The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

clothing etc

Forums General Melanoma Community clothing etc

Participant

Any suggestions for sun protective clothing? I see various name brands such as high end Columbia and Patagonia ($$$) to Walmart brand called Vapor.  

As far as sunscreen, I use Blue Lizard and Mineral Republic (both available at Walmart). They are similar to applying zinc oxide ointment…really white and thickish, but you don't smell like sunscreen which is nice when you apply it every day.    Any other suggestions that don't break the bank?

Lastly, those with outdoor hobbies (mine and my daughter's – coaching competitive softball), do you give it up?  Continue with precaution?  Daughter is at increased risk because of me and the fact that she had a benign atypical spitzoid removed back in May. It will probably be the smart move to retire for me – alot of time in the sun on the weekends.  For her??  What is your advice to your kids who have not had melanoma, but share the same activities as you and look where you are?? Risk you life to live or don't live your life to save it?  Little dramatic but doesn't that sometimes feel like the question?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies

Absolutely do not give up living.  Stick with your hobbies but wear your sunscreen and protective clothing.  Get a good hat to protect your scalp.  My husband does a lot of softball coaching for one of my daughters and the sun exposure at the fields can be extreme.  Some of the parents and coaches bring canopy style tents for shade.  Some have chairs with attached canopy as well.

Definitely understand your concern but a life without is about the same as not living.  

Good wishes to you.

Jennifer

AN8
          Participant

I agree with your last statement.  Especially for my daughter as she is just starting her life's journey.  Thank you for the insight.  I have read some of your replies before, I hope you are doing well and seeing positive progress in your treamrents. Tell your husband good luck With the team.  Female emotions can be brutal on the male coaches smiley hehehe! 

Richard_K
          Participant

Agree with the comments about NOT giving up outdoor activities. I personally love gardening and garden railroading. My 'outdoor uniform' consists of a wide brim hat, sunglasses, long sleeve spf shirt, and long lightweight spf pants. I am on vemurafenib and I sunburn very easy, so the clothing is supplemented with sunscreen for both skin and lips.

As to the clothes, I have several brands but I like the ones from LL Bean the best. For me, I can get tall sizes and a looser fit that I find more comfortable outside.

AN8
              Participant

Thank you so much for the input!

Toby0987
                Participant

I’ve used coolibar and am happy with the quality of the product. I’ve also used the cheaper Walmart stuff. Bottom line, cover up-long sleeve all the time (I live in south Florida and it is tempting to go with less). You also may want to try a short sleeve shirt and pull on sleeves that cover your arms that are popular for athletes. It’s nice to be able to put the on and take them off while indoors

AN8
                  Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics