The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Confused by path report: In Situ and Invasive Mel in same lesion?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Confused by path report: In Situ and Invasive Mel in same lesion?

Participant
      Hi all –

I am confused by my recent path report which I read after leaving the Dr.’s office, so I could not ask him. Source of my confusion is in bold, the reset is included for context.

Diagnosis:  INVASIVE MELANOMA, BRESLOW THICKNESS 0.3, NON-ULCERATED (0 mitosis)

NOTE: Sox-10 highlights an asymmetric compound melanocytic proliferation comprised of single and nested melanocytes in disarray along the dermal-epidermal junction and similar melanocytes in the superficial dermis. PRAME shows strong, uniform positivity throughout the lesional melanocytes, There are a few smaller melanocytes scattered in the dermis lacking PRAME reactivity which are interpreted as an associated melanocytic nevus, These finding support the diagnosis.

Margins, peripheral and deep: melanoma in situ present at peripheral biopsy margin; deep biopsy margin narrowly free of melanoma.

So, this lesion was both invasive and in situ? Or, is there additional in situ that goes outside the edges of the biopsy?

I appreciate any insights you all might have in interpreting this.

Thanks much.

Megan

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Leah
        Participant
          Mine said something similar. I think it’s labeled invasive if there’s any part that goes past the epidermis. The in situ portion is at the edges.
      Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics