The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dabrafenib and Trametinib

Forums General Melanoma Community Dabrafenib and Trametinib

Participant

Hi all, thank you in advance for any input. My sister is 6 months into her treatment on Dabrafenib and Trametinib, she had 4 days off treatment due to an index, however since going back on is experiencing some nasty effects this time, more Severe than before. Approximately 5 hours after taking morning and evening dose, she starts with extreme shaking, followed by vomiting then fever and headache. Has anyone else experience of this. Many thanks 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        skfitz
        Participant

Hi Anni,

This sounds exactly like my husband's experience. He only made it about 2 weeks before the rigors and sever fevers kicked in. His fevers hoverd consistently at 102 – 104, even reaching 105 a couple of times. The doctor reduced his Darafenib from the usual 150 twice a day, down to 100, and now down to 75. He also had to go on prednisone right away because he couldn't even tolerate the 75mg. The steroids helped right away. As an aside, Motrin and Tylenol did nothing for him. I gave it to him around the clock and it didn't touch his fevers or aches. So he was up to 30mg of prednisone at one point and is currently trying to taper. He was down to 15mg prednisone but then got sick again when we tried to raise the Dabrafenib a little. So it's been lots of ups and downs and lots of frustration. I would definitely ask your doc about steroids and dose reduction and see what they say. It hasn't been perfect but my husband has gotten some 3 and 4 week fever-free runs out of it. We are now focusing on intermittent dosing to help him better tolerate the pills. That might be something your sister wants to look into at some point (though there's no real directions on how to do it so it can feel risky). I wish you and your sister the very best and hope you find something that helps her soon. I'm still searching daily for my husband. 

-Shannon

Anni
            Participant

Thank you Shannon for taking the time to respond to me, I will pass on all of your information and we can discuss it with her doctor at the next appointment. I wish your husband well with his treatment and you in your care of him. Take care

Shannon39
            Participant
              I am on these drugs as well (started in Oct.) and experience the symptoms you have mentioned. When fever hits you are to go off the drugs and not go back on them until you have been fever free for 24 hrs, at least that’s what my oncologist has advised. Usually when this happens to me my oncologist sends me for bloodwork which shows my liver enzymes are high. She keeps me off the drugs until they return to normal (takes at least 2 weeks). My dose keeps getting reduced in hopes that the fevers will stop. Soon I won’t be taking much of either drug as it keeps getting reduced and fever keeps happening. I would suggest having some bloodwork done to see what’s going on.
              Shannon
                Anni
                Participant

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond, she will take comfort in the fact that she is not alone. I wish you well with your treatment Shannon

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics