The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

could this be melanoma in the kidney?

Forums General Melanoma Community could this be melanoma in the kidney?

Participant

I just had blood work done by my primary care doctor and it showed lymphocites low creatinine high,along with several other things that were flagged. I was at my oncologist and had blood work done about a month ago where nothing showed up abnormal.  I'm scheduled to go to a nephrologist, have an ultrasound done and some more lab work, so my primary care doctor clearly thinks we need further checking. Might this be something to do with melanoma, or am I looking at something entirely different?  I'm in good health otherwise.

I just had blood work done by my primary care doctor and it showed lymphocites low creatinine high,along with several other things that were flagged. I was at my oncologist and had blood work done about a month ago where nothing showed up abnormal.  I'm scheduled to go to a nephrologist, have an ultrasound done and some more lab work, so my primary care doctor clearly thinks we need further checking. Might this be something to do with melanoma, or am I looking at something entirely different?  I'm in good health otherwise.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        W.
        Participant

Hi,

what stage are you? I think whether this could be related to melanoma depends a lot on your current stage.

rj
            Participant

Stage 3C–metastasized to lymph nodes.

W.
              Participant

I'm obviously not a doctor, but  I would say that at stage 3C, the possibility of renal metastasis should be considered, but it is still unlikely that this is caused by melanoma. I have never read of someone here where the first sign of organ involvement were kidney problems. So that would be untypical.

Did you do any type of systemic treatment (interferon, chemo)? Low lymphocytes could probably be caused by such treatment.

rj
                Participant

That sounds good to me!  I did interferon but finished in May, and everything has looked good until last week.  I have lab work done about every couple months between all my doctors.  It seems sudden and the doctor (PCP)  immediately ordered more lab work and ultrasound.  At least he didn't say to schedule an appt with melanoma oncologist so I take that as a good sign. 

rj
                  Participant

That sounds good to me!  I did interferon but finished in May, and everything has looked good until last week.  I have lab work done about every couple months between all my doctors.  It seems sudden and the doctor (PCP)  immediately ordered more lab work and ultrasound.  At least he didn't say to schedule an appt with melanoma oncologist so I take that as a good sign. 

W.
                    Participant

I'm obviously not a doctor, but  I would say that at stage 3C, the possibility of renal metastasis should be considered, but it is still unlikely that this is caused by melanoma. I have never read of someone here where the first sign of organ involvement were kidney problems. So that would be untypical.

Did you do any type of systemic treatment (interferon, chemo)? Low lymphocytes could probably be caused by such treatment.

rj
                      Participant

Stage 3C–metastasized to lymph nodes.

W.
                      Participant

Hi,

what stage are you? I think whether this could be related to melanoma depends a lot on your current stage.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics