The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Concerned …

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Concerned …

Participant

Hi all,

Thought I would run this past you …

May 8, 2017 I had an excision on my right calf …Nodular variety. The VA surgeon did a pretty good job (flap method). Up until recently, I haven’t had any issues with it, but now there is a small pea size bump under the skin. Probably nothing at all, but I thought I would get some opinions while waiting for my VA appointment in early December. Wondering if this is a real common thing.

Thanks 🙂

Jeff

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jeff_in_FL
        Participant

I think it’s probably an abscess. Not sure why though.

guynamedbilly
            Participant

I think with any surgery, there's a possibility of puckering or fluid buildup.  I had a bit of blood harden at my slnb site, but it did disappear after a couple of months.  I think if it would ease your mind, you should get it checked earlier.

Janner
            Participant

It could be an internal stitch, scar tissue, a cyst or a recurrence.  It is worth discussing with your doc.  I might call before your appt and discuss if possible.

Raeofsonshine
              Participant

ASK to have it looked at.  I had the same thing come up a couple of weeks ago.  My surgeon offered to take it out to be sure.  He thought it looked like a lipoma.  Fast forward a week and it's melanoma.  You have to be your own advocate.  I'm not saying you'll get the same result but just knowin that someone cares enough to take a look to put you at ease is huge.  I don't care if all of my care team thinks I'm a nut job, I'm not going down without a fight.  Good luck and hoping it's nothing!

I would definitely call and ask to have it looked at.  Hopefully it's nothing serious.  I had to push very hard to get a biopsy and it was quite serious.  It could be something small but best to have it checked earlier rather than later.  Good wishes to you

Jennifer

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics