The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

dabrafenib trametinib

Forums General Melanoma Community dabrafenib trametinib

Participant
      Hi I am starting this treatment tomorrow. Could anyone give me and info on what to expect please?
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        sandyd77
        Participant
          Hello,

My husband is undergoing treatment with these two oral chemo agents which are also known as taflinar and mekinist. He is stage 4 – was diagnosed in 2018 with back ulceration as original site. Had wide excision and multiple lymph nodes removed. All was clear and we did not have adjuvant therapy at that time. In May of 2019, had a PET Scan and found melanoma had recurred subcutaneously in back at original side with mets to lungs and small lesion on liver. He was put on Opdivo for 10 months which initially stabilized growth but disease progressed. He was determined to be BRAF positive and was put on Taf and Mek in March. He has been taking the meds for a little over a month and we are seeing amazing shrinkage of back melanoma and hoping there are good things happening with the internal mets. Hopefully, this treatment will help to prevent any recurrence for you.

As far as side effects – fever and fatigue have been the main issues but we have managed the fever with Tylenols and it has not gone above 101. He also has developed a rash which we are treating with cortisone. I am really hopeful about the results thus far, and hope this treatment works well for him and for you.

It is important to understand what side effects may occur and what triggers the need to alert your medical team. I am including a link to the drug manufacturer web site that I found very helpful about side effects and how to handle . https://www.us.tafinlarmekinist.com/advanced-melanoma/side-effects/understanding-side-effects/

I hope you adjust to this as quickly as he has and that you have very good results. Luck and blessings to you.

Sandy D.

S.lavelle
          Participant
            Thank you sandy for taking the time to reply. Today is the first day I’m starting it and I really had not thought it was such
            A big deal until I read up on it. We are lucky to live in an age
            When such drugs are available to us. Very best wishes to your husband
              jrtufo
              Participant
                I’ve been on this combo for about 2.5 years. I had trouble with fatigue and fevers initially and have been on a reduced dosage for about 1.5 years without much trouble. I consider it a great combo for me as my tumor was not able to be fully removed yet my scans now show only dead tissue. Try the normal dose, prepare yourself for fever/chill combo and understand that your body very well may adjust (as mine has) over time. Good luck and keep the ibprophen close by.
          Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics