The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

confused-BRAF pos/neg

Forums General Melanoma Community confused-BRAF pos/neg

Participant

I'm just hoping someone can help me understand the difference between BRAF positive and negative in terms of treatment possibilities and outcomes.  45 years old and just diagnosed with stage 3/c-BRAF neg nodular melanoma on the bridge of my nose.  They are suggesting a radical lymph node dissection and then radiation once I have healed from surgery.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you all for your help.  Not sure what to think.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

BRAF negative means you aren't a candidate for the BRAF inhibitor drug treatments if you were stage 4.  You have to show positive for the mutation to have that treatment be effective.  You wouldn't be a candidate for them now anyway except maybe through a clinical trial.

Janner
          Participant

BRAF negative means you aren't a candidate for the BRAF inhibitor drug treatments if you were stage 4.  You have to show positive for the mutation to have that treatment be effective.  You wouldn't be a candidate for them now anyway except maybe through a clinical trial.

Janner
            Participant

Bubbles
              Participant

Your BRAF status pertains only to whether or not you would respond to BRAF inhibitors. If you don't have the mutation you will not respond to those, however, all other therapies work pretty much equally well. I attached a link to a post I made about BRAF status a couple of questions below if you are interested. My best recommendation at this point is to be sure you are being followed and advised by a melanoma oncologist rather than a general one. I wish you my best. Celeste

Bubbles
                Participant

Your BRAF status pertains only to whether or not you would respond to BRAF inhibitors. If you don't have the mutation you will not respond to those, however, all other therapies work pretty much equally well. I attached a link to a post I made about BRAF status a couple of questions below if you are interested. My best recommendation at this point is to be sure you are being followed and advised by a melanoma oncologist rather than a general one. I wish you my best. Celeste

Bubbles
                  Participant

arthurjedi007
                    Participant

There's also a trial for stage 3 folks you might want to keep in mind if you need it. It is immunotherapy where you get either Yervoy or pd1. These are the 2 main non braf standard treatments available to stage 4 folks and recently via that trial for stage 3 folks.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                      Participant

There's also a trial for stage 3 folks you might want to keep in mind if you need it. It is immunotherapy where you get either Yervoy or pd1. These are the 2 main non braf standard treatments available to stage 4 folks and recently via that trial for stage 3 folks.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Artie

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics