The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dabrafenib side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Dabrafenib side effects

Participant

Hey, has anybody here had any issues with hyperglycemia as a result of dabrafenib (tafinlar)? Hubby's been having nausea/vomiting first thing in the morning which resolves after he eats. Curious if we should start monitoring his blood glucose.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        ecc26
        Participant

Hi,

I'm on the BRAF/MEK combo, not Debrafenib alone, which changes the side effect profile some. Increasing your blood sugar is on the list of possible side effects for Debrafenib, so its definitely possible. I assume your husband was not a diabetic (type I or II) before starting the meds? Have you or your husband spoken with your doctor about it? I would think/hope they could give you some suggestions, especially if he's vomiting. If you're worried about his glucose though don't let them just give him something for nausea. I would think an early morning blood glucose test would be easy enough for them get some answers and forumulate a plan.

Good luck

ecc26
          Participant

Hi,

I'm on the BRAF/MEK combo, not Debrafenib alone, which changes the side effect profile some. Increasing your blood sugar is on the list of possible side effects for Debrafenib, so its definitely possible. I assume your husband was not a diabetic (type I or II) before starting the meds? Have you or your husband spoken with your doctor about it? I would think/hope they could give you some suggestions, especially if he's vomiting. If you're worried about his glucose though don't let them just give him something for nausea. I would think an early morning blood glucose test would be easy enough for them get some answers and forumulate a plan.

Good luck

KYDonna
              Participant

That's another thing I've wondered-why Darryel's (hubby's) onc decided against the combo treatment. I try to be a good advocate, but there is SO much information & so many advances in melanoma treatment now (which is a FANTASTIC thing!) that I don't feel like I have anywhere near enough information!! 

Anyway, as far as we know, there were no blood sugar problems prior to Tafinlar. We were scheduled to go back to onc this coming Thursday, but they are apparently having a scheduling conflict, so that might be pushed back. When we do go, I will definitely ask!

Is the BRAF/MEK combo working well for you?

Thank you for your suggestions-I appreciate them very much!!

kylez
                Participant

Just saw the head oncologist at Moffitt, Dr. Weber, say that in his opinion the sooner someone starts on the combo therapy (specifically Tafinlar and Mekist) as opposed to Tafinlar alone, the better. He said if he was a patient he would get the combo. Specifically by blocking 2 pathways it had a better chance at overcoming resistance for longer. If you and your husband want to follow up on that… you could try Dr. Weber's email contact on this page — http://moffitt.org/research–clinical-trials/individual-researchers/jeffrey-s–weber-md-phd. You can also see Tim Turnhams' post here from the same lecture I went to on the topic of the combo being in general better — http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/some-treatment-option-updates

kylez
                  Participant

Just saw the head oncologist at Moffitt, Dr. Weber, say that in his opinion the sooner someone starts on the combo therapy (specifically Tafinlar and Mekist) as opposed to Tafinlar alone, the better. He said if he was a patient he would get the combo. Specifically by blocking 2 pathways it had a better chance at overcoming resistance for longer. If you and your husband want to follow up on that… you could try Dr. Weber's email contact on this page — http://moffitt.org/research–clinical-trials/individual-researchers/jeffrey-s–weber-md-phd. You can also see Tim Turnhams' post here from the same lecture I went to on the topic of the combo being in general better — http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/some-treatment-option-updates

kylez
                    Participant

KYDonna
                      Participant

Kyle- 

Thank you so much for that information! I am definitely going to follow up and see if we can add the MEK inhibitor. 

I really appreciate the input!! smiley

KYDonna
                        Participant

Kyle- 

Thank you so much for that information! I am definitely going to follow up and see if we can add the MEK inhibitor. 

KYDonna
                          Participant

Kyle- 

ecc26
                            Participant

I've been on them for close to 2 months and yes, they are working. I started noticing a reduction in the size of my subcutaneous (under the skin) tumors in about a week. I just had a scan about a week ago and my internal tumors have all shrunk by at least 50%. Hopefully everything will hold until something more permanant comes along. 

I've also had no noticable side effects since starting the combo (one of the benefits of the combo vs a single drug). I would definitely ask for an explanation about why he's not on the combo. Some doctors seem to want to start the BRAF first, then add in the MEK a little later, but I started them both at the same time and haven't had any problems. To my knowledge there really isn't any drawback to adding the MEK- it increases the overall average length of time before resistance occurs compared to the BRAF alone by at least 3 months and reduces the number and severity of side effects for most people. 

There is so much out there and it's changing so fast I'm not sure any of us ever feels like we have enough information. just don't be afraid to ask questions or make suggestions- his doctor should be able to explain why he's making the decisions he's making and why he thinks one plan is better than another. 

Good luck

ecc26
                              Participant

I've been on them for close to 2 months and yes, they are working. I started noticing a reduction in the size of my subcutaneous (under the skin) tumors in about a week. I just had a scan about a week ago and my internal tumors have all shrunk by at least 50%. Hopefully everything will hold until something more permanant comes along. 

I've also had no noticable side effects since starting the combo (one of the benefits of the combo vs a single drug). I would definitely ask for an explanation about why he's not on the combo. Some doctors seem to want to start the BRAF first, then add in the MEK a little later, but I started them both at the same time and haven't had any problems. To my knowledge there really isn't any drawback to adding the MEK- it increases the overall average length of time before resistance occurs compared to the BRAF alone by at least 3 months and reduces the number and severity of side effects for most people. 

There is so much out there and it's changing so fast I'm not sure any of us ever feels like we have enough information. just don't be afraid to ask questions or make suggestions- his doctor should be able to explain why he's making the decisions he's making and why he thinks one plan is better than another. 

Good luck

KYDonna
                                Participant

ecc-

Thank you so much for sharing your story!! That gives me a lot of hope!! Definitely going to ask about Mekinist. I think Darryel's onc was thinking we'd hold that card to play later, but sounds like we should  combine them! (Darryel would definitely appreciate less side effects!!)

KYDonna
                                  Participant

ecc-

Thank you so much for sharing your story!! That gives me a lot of hope!! Definitely going to ask about Mekinist. I think Darryel's onc was thinking we'd hold that card to play later, but sounds like we should  combine them! (Darryel would definitely appreciate less side effects!!)

KYDonna
                                    Participant

ecc-

ecc26
                                      Participant

Good luck

KYDonna
                                        Participant

That's another thing I've wondered-why Darryel's (hubby's) onc decided against the combo treatment. I try to be a good advocate, but there is SO much information & so many advances in melanoma treatment now (which is a FANTASTIC thing!) that I don't feel like I have anywhere near enough information!! 

Anyway, as far as we know, there were no blood sugar problems prior to Tafinlar. We were scheduled to go back to onc this coming Thursday, but they are apparently having a scheduling conflict, so that might be pushed back. When we do go, I will definitely ask!

KYDonna
                                          Participant

ecc26
                                          Participant

Hi,

Good luck

POW
                                            Participant

I think you are asking an important question. Could you go to a pharmacy and get a blood glucose monitor? They usually cost less than $30 and it might put your mind at ease. And if his glucose is unusually high or low that could be important information to share with his doctor.

KYDonna
                                                Participant

You know, I actually had no idea you could just buy one! Boy, do I feel like a dingbat! I think I assumed that was the kind of equipment you needed to have a prescription to obtain. Anyway, that's a great idea! Thank you so much!

KYDonna
                                                  Participant

You know, I actually had no idea you could just buy one! Boy, do I feel like a dingbat! I think I assumed that was the kind of equipment you needed to have a prescription to obtain. Anyway, that's a great idea! Thank you so much!

KYDonna
                                                    Participant

POW
                                                    Participant

I think you are asking an important question. Could you go to a pharmacy and get a blood glucose monitor? They usually cost less than $30 and it might put your mind at ease. And if his glucose is unusually high or low that could be important information to share with his doctor.

POW
                                                      Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics