The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Concerned About Mole

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Concerned About Mole

Participant

Hello.

I've had this same looking mole on my stomach for about 12 years. It has never changed in size, shape, or color. It doesn't cause any problems as far as itching or bleeding. It's just become a part of me and I hardly have noticed it throughout the years…until just recently.

I had read an article about a woman who was diagnosed with melanoma and it kept returning. I admit, I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, and I am one of those people that looks online whenever I think something may be wrong with me. When I was looking up symptoms of melanoma, I came across pictures that look pretty similar to the mole on my stomach. I followed the ABCDE rules. This mole is assymetrical, has irregular borders, is darker brown in the center and lighter brown around it. 

Upon further research, I also came across dysplastic nevus or atypical moles. I'm sure you're all familiar with those types of moles and how similar they look to melanoma. They share a lot of the same characteristics which makes it hard to differentiate the two.

I'm honestly freaking out. I made an appointment with a local derm this coming Tuesday. I feel like he will either say I have nothing to worry about or that I need this removed ASAP.

As far as personal info about me, I'm a 27-year-old white female. I have dark hair, light eyes. I have spent time in the sun, mostly when I was younger. I've had a sunburn or two growing up. In my adult life, I've been more vigilant when it comes to sun protection. I have no other moles on my body that look like the one on my stomach.

As far as my upcoming derm appointment, does anyone know if I will have to have a biopsy? Or will he be able to visually tell if this mole is something to be concerned about? I'm not looking for any medical advice or diagnosis over the internet, just information if anyone has it. Thank you to anyone who decides to respond to this.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Hi Anon,

First of all well done for being proactive and getting a derm appointment.  This is the first and best place to start.  

Second of all, don't diagnose yourself over the internet.  The data is old, and scary and hard to relate to your individual case.  Stay off the internet.  It will only unnecessarily scare you. Besides at this point there's no need. Don't borrow tomorrow's trouble, today.

Third, no one can diagnose melanoma without a biopsy. Yes, there are characteristics of melanoma-ish things, but even if a mole hits all the ABCD's, it still might not be melanoma.  This is good. You might not have melanoma. 

Finally, go to your derm, talk with him or her.  Have a biopsy (punch biopsies are often preferred) if this is warranted and if it will make you feel better, and wait for the results.  I'm afraid this is the process.

Wishing you peace. Shalom!

Julie

NoKings
            Participant

Thank you, Julie, for your feedback. I appreciate it. I have tried my best to stay away from the internet, but I'm not perfect! I am reading such contradictory information left and right.

I'm just wondering what the likelyhood is of a decade plus old mole turning into a melanoma if there's been no change within said mole since I first became aware of it at 15/16. I mean, I do realize anything is possible. I honestly don't think I would have even thought twice about this mole had I not read the article and looked up symptoms of melanoma. But it's better to be safe than sorry, I suppose.

All I can do it wait until Tuesday. Thanks again.

NoKings
              Participant
                Just got back from my appointment. Apparently it’s just a mole. I had him also check a small darker freckle on my chest that I’ve had for years and that didn’t seem to be a concern either. I’m happy about that news.

There was one other small dark freckle on my lower stomach that I totally forgot to have him check. It’s similar to the one he checked on my chest.

Should I make another appointment to get that one checked out, or am I pushing it? I feel like I’m over analyzing every little thing now.

almostalice
                Participant
                  Try not to overthink. If you feel that you’re in a high risk grouping (lots of atypical moles, can’t tan, lighter pigmentation to eyes and hair) then ask for regular skin checks.

The ABC’s vary. Change is the biggest factor and it sounds like you nailed that one. I’ve been living with this for 14 years since the age of 23 and the start I was hyper freaked out. Now I hardly ever check my skin and that’s equally as bad as checking too often.

NoKings
                  Participant

Thanks for your reply. As of now, I have never been diagnosed with any atypical moles. The mole that inititally concerned me had been around for over a decade, but I made the mistake of looking online and freaked myself out.

He checked that one and had no concern, just said it was a normal mole. As for the two freckles, they've been on my body for several years, but while I was there I had him check one, but not the other.

I think I'm just obsessing over this. I will still remin vigilant and check regularly, but I know our minds can be our greatest enemies.

I hope you're doing well in your journey. I wish you the best.

Viewing 0 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics