The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Could this be melanoma? Abnormal bump on face, advice please!

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Could this be melanoma? Abnormal bump on face, advice please!

Participant

I'm not sure how to post photos on this forum using a URL..but I made the photo my profile picture (sorry for the inconvenience, I greatly appreciate any advice/input! Also, sorry if I sound ignorant or paranoid. I don't know much about this other than what google told me.)

Two weekends ago I woke up to a bump on my cheekbone. Right away I noticed that it wasn't like any zit I'd ever had. It's fairly large yet doesn't seem to have pus in it (a very tiny bit of discharge came out when I just barely touched the bump yesterday, I have not been picking on it so my photo is how it looks all the time). It is not sore/tender at all even when pushed on. I only ever get a few mild zits per year. The photo on my page was taken January 20th. The bump doesn't seem to have changed in size at all. 

I'm a 28 year old female, the only cancer in my family so far was an aunt with colon cancer and my grandpa with bladder cancer. However, I spend a lot of time on the beach (in Minnesota, so only for a few months each year) and I've never worn sunblock… my skin never burns but I do tan pretty fast. Also, I have quite a lot of moles (when I was 12 I counted them for fun and got about 100!)

I'm only going off of google image searches but my bump looks fairly sinilar to images of nodular melanoma. 

I showed a couple friends and they think I'm overracting so I'd appreciate any comments! I don't want to be the sillyhead who asks her doctor to check out a harmless zit. But it's already been on my face for two weeks and apparently nodular melanoma grows into your tissue within a couple months.

Thank you to anyone who takes their time to help me out! I greatly appreciate it. (:

-Dawn

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        dessie
        Participant

Dawn,

Best to get to a dermatologist or at least your primary.  Rather to be "paranoid" than not to have addressed a potential life changer.  There was no melanoma in my family either .

Good luck and call your doctor  Monday.

D

anachroniclogic
          Participant

Okay I figured out how to post photos with a URL! (: both photos were taken on the same day, they just have different lighting.

Janner
            Participant

Just for perspective, my cancer derm has a 6 week rule.  If it hasn't improved in 6 weeks, time for biopsy.  Not saying you should wait 6 weeks if you are concerned, but sometimes things do take a little bit longer to get better on their own.  Since it is on your face, I actually think there are other things it could be – different type of cyst even.  As always, if you are concerned, you should get it checked out by a doc.

MichelleRHG
              Participant
                You are not a sillyhead! If you think it should be biopsied have a dermatologist do so. My primary looked nothing like a typical melanoma and derm thought it was benign but I insisted it come off. Chances are yours is fine, but a biopsy won’t hurt anything. Good luck to you. Try not to worry!
                casagrayson
                Participant

My assumption is that it is some type of boil or cyst … but there is no reason to just watch and worry.  Check with a dermatologist and ease your mind!

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics