The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Choosing not to do WBRT, going with ipi

Forums General Melanoma Community Choosing not to do WBRT, going with ipi

Participant

I had my consultation with the Chief Radiation Oncologist yesterday at David Grant, who was very up front with me. He said since melanoma cells by their nature are resistant to light, he would need to do a much higher daily dose to be effective than if the tumor had been a primary brain tumor. Along with my sister, I made the decision to forego the WBRT for now and start with Yervoy as soon as possible. That way the Yervoy can act against any melanoma cells that might be hanging around in my brain, as well as start working on my lung mets.

I had my consultation with the Chief Radiation Oncologist yesterday at David Grant, who was very up front with me. He said since melanoma cells by their nature are resistant to light, he would need to do a much higher daily dose to be effective than if the tumor had been a primary brain tumor. Along with my sister, I made the decision to forego the WBRT for now and start with Yervoy as soon as possible. That way the Yervoy can act against any melanoma cells that might be hanging around in my brain, as well as start working on my lung mets. The rad onc said that he would be happy to go with WBRT in the future, or SRS, if  I need it.

I thought about this long and hard overningt and woke with a sense of relief. Not looking back!!

Cristy, Stage IV

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Personally I think you made a good decision. There comes a point when you have to look at quality of life.  Hopefully with the brain met gone you won't be dealing with anymore.  There is a young man that posts occaisionally "Kevinhisname".  He had a brain met removed last year and the brain was still clear as of his last post. 

Wishing you the best!

Linda

mombase
            Participant

Thank you very much~

mombase
              Participant

Thank you very much~

lhaley
              Participant

Personally I think you made a good decision. There comes a point when you have to look at quality of life.  Hopefully with the brain met gone you won't be dealing with anymore.  There is a young man that posts occaisionally "Kevinhisname".  He had a brain met removed last year and the brain was still clear as of his last post. 

Wishing you the best!

Linda

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics