The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Confused, Scared and looking for Help on Scans

Forums General Melanoma Community Confused, Scared and looking for Help on Scans

Participant
      I just received my CT scan report today at MDA. I was stage 3B with 5 new active nodes in my neck. I have been on Opdivo for 3 treatments. The nodes have decreased and are no longer active on the PET. But now the CT shows small nodules in my lungs, all about 5MM. In BC addition, I now have a 2 CM mass in my liver. Had a PET scan this afternoon, and it showed nodules on the neck as smaller and inactive. The nodules in my lungs are inactive, but the 2 CM in my liver is active. I am trying to make sense of this. Seems like the Opdivo is working, but I also have more spots. I will be meeting with the oncologist in 10 days, but was really wanting some advice or encouragement. Thanks e everyone. Trent.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        tkoss
        Participant
          I am 6 months in to opvido. no new mets. LN only involved originally.

i have been told or to better put it in most conversations it was suggested that Opvido takes time to become effective. maybe 3-4 months.

Bubbles
          Participant
            Sorry, Trent. Obviously all we want to hear about our scans is that they are CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still, it is really good news that the nodes in your neck are definitely smaller and categorized as “inactive” and the “nodules” in your lung are “inactive” as well. (Immunotherapy can cause some funky responses in the lungs, causing “nodules” or a “ground glass” appearance on films due to debris and inflammation.) As far as the liver – I’m sure your MDA docs will compare these films with the ones you had in May (both PET and CT) and that may give them important information. Many things can “light up” on a PET that has nothing to do with cancer. Livers can have lots of cysts that under normal circumstances, develop and resolve without our knowing. Still, a cold metastasis can turn “hot” during immunotherapy as its start toward resolution – which might be what is being shown here. If that is what your docs think is going on, they may simply want you to continue Opdivo and do another follow-up scan to see where things are in a couple of months. If it is a non-responsive metastasis, then it might be surgically removable or dealt with by isolated hepatic perfusion treatments.

BTW – I posted some reports on your mutation and targeted therapy here: https://melanoma.org/legacy/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/k601e-braf-mutation

On another hopeful note, this post may give you encouragement: https://melanoma.org/legacy/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/be-patient-patient

I’m sure your meeting with your docs next week will help you formulate a good plan for going forward. I wish you my best. Celeste

THMoore
              Participant
                Miss Bubbles you need to know how much we appreciate your caring and responses. We are all scared and you always seem to bring normality back to us. As for my scans, 10 weeks ago, there were no findings in the CT, MRI or PET other then the nodes in my neck. Now the nodes do show shrinkage, but the new nodules in my lungs are around 6MM in both lungs. The PET shows them as inactive. The tumor in my liver is also new. It is 2CM and shows active in the PET. The CT didn’t show tumors in the brain but I am having pain behind my ear and it’s causing headaches. Forgot to tell the doctors so now they want a MRI. It’s only been 10 weeks since my last tests. Now I’m afraid it’s in my brain to, even though the CT or PET didn’t show anything. I guess I am confused and scared. All the findings are new since my last scan. Some are active and some not. Thx Miss B for listening. Trent
                Bubbles
                Participant
                  Yes, I understood that your previous scans were reported as clear. The things I mentioned still stand, I think. Even though the prior scans were in fact clear, additional scrutiny by both the radiologist and your onc in light of these new findings, may (or may not) reveal more information. Unfortunately, things in melanoma are about as clear as mud. BUT – we are stronger than mud!!! Hang in there. c
                  THMoore
                  Participant
                    ❤️
              Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics