The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Current Concerns in Melanoma treatment and research by Mayo expert!

Forums General Melanoma Community Current Concerns in Melanoma treatment and research by Mayo expert!

• Replies
      Bubbles
      Participant

Hmmm…anon.  Well, Dr. Richard Joseph does acknowledge he gets lots of "great questions", his answers might be viewed as a bit lacking in empathy!  His attitude seems to be:  "Well, you have a 20% chance of progressing, so why worry about adjuvant treatment?"  I wonder how a doc who casually presents that attitude would feel if THEY had a 20% chance of progresssing.  I mean…watch and wait is completely acceptable if that's what the patient wants…the attitude is what seems….well…"interesting"!!!  There is no answer (It's just too soon to tell!!!) provided to a question about what new combo's in melanoma care are most promising….a really important consideration for those who have progressed on current FDA approved therapies!!  Yet, there's the positive presentation of IMO-2125…a whole 9 patients!!!!….with notoriously little information available to tell ANYTHING about it!!  I wrote about that particular trial and "data" here:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/11/imo-2125-tlr-agnoist-combined-with.html  

That trial is in phase III stages now and has been fast-tracked.  I hope for all melanoma patients that that is due to great results not just the money and power behind it (MDAnderson and Idera)!!!  Lord knows we need all the great new treatments we can get!

So….lots to think about.  But basically, while I'm certain Dr. Joseph considers his interview well meaning, in some ways it highlights the point of a post I happened to put up today:

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2018/02/patients-vs-docsagain.html  

As patients, we rely on doctors to diagnose our disease, inform us of our options to treat it, provide the treatment WE select, help us survive our treatment, and pass from this world as painlessly as possible if we must.  When doctors are cavalier about our status, avoid rather than answer our questions directly, or fail to listen to us….we can tell!!!  

Still, all in all, the more perspectives we can attain in melanoma, the better.  Thanks for sharing.  Celeste

Cooper
          Participant

Dr. Joseph trained at MDA, and is a Mayo melanoma doctor but it is better to be safe than sorry in speculating about drugs and how effective they are.  Dr. Joseph has an excellent reputation for saving lives and treating patients extremely well.  I know, I am one of his patients who was lucky to find him.

ed williams
            Participant

Hi Anon, who are you???

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics