The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Clinical Trial Question

Forums General Melanoma Community Clinical Trial Question

Participant

Hello all, 

I am currently T1bN1a (stage 3b) and feeling really well. My SNLB / WLE was July 10th. I see my dermatologist every three months and the oncologist every three months, so I'm under somebody's watchful eye every six weeks. I feel like my anxiety is under control, and I'm finally able to focus on diet, exercise, and being proactive about my health.  I am in a good place and in good hands, but like many melanoma patients, I wonder if I could be doing more. 

I did not have the lymph node dissection or interferon after my one node came back slightly positive. I am treated at Loyola in Chicago and I have been seen by Dr. Postow at Memorial Sloan Kettering. 

My question is this: If / when a clinical trial becomes available for which a patient might qualify, does their doctor point that out to them, or do patients have to keep their eyes out for trials? I am the kind of person who would like to help move the science forward, especially if I can be useful in some way…but I do understand that trials involve exposing oneself to risk.  Am I supposed to be agressive, or wait until I "need" a trial? 

I see that there is a vaccine trial (NCT02129075) at MSK that I might qualify for. Since I'm a patient at MSK, would you expect a doctor to contact me? How is this handled? 

If you are of a mind to tell me to sit tight and don't worry about clinical trials until one is necessary, I welcome that kind of feedback. I just know that I've learned quite a bit from this site, and I know NOTHING about trials. 

Thanks in advance. Best,

Elaine

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        SABKLYN
        Participant

Hi Elaine,

Good question!  I am also being treated at MSKCC and I took part in a trial.  I believe I let my oncologist know I would be interested in any information regarding clinical trials.  As it turned out there was one available.  I would let the oncologist know that you would like,to see the protocol and perhaps be considered as a participant.

Regards,

Stan

SABKLYN
          Participant

Hi Elaine,

Good question!  I am also being treated at MSKCC and I took part in a trial.  I believe I let my oncologist know I would be interested in any information regarding clinical trials.  As it turned out there was one available.  I would let the oncologist know that you would like,to see the protocol and perhaps be considered as a participant.

Regards,

Stan

SABKLYN
            Participant

Hi Elaine,

Regards,

Stan

Gene_S
              Participant

Hello Elaine,

My husband started out at Stage IIIb and his SNB came back negative so he chose watch and wait.

He did have 4 more surgeries and was offered interferon several times which he refused.  He then did advance to Stave IV but his doctor told him about a clinical trial to see if he could get into that was local but not offered at the hospital he was at.  He failed it as he had to many lesions in his liver.  So we went back to his oncologist and he recommended we do a clinical trial that was open there.  Also his oncologist has always told us that he thinks we could do Plan B, Plan C and Plan D if Plan A didn't work.  So he was the one giving us suggestions of what we could do.  I don't know if all oncologist are like this but we were more than happy with his list.

If you would like to read more about his travels through Melanoma you can read his profile.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

BrianP
                  Participant

Elaine,

My experience with trials has been that I was on my own as far as finding them. That may have been different if I was being seen at a facility which was a major player in melanoma. I think even those facilities don't always know what's going on at other places which is why being proactive is so important and why a forum like this is so valuable. As suggested I think letting your doctors know you are interested in trials would be helpful. I will add that I think most trials will have a time limit for when you can join such as "within 60 days of disease resection."  

Brian

BrianP
                    Participant

Elaine,

My experience with trials has been that I was on my own as far as finding them. That may have been different if I was being seen at a facility which was a major player in melanoma. I think even those facilities don't always know what's going on at other places which is why being proactive is so important and why a forum like this is so valuable. As suggested I think letting your doctors know you are interested in trials would be helpful. I will add that I think most trials will have a time limit for when you can join such as "within 60 days of disease resection."  

Brian

BrianP
                      Participant

Elaine,

Brian

Gene_S
                      Participant

Hello Elaine,

My husband started out at Stage IIIb and his SNB came back negative so he chose watch and wait.

He did have 4 more surgeries and was offered interferon several times which he refused.  He then did advance to Stave IV but his doctor told him about a clinical trial to see if he could get into that was local but not offered at the hospital he was at.  He failed it as he had to many lesions in his liver.  So we went back to his oncologist and he recommended we do a clinical trial that was open there.  Also his oncologist has always told us that he thinks we could do Plan B, Plan C and Plan D if Plan A didn't work.  So he was the one giving us suggestions of what we could do.  I don't know if all oncologist are like this but we were more than happy with his list.

If you would like to read more about his travels through Melanoma you can read his profile.

Gene_S
                        Participant

Hello Elaine,

arthurjedi007
                          Participant

Depends on your docs. In my experience trials has been on my own with help from the folks here. You should have a plan a b c and d. Also the clinical trial nurses and some docs keep a list of people interested in a specific trial coming up that is theirs. Not sure about just trials in general. Most seem to ignore trials at other places. It seems if you aren't seeing that doc regularly then you are forgotten probably because they have tons of current patients. But that is just my experience.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

Depends on your docs. In my experience trials has been on my own with help from the folks here. You should have a plan a b c and d. Also the clinical trial nurses and some docs keep a list of people interested in a specific trial coming up that is theirs. Not sure about just trials in general. Most seem to ignore trials at other places. It seems if you aren't seeing that doc regularly then you are forgotten probably because they have tons of current patients. But that is just my experience.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Artie

5dives
                                Participant

Thanks to all of you! After reading your responses and talking to my husband, we've decided I'll reach out to my doc at MSK, mostly just to indicate interest and then to ask about this one specific trial. Not going to push. 

It's funny, because I know I need to get past this idea that I might be "bothering" my doctors, but that is how I feel. Honestly, I do know that it's my right to contact them, lol, but I've spent a lifetime being a little less than assertive. Melanoma is going to have to change that for me, I suppose. 

Artie, we haven't spoken before, but I have definitely been following your story. I wish you all the best. 

Thanks, 

Elaine

5dives
                                  Participant

Thanks to all of you! After reading your responses and talking to my husband, we've decided I'll reach out to my doc at MSK, mostly just to indicate interest and then to ask about this one specific trial. Not going to push. 

It's funny, because I know I need to get past this idea that I might be "bothering" my doctors, but that is how I feel. Honestly, I do know that it's my right to contact them, lol, but I've spent a lifetime being a little less than assertive. Melanoma is going to have to change that for me, I suppose. 

Artie, we haven't spoken before, but I have definitely been following your story. I wish you all the best. 

Thanks, 

Elaine

SABKLYN
                                      Participant

Hey Elaine,

If your doc is anything li,e the three I have had the p,ensure of dealing with, it won't be a bother at all….in fact, if,you fit the profile for a particular study being conducted at MSKCC, I believe they would be happy to know of your Interest!

Regards

SABKLYN
                                        Participant

Hey Elaine,

If your doc is anything li,e the three I have had the p,ensure of dealing with, it won't be a bother at all….in fact, if,you fit the profile for a particular study being conducted at MSKCC, I believe they would be happy to know of your Interest!

Regards

SABKLYN
                                          Participant

Hey Elaine,

Regards

amelanomajourney
                                            Participant

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for sharing your story.  I am stage 3 as well and have been blogging about the tough decisions I had to make with regards to treatment.

Never, ever feel bad about bothering your doctor – I had to get over that as well.  This is literally life or death so do what you think you have to.  

amelanomajourney
                                              Participant

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for sharing your story.  I am stage 3 as well and have been blogging about the tough decisions I had to make with regards to treatment.

Never, ever feel bad about bothering your doctor – I had to get over that as well.  This is literally life or death so do what you think you have to.  

amelanomajourney
                                                Participant

Hi Elaine,

5dives
                                                Participant

Thanks, 

Elaine

5dives
                                                  Participant

Hello,

I went ahead and emailed the MSK doctor whose name is on the study (Paul Chapman, if anybody has any feedback). I feel nervous, but I'm glad I made the leap. Thanks for your help, guys. 

Best, 

Elaine

5dives
                                                    Participant

Hello,

I went ahead and emailed the MSK doctor whose name is on the study (Paul Chapman, if anybody has any feedback). I feel nervous, but I'm glad I made the leap. Thanks for your help, guys. 

Best, 

Elaine

5dives
                                                      Participant

Hello,

Best, 

Elaine

SABKLYN
                                                          Participant

Terrific! Great move Elaine.  Good lyck

SABKLYN
                                                            Participant

SABKLYN
                                                              Participant

Luck!

SABKLYN
                                                                Participant

Luck!

SABKLYN
                                                                  Participant

Luck!

SABKLYN
                                                                    Participant

5dives
                                                                    Participant

Hello all, 

Bummer of an update. Dr. Chapman at MSK emailed me back right away (on a Sunday!) to let me know that it is a mistake that MSK is listed as one of the locations for the trial. He said he had hoped the error would have been corrected. 

That's that, I guess. I do feel emboldened to talk to my doctor here in Chicago about my interest in trials. 

Thanks for your support. 

Best, 

Elaine

5dives
                                                                      Participant

Hello all, 

Bummer of an update. Dr. Chapman at MSK emailed me back right away (on a Sunday!) to let me know that it is a mistake that MSK is listed as one of the locations for the trial. He said he had hoped the error would have been corrected. 

That's that, I guess. I do feel emboldened to talk to my doctor here in Chicago about my interest in trials. 

Thanks for your support. 

Best, 

Elaine

JoshF
                                                                          Participant

Hi Elaine-

i won't go into lengthy detail about my history; you can read it on my profile. I'm stage 4 and currently NED and know feeling of just needing to "do something". So after a few surgeries with latest being last month and a combo trial in late 2013/early 2014 being NED for a 3rd time…I feel like a ticking time bomb. I went through my onc and Dr Luke at U of Chicago and for adjuvant treatment/ trial was interferon and not recommended. I was told trials may be in making but nothing that fits NED patients that they'd recommend. Let me know what you find. 

Best

Josh

JoshF
                                                                            Participant

Hi Elaine-

i won't go into lengthy detail about my history; you can read it on my profile. I'm stage 4 and currently NED and know feeling of just needing to "do something". So after a few surgeries with latest being last month and a combo trial in late 2013/early 2014 being NED for a 3rd time…I feel like a ticking time bomb. I went through my onc and Dr Luke at U of Chicago and for adjuvant treatment/ trial was interferon and not recommended. I was told trials may be in making but nothing that fits NED patients that they'd recommend. Let me know what you find. 

Best

Josh

JoshF
                                                                              Participant

Hi Elaine-

Best

Josh

5dives
                                                                              Participant

Hello all, 

Thanks for your support. 

Best, 

Elaine

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics