The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Complications from surgery-help!

Forums General Melanoma Community Complications from surgery-help!

Participant

Hi,

I am a newbie & need you advice.

I had sugery to remove a 2cm tumor from my upper thigh 4 weeks ago. The doctors needed to go down into the facia of the muscle to get clear margins.

He did NOT put in a drain. I got  a very large seroma (fluid build up) on my incision that is not going down. The fluid is  around & on  my incision & it is very sore & sensitive.

On top of everything else, last week the seroma got infected so the doctor used a needle to drain the seroma to do a lab culture & put me on atibiotics.

Hi,

I am a newbie & need you advice.

I had sugery to remove a 2cm tumor from my upper thigh 4 weeks ago. The doctors needed to go down into the facia of the muscle to get clear margins.

He did NOT put in a drain. I got  a very large seroma (fluid build up) on my incision that is not going down. The fluid is  around & on  my incision & it is very sore & sensitive.

On top of everything else, last week the seroma got infected so the doctor used a needle to drain the seroma to do a lab culture & put me on atibiotics.

I finally got some relief when he took out fluid for the lab culture but within hours the fluid came back. When I sleep at night with my leg elevated, the next morning the fluid has NOT gone done.

I have a appt with the doctor tomorrow so I would appreciate any experience/advice with seromas you might have. Is it too last to put in a drain? The doctor told me that draining the fluid out with a needle, puts me a risk for infection again.

Thank you for taking time to read my post & replying.

mary

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        ValinMtl
        Participant

Hi Mary

Is there any possibility of a vacuum-assisted closure (sponge vac) being placed at the wound.  I had one when my doctor took out my drain tubes way too soon…took time but certainly worked.  All the best, Val xx

http://instructor.mstc.edu/instructor/csebasti/543102_NursingSkills/Skills/WoundCare/StudyGuide1_WoundVacuumAssistedClosure.pdf

killmel
            Participant

Hi Val,

Thanks for responding.

If I understand the wound vac the incision needs to be open.Does the incision have to be open??

My incision is completely closed.

Also, good luck with your NIH trial. Do your subqs have to be a certain size before you can get into this trial? How many do you have & what sizes?

Thanks,

Mary

ValinMtl
              Participant

Sorry thought your incision was still open.  I responded to your questions below in my string about NIH.  Good luck, Mary in finding a solution to your problem.  Val

ValinMtl
                Participant

Sorry thought your incision was still open.  I responded to your questions below in my string about NIH.  Good luck, Mary in finding a solution to your problem.  Val

killmel
                  Participant

Hi Val,

Thanks for responding.

If I understand the wound vac the incision needs to be open.Does the incision have to be open??

My incision is completely closed.

Also, good luck with your NIH trial. Do your subqs have to be a certain size before you can get into this trial? How many do you have & what sizes?

Thanks,

Mary

ValinMtl
                  Participant

Hi Mary

Is there any possibility of a vacuum-assisted closure (sponge vac) being placed at the wound.  I had one when my doctor took out my drain tubes way too soon…took time but certainly worked.  All the best, Val xx

http://instructor.mstc.edu/instructor/csebasti/543102_NursingSkills/Skills/WoundCare/StudyGuide1_WoundVacuumAssistedClosure.pdf

Carver
                    Participant

My situation was different because I had a groin LND and did have drains for a long time but even after the drains as well as injections with stuff to help dry me out, I had a seroma form in the pelvic area that was quite large. My doctor kept an eye on it but said to give it time to dissolve. It took many months. At one point it was almost as big as an orange then lemon and then finally went away although I was left with a hardened area with a lot of scar tissue. This was six years ago but that was my experience.  I hope yours will go away soon. Take care, Carver

killmel
                        Participant

Thanks Carver. Do you know what the doctor put in the seroma todry it out?

Mary

killmel
                          Participant

Thanks Carver. Do you know what the doctor put in the seroma todry it out?

Mary

Carver
                          Participant

My situation was different because I had a groin LND and did have drains for a long time but even after the drains as well as injections with stuff to help dry me out, I had a seroma form in the pelvic area that was quite large. My doctor kept an eye on it but said to give it time to dissolve. It took many months. At one point it was almost as big as an orange then lemon and then finally went away although I was left with a hardened area with a lot of scar tissue. This was six years ago but that was my experience.  I hope yours will go away soon. Take care, Carver

washoegal
                            Participant

When I had mine, on my arm , I was told to put heat on it and to gently message it.  Do not use very hot heat and be very gentle.  The skin is easily torn. 

Now the caveat:  That didn't work for me.  Mine eventually burst.  Well, that at least took care of the problem.  Wound care was the next problem.  But I didn't get an infection!

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                              Participant

When I had mine, on my arm , I was told to put heat on it and to gently message it.  Do not use very hot heat and be very gentle.  The skin is easily torn. 

Now the caveat:  That didn't work for me.  Mine eventually burst.  Well, that at least took care of the problem.  Wound care was the next problem.  But I didn't get an infection!

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics