The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

CT scan results

Forums General Melanoma Community CT scan results

Participant

Les had her CT scan at Duke two weeks ago.  She was supposed to get a PET/CT with contrast, but once again, insurance got in the way of what the doctors requested.  Anyway, they found a place on her liver, and a small spot on one of her lungs.  The doctors requested an MRI to take a closer look at the liver, but seem to not be excited about the lung.  We head back to Duke tomorrow for the MRI.  Here is what was written about the CT:

CT chest, abdomen, and pelvis with IV contrast

Comparison: Outside PET/CT dated 2/27/2014.

Indication: V10.82 Personal history of malignant melanoma of skin, eval
      for metastases

Technique: CT imaging was performed of the chest, abdomen, and pelvis
      following the uncomplicated administration of intravenous contrast
      (Isovue-300, 150 mL at 3 mL/sec). Iodinated contrast was used due to the
      indications for the examination, to improve disease detection and to
      further define anatomy. The most recent serum creatinine is not available.
      3-D maximal intensity projection (MIP) reconstructions of the chest were
      performed to potentially increase study sensitivity. Coronal images were
      also generated and reviewed.

Findings:
      Chest:
      There is a faint nodular opacity measuring 4 mm in the right lower lobe
      (series 6, image 37). There is bibasilar atelectasis and scarring. There is
      biapical pleural scarring.

The thyroid gland is normal in appearance. There is no evidence for
      axillary, mediastinal, or hilar adenopathy. The heart is normal in size.
      There is no pericardial effusion. The pulmonary parenchyma is normal in
      appearance, with no abnormal pulmonary parenchymal opacities. There is no
      pleural effusion. The central airways are patent.

Abdomen/Pelvis:
      There is a enhancing lesion within the dome of the right hepatic lobe
      measuring 1.7 x 1.3 cm (series 6, image 52). No additional hepatic lesions
      are identified.. There is no intrahepatic or extrahepatic biliary
      dilatation. The hepatic arteries, hepatic and portal veins are patent. The
      gallbladder is normal. The adrenals, pancreas, and spleen are unremarkable
      without evidence for focal lesion.

The kidneys enhance symmetrically. There is no pelvicaliectasis or
      ureterectasis. There are no renal parenchymal lesions.

There are multiple loops of nondilated large and small bowel without
      evidence for bowel obstruction or bowel wall thickening. There is no
      abnormal mesenteric stranding. There is no mesenteric or retroperitoneal
      lymphadenopathy. The urinary bladder is normal. There is no pelvic
      lymphadenopathy.

There are no suspicious osseous lesions. There is a scoliotic curvature of
      the thoracolumbar spine with degenerative changes.. There is a stable
      sclerotic lesion in the left pubic ramus. There is a soft tissue density in
      in the anterior left thigh measuring 2.5 x 1.4 cm, which is likely
      postoperative (series 6, image 125).

Impression:
      1. Hyperenhancing lesion within the dome of the right hepatic lobe, which
      is indeterminant. Differential diagnosis includes both benign and malignant
      pathology (benign: FNH, adenoma; malignant: metastatic melanoma). Further
      is characterization with MRI is recommended.
      2. Tiny right lower lobe pulmonary nodule.

We will be taking a print of this with us to ask questions as there are a couple of things mentioned that concern me that the doctors don't seem excited about.  I am going to do a little research into the medical terminology in the report this evening to try to put things in 'layman's terms' to try to understand better, and be able to ask intelligent questions. Hopefully the MRI will bring good news…

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carole K
        Participant

HI LESLIE'S HUSBAND

I had lung mets in both lungs and did an herbal remedy instead of having my one lung removed.  ten months later had a brain met..  Surgically removed and chose alternative therapy  It isn't for evryone.  IF Leslie, wants to make a deison on threeatment, go with her choice,  Don't look back  If I can be of any help know I am here

Love and Light

Carole K—- i opened my eyes today it's a beautiful day!!!!

Carole K
          Participant

HI LESLIE'S HUSBAND

I had lung mets in both lungs and did an herbal remedy instead of having my one lung removed.  ten months later had a brain met..  Surgically removed and chose alternative therapy  It isn't for evryone.  IF Leslie, wants to make a deison on threeatment, go with her choice,  Don't look back  If I can be of any help know I am here

Love and Light

Leslie’sHusband
              Participant

Thank you, Carole.  I definitely support Les in whatever decision she makes.  I tell her that I've got her back with whatever she choses to do.  Hopefully we will be able to discuss the results with the doctor tomorrow.

Marianne quinn
                Participant

Do not give up hope! My husband has almost the same history as Leslie. We were absolutely devastated when his scan at 14 weeks came back with a small liver mets. Look at my posts for more detail. He had ablation (microwave) surgery of his liver mets and is NED. He also had a small lung thing which has proved to be nothing. The best news is that a July article in the journal of surgical oncology looked at melanoma patients like Leslie and my husband with small liver mets did very well. The ablation surgery was fairly easy. The problem was that he had numerous adhesions in his abdomen due to previous surgery from an auto accident. His mets was on the dome of the liver too. Be sure to talk to an interventional radiologiist. Joe had a hepatic surgeon also due to the previous surgery. Feel free to contact me and good luck 

Marianne quinn
                  Participant

I was thinking that Leslie had been on ipi. Joe had the induction phase of the 10 mg ipi before he was dismissed from the clinical trial.

Marianne quinn
                    Participant

I was thinking that Leslie had been on ipi. Joe had the induction phase of the 10 mg ipi before he was dismissed from the clinical trial.

Marianne quinn
                      Participant

Leslie’sHusband
                        Participant

Thank you, Marianne.  We definitely have NOT given up hope.  She has not had any treatments except for the surgeries.  The only thing she "qualified" for was Interferon, and she chose to pass on that.  We are hoping to have the results back from the MRI on Monday.  Friday's trip to Duke was for the MRI only, no meeting with the doctor or his staff.  The waiting continues…

Leslie’sHusband
                          Participant

Thank you, Marianne.  We definitely have NOT given up hope.  She has not had any treatments except for the surgeries.  The only thing she "qualified" for was Interferon, and she chose to pass on that.  We are hoping to have the results back from the MRI on Monday.  Friday's trip to Duke was for the MRI only, no meeting with the doctor or his staff.  The waiting continues…

Leslie’sHusband
                            Participant

Marianne quinn
                              Participant

Do not give up hope! My husband has almost the same history as Leslie. We were absolutely devastated when his scan at 14 weeks came back with a small liver mets. Look at my posts for more detail. He had ablation (microwave) surgery of his liver mets and is NED. He also had a small lung thing which has proved to be nothing. The best news is that a July article in the journal of surgical oncology looked at melanoma patients like Leslie and my husband with small liver mets did very well. The ablation surgery was fairly easy. The problem was that he had numerous adhesions in his abdomen due to previous surgery from an auto accident. His mets was on the dome of the liver too. Be sure to talk to an interventional radiologiist. Joe had a hepatic surgeon also due to the previous surgery. Feel free to contact me and good luck 

Marianne quinn
                                Participant

Leslie’sHusband
                                  Participant

Thank you, Carole.  I definitely support Les in whatever decision she makes.  I tell her that I've got her back with whatever she choses to do.  Hopefully we will be able to discuss the results with the doctor tomorrow.

Leslie’sHusband
                                    Participant

Carole K
                                    Participant

HI LESLIE'S HUSBAND

Love and Light

Leslie’sHusband
                                      Participant

Good news from the MRI!  The place on her liver that they were concerned about was the benign focal nodular hyperplasia, so no worries there.  They said that it was likely caused by the birth control pills she was on previously.  We're good till March and the next round of scans.

Leslie’sHusband
                                        Participant

Good news from the MRI!  The place on her liver that they were concerned about was the benign focal nodular hyperplasia, so no worries there.  They said that it was likely caused by the birth control pills she was on previously.  We're good till March and the next round of scans.

Leslie’sHusband
                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics