The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dang it! Darvon pulled by FDA.

Forums General Melanoma Community Dang it! Darvon pulled by FDA.

• This topic is empty.
    Participant

Yet another reason for me to hate the FDA, as if I needed one.  People have been taking Darvon & Darvocet for fifty freakin years and NOW oh it's suddenly too dangerous for patients to be allowed to make an informed decision on whether or not to take it.  I have no heart problems.  My heart is regularly evaluated by my doctors.  I should be able to decide if the pain control benefit I get is worth the small risk of heart problems.  But no.  The damn FDA has taken that choice out of my hands.

Yet another reason for me to hate the FDA, as if I needed one.  People have been taking Darvon & Darvocet for fifty freakin years and NOW oh it's suddenly too dangerous for patients to be allowed to make an informed decision on whether or not to take it.  I have no heart problems.  My heart is regularly evaluated by my doctors.  I should be able to decide if the pain control benefit I get is worth the small risk of heart problems.  But no.  The damn FDA has taken that choice out of my hands.

I don't like narcotic pain killers.  They make me throw up like crazy and give me horrible painful constipation.  And they can easily knock me out & make me loopy.  I like Darvon because it's not that strong.  Sure I still have to take anti-nas. meds first but that's okay.  As long as it works.  Which it does.  Sure I have other stuff for when the pain is worse and I want / need to be knocked out.  But how can it be preferable for me to have to switch to Vicoden or Oxycontin – much stronger drugs?

Damn idiots.  grrrrrr

I am having pain issues from my skeletal mets.  I probably need to schedule a pain management appt. as well as my planned home health / physical therapy consult.  I just don't want to end up in a situation where my choices are operate at high pain level every day or be zonked out on pain meds all the time.

I'm up for suggestions.  I have not tried Fentynol patches but I think that's next up on deck.  Yes, I have tried smoking pot and eating pot candy.  The smoking is pretty helpful but I'm not a smoker so I don't enjoy the process (and it's illegal here in TX and I don't want my kids to know yadda yadda yadda).  The candy was kind of a bust – definitely helped some when my vomitting was the main problem, but tastes horrible and smells like tree in a BIG way.

I already take 1200mg of Neurontin for my leg / nerve pain when I did the lymph node dissection.

So I'm looking for something fairly mild but stronger than OTC, preferrably will still allow me to do my normal daily stuff.  Nothing that will knock me on my butt.

whew – enjoyed the rant!

Love,

Amy

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics