The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

“Conversations with self”

Forums General Melanoma Community “Conversations with self”

Participant

Quick history before I let you in my head:

mel '92, .9mm shin

7 yrs NED

2010 inguinal node dissection 9 of 11 nodes positive

start interferon

sept 2010 obturator node mel, radical node dissection, 4 of 5 nodes positive

stop interferon, "watch and wait" since nov 2010

Self #1 "You didn't fail interferon, interferon failed you"

Self #2 "You still failed"

Self #1 "You had a clear scan in November"

Self #2 "Yeah, how long will that last???"

Quick history before I let you in my head:

mel '92, .9mm shin

7 yrs NED

2010 inguinal node dissection 9 of 11 nodes positive

start interferon

sept 2010 obturator node mel, radical node dissection, 4 of 5 nodes positive

stop interferon, "watch and wait" since nov 2010

Self #1 "You didn't fail interferon, interferon failed you"

Self #2 "You still failed"

Self #1 "You had a clear scan in November"

Self #2 "Yeah, how long will that last???"

Self #1 "Get out of my head!!!!"

Self #2 "You need me to keep you focused, keep on top of things"

Self #1 "I don't want this anymore, I want my NED, stage 1, 99% cure rate back"

Self #2 "I'm not going anywhere anytime soon…or am I?"

Scene fades into the smurf song -la,la, la, la, la, la…

Okay, so the smurf song – don't ask, I don't know why!  Anyway, another day, another mental challenge!

Laurie

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Suzan AB
        Participant

Hi Laurie,

Very good negative self-talk…I know that it helps to give a voice to the negatory/disappointed side of yourself.  It is good therapy to work through the disappointments of this "Beast".  Surr-Really, this is one F*n adventure we are on with twists and turns…some great, some not-so-great!  SO go ahead and have discussions with yourself!  I will listen/read and say, yep…we surely do go in and out of beastly muck! 

Then I go and pour a nice hot bath with Rose oil and soak, then I pour in some more hot water and soak some more…while I sit there I see myself draining those negatory feelings into the water.  Then, while still sitting in the tub, I pull the drain and visualize all of the black gooey melanoma slug draining from me into the water and down the drain into my septic tank where it belongs.  After the water is drained and I am sitting there freezing and thinking…that girl is crazy (talking about myself in the second person hahaha)…I take a nice hot shower.

Of course you can make up your own visualizations of draining the beast from your body.  It helps me when I am overwhelmed, being brave for others, or just fed up with the whole F*n thing.  So, Laurie, I love your honesty!  You Rock, Sista.

Biggest of hugs to you…

Suzan AB

Stage IV, w/lung nodes…soon to be on Braf/Mek trial…maybe, hell I am not sure about anything either… 

mom3girlsFL
            Participant

Hey Suzan,

Thanks so much for your response!  It helps to know I'm not the only one playing mind games – well, at least not afraid to exploit it – ha! ha!  I loved your visualization in the tub, good thinking!  I am usually so "ready to go" and wear my warrior uniform with strength every day – guess I must've taken it off to wash it when I wrote that message, silly girl!

Anyway, thanks so much for your thoughts – you and your second self!

(((Hugs right back at ya!)))

Laurie

Stage IIIC, "watch and wait"

mom3girlsFL
              Participant

Hey Suzan,

Thanks so much for your response!  It helps to know I'm not the only one playing mind games – well, at least not afraid to exploit it – ha! ha!  I loved your visualization in the tub, good thinking!  I am usually so "ready to go" and wear my warrior uniform with strength every day – guess I must've taken it off to wash it when I wrote that message, silly girl!

Anyway, thanks so much for your thoughts – you and your second self!

(((Hugs right back at ya!)))

Laurie

Stage IIIC, "watch and wait"

Suzan AB
              Participant

Hi Laurie,

Very good negative self-talk…I know that it helps to give a voice to the negatory/disappointed side of yourself.  It is good therapy to work through the disappointments of this "Beast".  Surr-Really, this is one F*n adventure we are on with twists and turns…some great, some not-so-great!  SO go ahead and have discussions with yourself!  I will listen/read and say, yep…we surely do go in and out of beastly muck! 

Then I go and pour a nice hot bath with Rose oil and soak, then I pour in some more hot water and soak some more…while I sit there I see myself draining those negatory feelings into the water.  Then, while still sitting in the tub, I pull the drain and visualize all of the black gooey melanoma slug draining from me into the water and down the drain into my septic tank where it belongs.  After the water is drained and I am sitting there freezing and thinking…that girl is crazy (talking about myself in the second person hahaha)…I take a nice hot shower.

Of course you can make up your own visualizations of draining the beast from your body.  It helps me when I am overwhelmed, being brave for others, or just fed up with the whole F*n thing.  So, Laurie, I love your honesty!  You Rock, Sista.

Biggest of hugs to you…

Suzan AB

Stage IV, w/lung nodes…soon to be on Braf/Mek trial…maybe, hell I am not sure about anything either… 

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics