The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Craniotomy for Radiation Necrosis Today

Forums General Melanoma Community Craniotomy for Radiation Necrosis Today

Participant

Hello friends,

I'll have to fill in the details later, but for those of you who know my recent background dealing with ups and downs from radiation necrosis over the past six months as a result of CyberKnife from almost two years ago, l had a significant decline in left side motor control deficits and impact of Decadron steroid side effects over the past week.  After much deliberation, we decided to move forward with a second craniotomy which was moved up from tomorrow to today for simple scheduling reasons.  Most of my team of doctors still believe this is necrosis and not recurrent tumor, although there is a possibility it's both, but surgery will get both, regardless.  We're hopeful that the physical deficits that have affected the use of my left arm, hand, leg, and foot, will not be permanent and that the powerful effects of prolonged (6+ months) Decadron use will resolve soon as I'm able to taper down after surgery.

I will post more for the group later as there are some lessons to be learned, but wanted to ask you all for your thoughts and prayers today as we await an actual start time and go over this not completely unexpected bump in the road.

Best, Joe

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Brendan
        Participant

Hi Joe,

I had my second craniotomy in June 2013 and the recovery was much easier the second time around.  I hope you have the same experience.  Best of luck.

Brendan

Brendan
          Participant

Hi Joe,

I had my second craniotomy in June 2013 and the recovery was much easier the second time around.  I hope you have the same experience.  Best of luck.

Brendan

Brendan
            Participant

Hi Joe,

Brendan

arthurjedi007
              Participant

Good luck Joe.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

Good luck Joe.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Good luck Joe.

Artie

BrianP
                    Participant

Prayers coming your way Joe. 

BrianP
                      Participant

BrianP
                        Participant

_Paul_
                          Participant

I am praying everything goes smoothly and you have an excellent outcome Joe.

_Paul_
                            Participant

_Paul_
                              Participant

DZnDef
                                Participant

I'm hoping it went well, Joe.  Take it easy for now but let us know whenever you feel up to it.

DZnDef
                                  Participant

I'm hoping it went well, Joe.  Take it easy for now but let us know whenever you feel up to it.

Maureen038
                                      Participant

Joe,

I'm praying that everything went well today. You and your family are in my prayers! Take care and let us know when you can how you are doing. Take care.

Maureen

Maureen038
                                        Participant

Joe,

I'm praying that everything went well today. You and your family are in my prayers! Take care and let us know when you can how you are doing. Take care.

Maureen

Maureen038
                                          Participant

Joe,

Maureen

DZnDef
                                          Participant

jualonso
                                            Participant

Good luck Joe,

You inspire to us!

jualonso
                                              Participant

Good luck Joe,

You inspire to us!

Marianne quinn
                                                  Participant

Good luck . Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Marianne quinn
                                                    Participant

Jewel
                                                      Participant

Thoughts & prayers

Jewel
                                                        Participant

Thoughts & prayers

Jewel
                                                          Participant

Thoughts & prayers

tschmith
                                                            Participant

I hope all went well today, Joe!  

Terrie

tschmith
                                                              Participant

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                Participant

Terrie

Marianne quinn
                                                                  Participant

jualonso
                                                                  Participant

Good luck Joe,

You inspire to us!

RJoeyB
                                                                    Participant

Good evening all, my apologies for not updating sooner, it has been a rough couple of weeks, but things are finally heading in the right direction again.  I've been meaning to check in, but the roller-coaster just never seemed to stop long enough.  First thing first, the craniotomy itself went well — it appears that the area of concern was all radiation necrosis (RN), both visually and from the quick "frozen section" pathology conducted during the procedure.  We're still waiting on the final pathology of the entire lesion.  The area of RN had grown to 2.5-cm, which is the same size as the original tumor removed almost two years ago.  Immediately post-op, I was doing well, a minor headache managed well with Tylenol for a couple of days.  I had of course hoped that all of the left side weakness and motor control issues (arm, hand, leg, foot) would resolve quickly, but we still don't know for sure how much I'll get back — there has been some improvement, though. 

Unfortunately, six months on the steroid (Decadron/dexamethasone) took a much worse toll on me than we knew, except perhaps my surgeon, who was as adamant about the need to excise the RN as he was about getting me off of the steroid as soon as possible.  So, following the craniotomy, I spent six nights in the ICU dealing with post-op complications exacerbated by six months straight on Decadron.  With my first craniotomy, I spent one night in the ICU, one in a "regular" room, and I was home the next day.  But this time around, the most serious problem was a deep-vein thrombosis (DVT), below the knee, which is usually considered manageable, but in my case travelled and became a dangerous pulmonary embolism (PE) in my lung.  On my birthday of all days, I had been moved out of the ICU to a regular room, only to start having blood pressure and heart rate issues, leading them to give me a chest CT, discover the PE, and move me back to the ICU for two more nights.  The normal course of action would apparently have been to start me on blood thinners and monitor me closely.  Blood thinners and brain surgery don't mix, though, so they needed to wait a few more days to clear me to start.  In the meantime, they placed an inferior vena cava (IVC) filter up through my groin up into the vein to catch any new DVTs traveling up my leg.  DVT is apparently more common in cancer patients, and again made worse by the Decadron.  In addition to the DVT/PE, my blood pressure was very high, as was my blood sugar, again, all Decadron related.  So it's taken some time to get those things back under control with blood pressure medication, insulin, and now blood thinner.

After all that, in order to regain as much of both the left side function while rebuilding strength lost to steroid-induced myopathy and two weeks in a hospital bed, I'm in inpatient rehabilitation for physical and occupational therapy, where I can work on things for several hours a day instead of several hours per week.  It's both about regaining strength and allowing the brain to heal from six months of edema and learn new motor pathways.  I've been here since the end of last week, not sure yet when I'll be going home, hoping to discuss that tomorrow.  In the meantime, it's now two and a half weeks since Thanksgiving night when I experienced the acute decline.  Being able to move and start physical therapy (PT) has felt good, we'll see how far it takes me.  They've been rapidly tapering my Decadron, which necessarily had to go to an even higher dose post-op.  But tomorrow is my last "demon pill" and then they'll transition me to hydrocortisone as they try to nudge the adrenal gland back to normal function, all coordinated with an endocrinologist.  My blood sugar continues to be well-managed with insulin and I should be able to discontinue it soon after finishing the Decadron, or so they tell me — point being it hasn't made me a life-long diabetic.  Blood pressure, too, continues to do well, even as I increase PT activities.  I'll remain on some form of blood thinner for three months and the IVC filter is recommended to be removed around the same time.

It's all still too close to reflect on lessons learned, other than to say that radiation necrosis is in many ways just as dangerous as a brain metastasis itself and dexamethasone is a powerful, dangerous, but sometimes necessary part of the cancer journey for some.  In hindsight, I think I would have been better off if I'd had surgery a month earlier, but there was no way to know. 

I hope to post again soon.  In the meantime, thanks for everyone's support and concern.

All my best, 
                                                                      Joe
                                                                      RJoeyB
                                                                      Participant

Good evening all, my apologies for not updating sooner, it has been a rough couple of weeks, but things are finally heading in the right direction again.  I've been meaning to check in, but the roller-coaster just never seemed to stop long enough.  First thing first, the craniotomy itself went well — it appears that the area of concern was all radiation necrosis (RN), both visually and from the quick "frozen section" pathology conducted during the procedure.  We're still waiting on the final pathology of the entire lesion.  The area of RN had grown to 2.5-cm, which is the same size as the original tumor removed almost two years ago.  Immediately post-op, I was doing well, a minor headache managed well with Tylenol for a couple of days.  I had of course hoped that all of the left side weakness and motor control issues (arm, hand, leg, foot) would resolve quickly, but we still don't know for sure how much I'll get back — there has been some improvement, though. 

Unfortunately, six months on the steroid (Decadron/dexamethasone) took a much worse toll on me than we knew, except perhaps my surgeon, who was as adamant about the need to excise the RN as he was about getting me off of the steroid as soon as possible.  So, following the craniotomy, I spent six nights in the ICU dealing with post-op complications exacerbated by six months straight on Decadron.  With my first craniotomy, I spent one night in the ICU, one in a "regular" room, and I was home the next day.  But this time around, the most serious problem was a deep-vein thrombosis (DVT), below the knee, which is usually considered manageable, but in my case travelled and became a dangerous pulmonary embolism (PE) in my lung.  On my birthday of all days, I had been moved out of the ICU to a regular room, only to start having blood pressure and heart rate issues, leading them to give me a chest CT, discover the PE, and move me back to the ICU for two more nights.  The normal course of action would apparently have been to start me on blood thinners and monitor me closely.  Blood thinners and brain surgery don't mix, though, so they needed to wait a few more days to clear me to start.  In the meantime, they placed an inferior vena cava (IVC) filter up through my groin up into the vein to catch any new DVTs traveling up my leg.  DVT is apparently more common in cancer patients, and again made worse by the Decadron.  In addition to the DVT/PE, my blood pressure was very high, as was my blood sugar, again, all Decadron related.  So it's taken some time to get those things back under control with blood pressure medication, insulin, and now blood thinner.

After all that, in order to regain as much of both the left side function while rebuilding strength lost to steroid-induced myopathy and two weeks in a hospital bed, I'm in inpatient rehabilitation for physical and occupational therapy, where I can work on things for several hours a day instead of several hours per week.  It's both about regaining strength and allowing the brain to heal from six months of edema and learn new motor pathways.  I've been here since the end of last week, not sure yet when I'll be going home, hoping to discuss that tomorrow.  In the meantime, it's now two and a half weeks since Thanksgiving night when I experienced the acute decline.  Being able to move and start physical therapy (PT) has felt good, we'll see how far it takes me.  They've been rapidly tapering my Decadron, which necessarily had to go to an even higher dose post-op.  But tomorrow is my last "demon pill" and then they'll transition me to hydrocortisone as they try to nudge the adrenal gland back to normal function, all coordinated with an endocrinologist.  My blood sugar continues to be well-managed with insulin and I should be able to discontinue it soon after finishing the Decadron, or so they tell me — point being it hasn't made me a life-long diabetic.  Blood pressure, too, continues to do well, even as I increase PT activities.  I'll remain on some form of blood thinner for three months and the IVC filter is recommended to be removed around the same time.

It's all still too close to reflect on lessons learned, other than to say that radiation necrosis is in many ways just as dangerous as a brain metastasis itself and dexamethasone is a powerful, dangerous, but sometimes necessary part of the cancer journey for some.  In hindsight, I think I would have been better off if I'd had surgery a month earlier, but there was no way to know. 

I hope to post again soon.  In the meantime, thanks for everyone's support and concern.

All my best, 
                                                                        Joe
                                                                          BrianP
                                                                          Participant

Hallelujah Joe. Your absence was beginning to worry us. This place just isn't the same without you. I'm glad to hear things are trending in the right direction. Hope that continues. Take care Joe. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                                            Participant

Hallelujah Joe. Your absence was beginning to worry us. This place just isn't the same without you. I'm glad to hear things are trending in the right direction. Hope that continues. Take care Joe. 

Brian

Brendan
                                                                              Participant

Hi, Joe. Good luck with your recovery.

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                Participant

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                  Participant

Brendan

BrianP
                                                                                    Participant

Brian

RJoeyB
                                                                                    Participant

All my best, 
                                                                                      Joe
                                                                                  Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics