The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Constant Headache

Forums General Melanoma Community Constant Headache

Participant

Hi everyone.  Its been so long since I have been on here.  I had to take a break from this site last year after Andy was done with his interferon.  I love all the support you get from everyone on here but its also sad b/c this disease is just so horrible and is so heart breaking.  Andy has recently had a constant headache that goes from dull to really hurting.  I don't want to say severe b/c it hasn't hurt so bad that he's been layed up in the bed all day from pain.  Anyway, he went to see his PCP for his and they did a CT scan which was negative.&n

Hi everyone.  Its been so long since I have been on here.  I had to take a break from this site last year after Andy was done with his interferon.  I love all the support you get from everyone on here but its also sad b/c this disease is just so horrible and is so heart breaking.  Andy has recently had a constant headache that goes from dull to really hurting.  I don't want to say severe b/c it hasn't hurt so bad that he's been layed up in the bed all day from pain.  Anyway, he went to see his PCP for his and they did a CT scan which was negative.  They put him on a 10 day regiment of inflammatory and muscle relaxers which he said eased the pain some but never took it completely away.  He does have some days where the headache goes completely away but not for long.  Anyway, the headache has been going on for 7 weeks now and last week when we went for his 6 month follow up with his oncologist, they suggested he have a MRI done since the ct scan was without contrast and pretty much useless.  His Dr. said she didn't think it was melanoma related since he is showing no other signs such as numbness, slurring speech, visual problems, not being able to focus or keep track of thought.  He's just simply had a constant headache.  She seemed to think a constant migraine.  Either way, i am super worried.  We have been told twice now that he's had cancer and are only 2 1/2 years into remission.  He made it to 3 years last time before we found out it had come back. He's stage 3, btw.  What do you guys think?  Does anyone else suffer from this kind of headache? 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        ChrisB
        Participant

I think the MRI is a good idea.  Hopefully it will eliminate melanoma as the culprit.

A few years back I had a consistent headache similar to the one you are describing.  I had an MRI and a few other tests that all came back negative.  After a while I finally decided to look at other things that could cause it which let me to the food I was eating.  In my case peanuts and peanut butter were causing my headache.  At the time I was working from home eating pb & j for lunch most days and had peanuts snacks readily available.

Best wishes that Andy's headaches have a good explanation and are resolved soon.

Chris

Tahira
            Participant
              Hi I have one question is he still having headaches.. Is he OK now
            ChrisB
            Participant

I think the MRI is a good idea.  Hopefully it will eliminate melanoma as the culprit.

A few years back I had a consistent headache similar to the one you are describing.  I had an MRI and a few other tests that all came back negative.  After a while I finally decided to look at other things that could cause it which let me to the food I was eating.  In my case peanuts and peanut butter were causing my headache.  At the time I was working from home eating pb & j for lunch most days and had peanuts snacks readily available.

Best wishes that Andy's headaches have a good explanation and are resolved soon.

Chris

eeick
              Participant

By all means have the MRI.  Being proactive and early detection has helped my husband and myself live many added years of quality living.  Headaches can be caused by almost anything, even just the stress of concern.  I pray that  all turns well. 

eeick
                Participant

By all means have the MRI.  Being proactive and early detection has helped my husband and myself live many added years of quality living.  Headaches can be caused by almost anything, even just the stress of concern.  I pray that  all turns well. 

Jaime.30
                  Participant

Hi!  My husband is stage III and was having horrible headaches…almost constantly.  He went in to have the MRI and they found what we were told were a cluster of 2 or three clustered lesions on his brain…but that these were way to small to be causing head pain…given where his primary was on an ear they were 90% sure this was Melanoma…so they stopped the Interferon he was on month 10 and decided to go in and take out these lesions.  After surgery they said they did not see anything abnormal to the eye but removed  ping pong ball sized area from the brain using stealth tech to make sure they had the right area…Did another MRI and the lesions were gone…Pathology came back 10 days later and it was only inflammation…not one melanoma cell..The surgery was September 2nd and we were just told this week that they believe that this inflammation was from the radiation he had had….but that this was not what would have causing the headaches. I guess I am going on and on a bit but I guess my point is he still has these headaches and there is NO Melanoma in his brain and what was there before the inflammation was not enough to cause such headaches…so they must be related to something else.  Every time he has a new pain or a new symptom I go into panic mode and so far everything has turned out as reactions from treatments and not more melanoma.  Getting the MRI is important to make sure that everything is ok.  

Jaime.30
                    Participant

Hi!  My husband is stage III and was having horrible headaches…almost constantly.  He went in to have the MRI and they found what we were told were a cluster of 2 or three clustered lesions on his brain…but that these were way to small to be causing head pain…given where his primary was on an ear they were 90% sure this was Melanoma…so they stopped the Interferon he was on month 10 and decided to go in and take out these lesions.  After surgery they said they did not see anything abnormal to the eye but removed  ping pong ball sized area from the brain using stealth tech to make sure they had the right area…Did another MRI and the lesions were gone…Pathology came back 10 days later and it was only inflammation…not one melanoma cell..The surgery was September 2nd and we were just told this week that they believe that this inflammation was from the radiation he had had….but that this was not what would have causing the headaches. I guess I am going on and on a bit but I guess my point is he still has these headaches and there is NO Melanoma in his brain and what was there before the inflammation was not enough to cause such headaches…so they must be related to something else.  Every time he has a new pain or a new symptom I go into panic mode and so far everything has turned out as reactions from treatments and not more melanoma.  Getting the MRI is important to make sure that everything is ok.  

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics