The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

cost of MDX 1106

Forums General Melanoma Community cost of MDX 1106

Participant

We are considering going to Memorial Sloan Kettering for the Anti PD 1 trial but we are from Canada and are trying to get at least an approx cost for enrolling in a trial in the states.  I spoke with them and they are unwilling to tell us any info unless we go down for a consult.  Our Oncologist has already talked with Dr.

We are considering going to Memorial Sloan Kettering for the Anti PD 1 trial but we are from Canada and are trying to get at least an approx cost for enrolling in a trial in the states.  I spoke with them and they are unwilling to tell us any info unless we go down for a consult.  Our Oncologist has already talked with Dr. Wolchok about us but before we commit (we are a youngish family with 3 kids under 5) we need to know the approx cost – Derek is not willing to go down and "waste" money on something they may not work so I trying to convince and need this info first.

Hope someone can help (he as a late responder to ipi and it worked for abotu 6 mos)

Thank-you

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

I don't know that my experiences will apply to you as I am in an anti-PD1 trial in Tampa, Florida at Moffitt Cancer Center not at the facility you are considering….and I am a resident of the US.  At any rate, since I live in TN, I drive to Atlanta and fly to Tampa on my own dime.  The MDX1106 if "FREE", provided by the drug company.  My insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield) pays a portion of my bill…but I am still responsible for co-pays for doctor/NP visits, the remainder that is uncovered to the hospital for the infusion, the equipment for the infusion, etc.  I do not have to pay for labs that they have predetermined to be part of the experimental portion of the trial, but I do have to pay the part that remains uncovered by my insurance for labs that they consider "routine".  I also have to pay the portion of the CT scans and MRI that remains uncovered that are required every 3 months.  Because of an agreement with my MD, I am allowed to get my scans in TN which lowers my cost and saves me travel expenses.

How this will apply to you I don't know.  I don't know how your "insurance" will be applied here.  I don't know what your transportation costs will be or if you will have any help with that.  There are some programs in the US that will help get people where they need to be if they are without the ability to cover that themselves.  Also, every trial is different about what is required and what they deem "experimental" vs "a normal expense for the disease process". Those agreements alone, can change the amount that the patient is required to pay considerably.

I hope this helps, but it probably just gives you more questions than answers.  I wish you the very best.

Celeste

Bubbles
          Participant

I don't know that my experiences will apply to you as I am in an anti-PD1 trial in Tampa, Florida at Moffitt Cancer Center not at the facility you are considering….and I am a resident of the US.  At any rate, since I live in TN, I drive to Atlanta and fly to Tampa on my own dime.  The MDX1106 if "FREE", provided by the drug company.  My insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield) pays a portion of my bill…but I am still responsible for co-pays for doctor/NP visits, the remainder that is uncovered to the hospital for the infusion, the equipment for the infusion, etc.  I do not have to pay for labs that they have predetermined to be part of the experimental portion of the trial, but I do have to pay the part that remains uncovered by my insurance for labs that they consider "routine".  I also have to pay the portion of the CT scans and MRI that remains uncovered that are required every 3 months.  Because of an agreement with my MD, I am allowed to get my scans in TN which lowers my cost and saves me travel expenses.

How this will apply to you I don't know.  I don't know how your "insurance" will be applied here.  I don't know what your transportation costs will be or if you will have any help with that.  There are some programs in the US that will help get people where they need to be if they are without the ability to cover that themselves.  Also, every trial is different about what is required and what they deem "experimental" vs "a normal expense for the disease process". Those agreements alone, can change the amount that the patient is required to pay considerably.

I hope this helps, but it probably just gives you more questions than answers.  I wish you the very best.

Celeste

Bubbles
            Participant

Celeste

LynnLuc
              Participant

MDX 1106 is still in trials…it has not been approved and therefore they have no price affixed to it…if you use it in a trial and it works BMS will make sure you continue on it…according to my sources! The costs you would incur shold only be the cost of routine cancer treatment…anything related to experimental shold be absorbed in the trial…they get money from the drug companies to run the trial…

LynnLuc
                  Participant

shold  should be should…my "U" sticks!"

Erinmay22
                    Participant

Like Lynne said – I've looked at 2 different trials at Sloan (if you want to email – [email protected] I can scan in the info on costs for trials) but typically you don't pay for the cost of the drugs.  You will just be responsible for travel and the standard of care.  So things like your doctor visits, scans, etc.  Anything that you would normally be going in for anyway. 

I haven't actually gotten in to the trials.  The first trial I ended up being past the 12 week initial diagnosis and the 2nd trial I couldn't get in to because i didn't have enough measurable growth. 

best of luck!  positive thoughts and prayers your way!

Erin

LynnLuc
                      Participant

I go to Moffitt…but I also went to the NIH in Bethesda…if you could get in there —it wouldn't cost you anything….they may even assist you with some housing costs and transportation…but it depends…in the uSA they would assist with it at least…

LynnLuc
                        Participant

I go to Moffitt…but I also went to the NIH in Bethesda…if you could get in there —it wouldn't cost you anything….they may even assist you with some housing costs and transportation…but it depends…in the uSA they would assist with it at least…

LynnLuc
                          Participant

Erinmay22
                            Participant

Like Lynne said – I've looked at 2 different trials at Sloan (if you want to email – [email protected] I can scan in the info on costs for trials) but typically you don't pay for the cost of the drugs.  You will just be responsible for travel and the standard of care.  So things like your doctor visits, scans, etc.  Anything that you would normally be going in for anyway. 

I haven't actually gotten in to the trials.  The first trial I ended up being past the 12 week initial diagnosis and the 2nd trial I couldn't get in to because i didn't have enough measurable growth. 

Erin

Erinmay22
                              Participant

Erin

LynnLuc
                                Participant

LynnLuc
                                  Participant

LynnLuc
                                  Participant

MDX 1106 is still in trials…it has not been approved and therefore they have no price affixed to it…if you use it in a trial and it works BMS will make sure you continue on it…according to my sources! The costs you would incur shold only be the cost of routine cancer treatment…anything related to experimental shold be absorbed in the trial…they get money from the drug companies to run the trial…

LynnLuc
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics