The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Course of spread through lymph nodes?

Forums General Melanoma Community Course of spread through lymph nodes?

Participant

I just wondered if anyone knew of the typical course of spread via lymph nodes in groin. I've been told that typically there is spread to groin nodes (surface nodes) and it then travels to 'deeper' pelvic nodes. Is this the case? Anyone have spread to pelvic nodes with only very small amount to one groin one and/or spread to pelvic without any spread to groin? 

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Aloha14
        Participant

I had spread to the first sentinel node that was closer to the surface. The next sentinel node was a deep one and there was no melanoma in it. 

Aloha14
          Participant

I had spread to the first sentinel node that was closer to the surface. The next sentinel node was a deep one and there was no melanoma in it. 

jennunicorn
            Participant

I had 4 lymph nodes taken out during my SLNB. 3 were sentinel lymph nodes, two inguinal (in groin) and one pelvic. 1 lymph node removed was non-sentinel and was negative for melanoma at the time. So, I guess there can be sentinel nodes in the pelvic region which means that melanoma can spread to a deeper sentinel lymph node. The melanoma cells were all microscopic and stayed within the lymph nodes.

jennunicorn
              Participant

I had 4 lymph nodes taken out during my SLNB. 3 were sentinel lymph nodes, two inguinal (in groin) and one pelvic. 1 lymph node removed was non-sentinel and was negative for melanoma at the time. So, I guess there can be sentinel nodes in the pelvic region which means that melanoma can spread to a deeper sentinel lymph node. The melanoma cells were all microscopic and stayed within the lymph nodes.

AvaL
                Participant

Thanks for these replies. There was a node mapped in the sentinel node mapping just where my hip bone is. So I'm assuming that it was sentinel. The surgeon didn't take it tho for testing as apparently SNLB doesn't usually take deep lymph nodes. His reasoning was that it tends to spread to surface nodes before deeper ones. I had a positive in my groin and CLND to that area. Guess it still makes me nervous knowing that  the hip one (I assume pelvis) remains and was untested. It also was closer (distance wise). 

jennunicorn
                    Participant

I guess it is just up to the discretion of the surgeon if they take a deeper lymph node. In my opinion, he should have taken it, my surgeon did and didn't act like that was unusual or hard to do and didn't make my recovery longer or anything. Are you sure they didn't take some from the pelvic area during the CLND? Sorry you have to deal with this feeling of what if with it being in there still, that's not fair to you.

jennunicorn
                      Participant

I guess it is just up to the discretion of the surgeon if they take a deeper lymph node. In my opinion, he should have taken it, my surgeon did and didn't act like that was unusual or hard to do and didn't make my recovery longer or anything. Are you sure they didn't take some from the pelvic area during the CLND? Sorry you have to deal with this feeling of what if with it being in there still, that's not fair to you.

AvaL
                      Participant

Thanks for these replies. There was a node mapped in the sentinel node mapping just where my hip bone is. So I'm assuming that it was sentinel. The surgeon didn't take it tho for testing as apparently SNLB doesn't usually take deep lymph nodes. His reasoning was that it tends to spread to surface nodes before deeper ones. I had a positive in my groin and CLND to that area. Guess it still makes me nervous knowing that  the hip one (I assume pelvis) remains and was untested. It also was closer (distance wise). 

MichelleRHG
                        Participant
                          My first surgery was done locally 7 years ago with negative groin sentinel node. After 2 recent recurrences, my new surgeon at MDAnderson had a theory that I had 1 sentinel node in groin and 1 deep in the hip area at the same time based on current pathology. The tumor drained in opposite directions to 2 different sentinel nodes . She says this is rare and of course there is no proof. Basically I just had a large positive node removed from groin in November and another large one in deep pelvis/hip found in December. All 37 other nodes removed between the 2 recent surgeries were negative. I think the drainage system can be unpredictable. I have also learned some surgeons want to remove deep pelvic nodes also in the case of a larger positive groin node. Others are more conservative . pros and cons for both .
                          MichelleRHG
                          Participant
                            My first surgery was done locally 7 years ago with negative groin sentinel node. After 2 recent recurrences, my new surgeon at MDAnderson had a theory that I had 1 sentinel node in groin and 1 deep in the hip area at the same time based on current pathology. The tumor drained in opposite directions to 2 different sentinel nodes . She says this is rare and of course there is no proof. Basically I just had a large positive node removed from groin in November and another large one in deep pelvis/hip found in December. All 37 other nodes removed between the 2 recent surgeries were negative. I think the drainage system can be unpredictable. I have also learned some surgeons want to remove deep pelvic nodes also in the case of a larger positive groin node. Others are more conservative . pros and cons for both .
                        Viewing 7 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics