 

While looking for these 2 bottles to write down the names of the meds I realized I do have way to many pain pills on hand!!!  lol

Linda

Janner
                        Participant

Interesting, because Tramadol is just the generic of Ultram.  Ultracet is the one that has acetaminiphen in it.  I've taken both and they react the same in me.

Janner

akls
                          Participant

Amy,

I agree with Janner.  Tramadol (Ultram) really worked well for my herniated disk pain.  One of my Drs, switched me to Norco though because they didn't like Ultram said it caused bad side effects for some people.  I really liked the Ultram because I could function and it didn't make me sick, and it worked well.

I hope you find something soon to help your pain.

Praying for you.

Amy S. in Michigan

leni currie
                            Participant

Ok Janner – I will keep mymouth shut ont his one!  lol

leni currie
                              Participant

Ok Janner – I will keep mymouth shut ont his one!  lol

leni currie
                                Participant

Ok Janner – I will keep my mouth shut on this one!  lol

leni currie
                                  Participant

Ok Janner – I will keep my mouth shut on this one!  lol

Janner
                                  Participant

It's pretty mild, but have you tried Tramadol?  It's the only pain killer I can take without nausea.  It's a synthetic and not considered as addicting as any of the other narcotics.  Davocet makes me puke, but I can take Tramadol with no side effects and… while it might not conquer all my pain…. it helps me.  Hang in there!

Janner

jag
                                    Participant

Amy, Honestly, I am just happy to hear that you are still here.  Any changes?

God Bless and good luck with the pain management razz ma tazz.

John

jag
                                      Participant

Amy, Honestly, I am just happy to hear that you are still here.  Any changes?

God Bless and good luck with the pain management razz ma tazz.

John

djpayn
                                        Participant

Amy,

i know that you will do all your research before slapping a fentanyl patch on for pain, but please remember this:

most people that end up on fentanyl have been on other strong opiods(morphine, oxycontin or oxycodone, dilaudid,etc) for an extended amount of time before using the patch. my docs waited 2 yrs. before offering them and when i started fentanyl… they started out with a much smaller dose and worked me up to where i am now.

i will say that fentanyl has drastically helped me and given me my life back in many ways…

nuerontin didnt help with my nerve damage pain at all and regular pain meds like vicodin and lortab werent an option due to the possibility of liver damage from the other ingredients….

i know you are a smart woman and will get all the facts first.. i just wanted to make sure they didnt give you fentayl without preparing your body for it.

i hope you are able to find a medicine that works and doesnt keep you knocked out…

as always, brandi and i love you and will keep praying for you..

dawna

djpayn
                                          Participant

Amy,

i know that you will do all your research before slapping a fentanyl patch on for pain, but please remember this:

most people that end up on fentanyl have been on other strong opiods(morphine, oxycontin or oxycodone, dilaudid,etc) for an extended amount of time before using the patch. my docs waited 2 yrs. before offering them and when i started fentanyl… they started out with a much smaller dose and worked me up to where i am now.

i will say that fentanyl has drastically helped me and given me my life back in many ways…

nuerontin didnt help with my nerve damage pain at all and regular pain meds like vicodin and lortab werent an option due to the possibility of liver damage from the other ingredients….

i know you are a smart woman and will get all the facts first.. i just wanted to make sure they didnt give you fentayl without preparing your body for it.

i hope you are able to find a medicine that works and doesnt keep you knocked out…

as always, brandi and i love you and will keep praying for you..

dawna

glewis923
                                            Participant

Stupid idiotic FDA is all i can say about it.  

Something works and they take it off market.  I guess really we should be mad at the ridiculous lawsuits/trial-SUE lawyers that advertise on TV every 10 minutes.  Anything, any job, any drug can kill someone.  All the lawsuits in world will not prevent this.  ….just make rebels like me score it "on the street" if i have to !!!

Hope you find something, Amy.  Enjoyed my rant immensely.

Love, Grady & Family.

glewis923
                                              Participant

Stupid idiotic FDA is all i can say about it.  

Something works and they take it off market.  I guess really we should be mad at the ridiculous lawsuits/trial-SUE lawyers that advertise on TV every 10 minutes.  Anything, any job, any drug can kill someone.  All the lawsuits in world will not prevent this.  ….just make rebels like me score it "on the street" if i have to !!!

Hope you find something, Amy.  Enjoyed my rant immensely.

Love, Grady & Family.

Lori C
                                                Participant

Hi Amy,

The fentanyl patch helped Will a lot.  He was started on 25 micrograms and ended up with 75 but that is really not a  particularly high dose, apparently.

Some people have some nausea from it but he never did.  He had mets in his hips, shoulders, and ribs.  The pain was pretty bad before he got the patch.  It's worth a try, in my view.

My mom has spinal stenosis and just went on the fentanyl patch as well.  So far so good.

Lori C
                                                  Participant

Hi Amy,

The fentanyl patch helped Will a lot.  He was started on 25 micrograms and ended up with 75 but that is really not a  particularly high dose, apparently.

Some people have some nausea from it but he never did.  He had mets in his hips, shoulders, and ribs.  The pain was pretty bad before he got the patch.  It's worth a try, in my view.

My mom has spinal stenosis and just went on the fentanyl patch as well.  So far so good.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics