The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dad with Stage IV…Me with melanoma in situ. Scared

Forums General Melanoma Community Dad with Stage IV…Me with melanoma in situ. Scared

Participant

The title says it all. I am having such a hard time lately with all of this.

The title says it all. I am having such a hard time lately with all of this.

My dad is stage IV and is not doing well at all. He did three rounds of Temodar in the fall and it was working pretty well and shrinking his tumors and then all of the sudden it stopped working. His doctor moved him onto Yervoy or IPI…I can't remember how to spell it but I think it's ipilimumab? He's done two rounds and is moving onto his third next week. He gets a scan tomorrow to see if it's working at all but with the way he's been feeling and acting I'm having a hard time hoping that it's working at all! He's in so much pain and can't hold anything down. He has a large tumor under his left arm and it's getting bigger every day. This all just breaks my heart.

I on the other hand had a mole removed in December that came back as melanoma in situ. Had another removed off my back in February that also came back as melanom in situ. Needless to say I am terrified. Has anyone had melanoma in situ? I just had a little boy this past August and I desperately want to be here to watch him grow up. I am so scared that what is happening to my dad will be me in a few years. I'm going to the dermatologist constantly and trying to stay on top of this as much as I can! My husband checks me over a couple of times a week and we are starting to take pictures. I just am so paranoid now about everything. I swear I feel like under my left arm (where my dad's big tumor is) is swollen and I freak out all the time and convince myself that I have a huge tumor just like my dad. Although I'm pretty sure this can't be the case as I only had stage 0.

Does anyone have any advice or any words of wisdom for me? I am so scared. I hate melanoma. I intend to spend the rest of my life spreading the word about this devestating disease.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        LynnLuc
        Participant

I did Temodar from July 2009 to Feb 2010…they say it stopped working  more than likely in Dec or January because  my melanoma began to grow. They told me that they don't expect Temodar to cure anything, but it just hold it down for a a few months….they sau melanoma outmarts the Temodar and finds a way around it usually 6-7 months…

Perhaps go to the doc and tell him you are a nervous wreck and tell him you are concerned because of your dad's melanoma -and now either real or imaginary you feel a lump under your arm and would like a scan.

Melanoma in situ is stage 0  Melanoma in situ is cancer in the very early stages, when it affects only the top layer of the skin. At this point, the cancer has not spread deeper into the body. Cancer diagnosed at this early stage also means that it is less likely to recur or spread to other parts of the body than melanomas that are diagnosed at a later stage.

Yet you never know if those two spots were the only ones…just get a scan and then you can relax…worrying about it is going to make you life miserable until you know.You are making yourself sick!

I am stage 4 and NED.

LynnLuc
          Participant

I did Temodar from July 2009 to Feb 2010…they say it stopped working  more than likely in Dec or January because  my melanoma began to grow. They told me that they don't expect Temodar to cure anything, but it just hold it down for a a few months….they sau melanoma outmarts the Temodar and finds a way around it usually 6-7 months…

Perhaps go to the doc and tell him you are a nervous wreck and tell him you are concerned because of your dad's melanoma -and now either real or imaginary you feel a lump under your arm and would like a scan.

Melanoma in situ is stage 0  Melanoma in situ is cancer in the very early stages, when it affects only the top layer of the skin. At this point, the cancer has not spread deeper into the body. Cancer diagnosed at this early stage also means that it is less likely to recur or spread to other parts of the body than melanomas that are diagnosed at a later stage.

Yet you never know if those two spots were the only ones…just get a scan and then you can relax…worrying about it is going to make you life miserable until you know.You are making yourself sick!

I am stage 4 and NED.

LynnLuc
            Participant

I am stage 4 and NED.

yoopergirl
              Participant

Ask your doctor if they sent the biopsy to a dermapatholigist, if not have it sent there. My  Dermo said that is the best way to see if it is insitu. Mine started out insitu 2006 but it wasn't read by a right patholigist so my advice is ask your doctor how it was read and then you can relax and just get your regular check-ups by your dermatoligist. My prayers with your Dad I also did the 3 doses of ipi and will have scans done the end of May. I can not have the 4th infusion since I did get the bad side effects.

yoopergirl
                Participant

Ask your doctor if they sent the biopsy to a dermapatholigist, if not have it sent there. My  Dermo said that is the best way to see if it is insitu. Mine started out insitu 2006 but it wasn't read by a right patholigist so my advice is ask your doctor how it was read and then you can relax and just get your regular check-ups by your dermatoligist. My prayers with your Dad I also did the 3 doses of ipi and will have scans done the end of May. I can not have the 4th infusion since I did get the bad side effects.

yoopergirl
                  Participant

deardad
                      Participant

Hi I'm very sorry to hear that you're dad has been so unwell. My father too is stage 4, just progressed on Zelboraf and we don't know where to turn next. I am very stressed thinking about what lies ahead, but don't intend to throw in the towell yet. When my father was diagnosed I was convinced having so many atypical moles that one was melanoma and I still freak out when I feel a lump anywhere even though I haven't even been diagnosed with a primary. I just think It comes with the territory, it's a very traumatic time when a loved one is going through this and knowing that it is potentially genetic in some people you naturally stress out.  In your case it sounds like it is genetic but fortunately your melanoma's were caught early. Stay vigilant as you are, but don't let the worry of it take over your life. You are doing everything you can to catch it early and hopefully it will stay that way. There are a few on this board that have had multiple melanoma in situ and they just are doing like you are, catching them early and each time they are cured.

I hope that your dad receives positive scan results and gets some quality time with his family.

Take care.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                        Participant

Hi I'm very sorry to hear that you're dad has been so unwell. My father too is stage 4, just progressed on Zelboraf and we don't know where to turn next. I am very stressed thinking about what lies ahead, but don't intend to throw in the towell yet. When my father was diagnosed I was convinced having so many atypical moles that one was melanoma and I still freak out when I feel a lump anywhere even though I haven't even been diagnosed with a primary. I just think It comes with the territory, it's a very traumatic time when a loved one is going through this and knowing that it is potentially genetic in some people you naturally stress out.  In your case it sounds like it is genetic but fortunately your melanoma's were caught early. Stay vigilant as you are, but don't let the worry of it take over your life. You are doing everything you can to catch it early and hopefully it will stay that way. There are a few on this board that have had multiple melanoma in situ and they just are doing like you are, catching them early and each time they are cured.

I hope that your dad receives positive scan results and gets some quality time with his family.

Take care.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                          Participant

Take care.

Nahmi from Melbourne

Joan C
                          Participant

First take a deep breath.  I am sorry about your dad.  I am not aas familiar with the treatment for Stage IV so I will leave that to other posters.

But as far as you, mel in situ is 100% curable by removal!  I know it's hard, but try to relax and know that by regularly checking your skin, you will now be in a better position to notice any changes.  Only 8% of all patients have another new primary, so the stats are on your side.

I have to disagree with the person who urged you to "get a scan."  First of all, no doctor is going to recommend a scan for a Stage 0 patient.  PET scans are not without risk, and the benefit to you is dubious.  They only catch larger (over 1cm) growths, and there would be a chance of false positives results, when the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor.

The best thing you can do is be vigilant and get your regular derm checks. IF the anxiety is starting to take over, perhaps look into talking to a counselor of some sort who can help you through this rough patch.  You have a lot going on with an ill father and a new baby, so I would pursue some support that way as a first avenue.

Joan C
                            Participant

First take a deep breath.  I am sorry about your dad.  I am not aas familiar with the treatment for Stage IV so I will leave that to other posters.

But as far as you, mel in situ is 100% curable by removal!  I know it's hard, but try to relax and know that by regularly checking your skin, you will now be in a better position to notice any changes.  Only 8% of all patients have another new primary, so the stats are on your side.

I have to disagree with the person who urged you to "get a scan."  First of all, no doctor is going to recommend a scan for a Stage 0 patient.  PET scans are not without risk, and the benefit to you is dubious.  They only catch larger (over 1cm) growths, and there would be a chance of false positives results, when the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor.

The best thing you can do is be vigilant and get your regular derm checks. IF the anxiety is starting to take over, perhaps look into talking to a counselor of some sort who can help you through this rough patch.  You have a lot going on with an ill father and a new baby, so I would pursue some support that way as a first avenue.

LynnLuc
                                Participant

I suggested the scan because he felt a lump…obviously with his family history snd his in situ . I am coming from a stage 4 prespective…I believe its better to be safe then sorry. My first melanoma was in situ…"and they got it all"…right!

LynnLuc
                                  Participant

I suggested the scan because he felt a lump…obviously with his family history snd his in situ . I am coming from a stage 4 prespective…I believe its better to be safe then sorry. My first melanoma was in situ…"and they got it all"…right!

Janner
                                    Participant

???  I think there are some crossed messages here.  Dad is stage IV and already waiting for a scan.  He has lumps under his arm.  Daughter has an situ and doesn't need a scan.  She is just worried and keeps checking the same armpit where her Dad is having issues.  She doesn't actually have any issues nor does she need a scan.  At least that's how I'm reading things.  Maybe I missed something as well.

Janner

Janner
                                      Participant

???  I think there are some crossed messages here.  Dad is stage IV and already waiting for a scan.  He has lumps under his arm.  Daughter has an situ and doesn't need a scan.  She is just worried and keeps checking the same armpit where her Dad is having issues.  She doesn't actually have any issues nor does she need a scan.  At least that's how I'm reading things.  Maybe I missed something as well.

Janner

Janner
                                        Participant

Janner

LynnLuc
                                          Participant

Joan C
                                          Participant

Nicky
                                            Participant

Hi there.  I am sorry that you are going through this terrible time with your father and your own diagnosis.  My Dad also has melanoma and so do I, so I know how scarey this disease can be when it hits a family.   I am now 11 years NED (includes 2 in situs and more varieties, currently Stage III) and my Dad is 15 years NED.  There are many people on the board who are surviving melanoma, they just don't necessarily post as much, but they are getting on with their lives.   Now that you have been diagnosed with melanoma you will need to be vigilient and get routine check ups but don't let it rule your life.  I'm wishing you all the best and to your father too.

Nicky
                                              Participant

Hi there.  I am sorry that you are going through this terrible time with your father and your own diagnosis.  My Dad also has melanoma and so do I, so I know how scarey this disease can be when it hits a family.   I am now 11 years NED (includes 2 in situs and more varieties, currently Stage III) and my Dad is 15 years NED.  There are many people on the board who are surviving melanoma, they just don't necessarily post as much, but they are getting on with their lives.   Now that you have been diagnosed with melanoma you will need to be vigilient and get routine check ups but don't let it rule your life.  I'm wishing you all the best and to your father too.

Nicky
                                                Participant

Janner
                                                  Participant

YOU are not your Dad.  Was your Dad's original primary in situ?  I suspect not.  Just because this happened to your Dad has absolutely no bearing on this happening to you. 

Your anxiety level is out of proportion to your risk.  This site can aggravate that.  However, your Dad's condition is also a factor.  Have you talked to a doctor about your anxiety?  A counselor?  Maybe some outside intervention can help.

Checking your body daily isn't really a good way to catch melanoma.  The reason they recommend monthly self exams is it is much easier to spot change when you have a little time between exams.  It's much harder to really notice change on a more frequent schedule.  And again, it just brings melanoma into the forefront of your mind.  Get pictures taken.  They are truly an independent eye and can really help anxiety.  You compare against the pictures and have a much better feel for if something is changing.  If you take the pictures yourself, please try to use lighting you can duplicate.  Lighting can make a lot of difference when comparing skin to photos.  DO CHECKS MONTHLY.

In situ is basically considered "cured" once it is removed.  There are never 100% guarantees, but it's about as good as you can get with cancer.  No lymph node checks or scans are recommended for stage 0 – just periodic skin checks.  Did you also know that people with multiple primaries have a better survival rate than those with just one?

I've had 3 melanoma primaries – 2 stage I and 1 insitu.  This month will be my 20 year anniversary from my first primary.  I'm still here, still stage I.  Both my adopted parents have had melanoma.  My Mom has had an in situ.  My Dad is stage III but will likely move to stage IV soon.  He has active disease in his lymph nodes but currently is not planning surgery to remove.  He is 87 which is why no grandiose intervention.  I am adopted, but have a confirmed genetic defect for melanoma.  I'm high risk, but I'm planning on being around for a long time.  After my third primary, I went on a major anxiety and research binge.  It's easy to get sucked in to the fear, but more important to realize that the fear can be crippling.  If you let it dominate you now, then melanoma has already won even if you never progress.  I stay on this site to help newbies (research binge pays off) and give them a sense of perspective.  I can't tell you the number of in situ warriors that have come and gone from this site, and I mean "gone" in a sense that they have moved on.  Melanoma no longer rules their lives.

Best wishes,

Janner

AnnaBanana30
                                                      Participant

I just want to thank you all so  much for your responses. I can't tell you how much it helps me to be able to communicate with others who's lives have been affected by melanoma. The only person in real life I know who's had melanoma is my dad and odviously his situation is not going well so it's nice to hear that some really do live a long time with early stages of melanoma!

I am so incredibly happy to hear that some of you are NED. WHAT AMAZING NEWS!!

These posts have really eased my fears…I have anxiety already and take medication for it. My anxiety has really spiraled out of control with all of this and I really needed to be brought back down to earth. I DO NOT want melanoma to take over my life because you're right! If I let it do that it has already won!! I know I just need to stay on top of things and stay vigilent about sunscreen and dermatologist visits.

Thank you Janner for suggesting checking monthly instead of all the time. This makes total sense!! I guess just me being paranoid I want my husband to look all the time. I think pictures are for sure the way to go and I will try to get the same light every time. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

I plan to stick around and post if that's ok. I know there are many that have a worse prognosis than I do and I hope I didn't offend anyone by being so scared with melanoma in situ. I am praying for every one of you that you conquer this beast!!

I will post an update with my dad's scan results when we get them…

Thank you all again!

Anna, 30 years old

Wife to Jarret

Mother to Colin

AnnaBanana30
                                                        Participant

I just want to thank you all so  much for your responses. I can't tell you how much it helps me to be able to communicate with others who's lives have been affected by melanoma. The only person in real life I know who's had melanoma is my dad and odviously his situation is not going well so it's nice to hear that some really do live a long time with early stages of melanoma!

These posts have really eased my fears…I have anxiety already and take medication for it. My anxiety has really spiraled out of control with all of this and I really needed to be brought back down to earth. I DO NOT want melanoma to take over my life because you're right! If I let it do that it has already won!! I know I just need to stay on top of things and stay vigilent about sunscreen and dermatologist visits.

Thank you Janner for suggesting checking monthly instead of all the time. This makes total sense!! I guess just me being paranoid I want my husband to look all the time. I think pictures are for sure the way to go and I will try to get the same light every time. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

I plan to stick around and post if that's ok. I know there are many that have a worse prognosis than I do and I hope I didn't offend anyone by being so scared with melanoma in situ. I am praying for every one of you that you conquer this beast!!

Thank you all again!

Anna, 30 years old

Wife to Jarret

Mother to Colin

AnnaBanana30
                                                          Participant

Thank you all again!

Anna, 30 years old

Wife to Jarret

Mother to Colin

jnaakins
                                                            Participant

Just wanted to say that I know how you feel. I dont really have a ton of great advice, except to control what you can, and dont stress yourself out about what you cant. That means keep vigilant with your skin checks, follow-ups with your doctors. Get your path report read by another lab, etc. My brother died in 2010 from MM and I currently have an aunt who is stage IV so we know there is a family history. I have also had a melanoma in-situ. I was at the MRF/SCCA melanoma patient and caregiver symposium this past Saturday and I did ask if there was a benefit from the genetic testing for hereditary predisposition. Anyway, thats a subject for another time. lol. Just hang in there and enjoy that sweet new baby! You are doing a great job being proactive about the situation, and chances are good that you wont have your melanomas spread/return. 

jnaakins
                                                              Participant

Just wanted to say that I know how you feel. I dont really have a ton of great advice, except to control what you can, and dont stress yourself out about what you cant. That means keep vigilant with your skin checks, follow-ups with your doctors. Get your path report read by another lab, etc. My brother died in 2010 from MM and I currently have an aunt who is stage IV so we know there is a family history. I have also had a melanoma in-situ. I was at the MRF/SCCA melanoma patient and caregiver symposium this past Saturday and I did ask if there was a benefit from the genetic testing for hereditary predisposition. Anyway, thats a subject for another time. lol. Just hang in there and enjoy that sweet new baby! You are doing a great job being proactive about the situation, and chances are good that you wont have your melanomas spread/return. 

jnaakins
                                                                Participant

Janner
                                                                Participant

YOU are not your Dad.  Was your Dad's original primary in situ?  I suspect not.  Just because this happened to your Dad has absolutely no bearing on this happening to you. 

Your anxiety level is out of proportion to your risk.  This site can aggravate that.  However, your Dad's condition is also a factor.  Have you talked to a doctor about your anxiety?  A counselor?  Maybe some outside intervention can help.

Checking your body daily isn't really a good way to catch melanoma.  The reason they recommend monthly self exams is it is much easier to spot change when you have a little time between exams.  It's much harder to really notice change on a more frequent schedule.  And again, it just brings melanoma into the forefront of your mind.  Get pictures taken.  They are truly an independent eye and can really help anxiety.  You compare against the pictures and have a much better feel for if something is changing.  If you take the pictures yourself, please try to use lighting you can duplicate.  Lighting can make a lot of difference when comparing skin to photos.  DO CHECKS MONTHLY.

In situ is basically considered "cured" once it is removed.  There are never 100% guarantees, but it's about as good as you can get with cancer.  No lymph node checks or scans are recommended for stage 0 – just periodic skin checks.  Did you also know that people with multiple primaries have a better survival rate than those with just one?

I've had 3 melanoma primaries – 2 stage I and 1 insitu.  This month will be my 20 year anniversary from my first primary.  I'm still here, still stage I.  Both my adopted parents have had melanoma.  My Mom has had an in situ.  My Dad is stage III but will likely move to stage IV soon.  He has active disease in his lymph nodes but currently is not planning surgery to remove.  He is 87 which is why no grandiose intervention.  I am adopted, but have a confirmed genetic defect for melanoma.  I'm high risk, but I'm planning on being around for a long time.  After my third primary, I went on a major anxiety and research binge.  It's easy to get sucked in to the fear, but more important to realize that the fear can be crippling.  If you let it dominate you now, then melanoma has already won even if you never progress.  I stay on this site to help newbies (research binge pays off) and give them a sense of perspective.  I can't tell you the number of in situ warriors that have come and gone from this site, and I mean "gone" in a sense that they have moved on.  Melanoma no longer rules their lives.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                                  Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics