The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Chemo Port for Keytruda

Forums General Melanoma Community Chemo Port for Keytruda

Participant

OK, I have a question for everybody.

I had my 4th cycle of Keytruda today, and the nurse told me that my veins are no good. Never had anybody say that before today. I only have one arm for them to use, because of the lymph node dissection from my other arm. She recommended that I contact my surgeon about getting a port.

So here's my question. Who else here is getting Keytruda, or another long term IV therapy who has a port? What are your experiences with it, and what is your opinion of it? My wife, who is an RN, says that since my treatment plan says I'll get Keytruda "until progression," a port makes a lot of sense. It does to me, too. But I don't know anybody who has or has ever had one. So if you have one, or you have had one, tell me anything you think I should know.

-Bill

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        CHRISNYC
        Participant

Hi Bill Im being treated with ipi/nivo with intervinious drip, last year I was treated with chemo utilizing a port.  I had the port for about 6 months. The port was no problem it's a simple procedure with the installation.  And it's usally a quick hookup for the medication.   And they used it for blood testing draw as well.  Some concerns that you may want to reasearch are specific to how often you recieve treatment. My port would clog up from time to time. The nurses were good at clearing the line. And of course you need to be diligent about keeping the entry point into the skin clean and dry.  The nurses will most likely be very careful with this.  The dressing gets changed once a week minimum.    Good luck. And don't worry  Chris 

CHRISNYC
          Participant

Hi Bill Im being treated with ipi/nivo with intervinious drip, last year I was treated with chemo utilizing a port.  I had the port for about 6 months. The port was no problem it's a simple procedure with the installation.  And it's usally a quick hookup for the medication.   And they used it for blood testing draw as well.  Some concerns that you may want to reasearch are specific to how often you recieve treatment. My port would clog up from time to time. The nurses were good at clearing the line. And of course you need to be diligent about keeping the entry point into the skin clean and dry.  The nurses will most likely be very careful with this.  The dressing gets changed once a week minimum.    Good luck. And don't worry  Chris 

CHRISNYC
            Participant

geriakt
              Participant

I am on a clinical study of opdivo vs yervoy for stage 3b full disection just like you. I get an iv infusion every week for 50 weeks. Every time I get an infusion the iv TECH says my veins are bad and I should get a port. I think the iv techs are just lazy and want you to get a port to make it easier for them.

I am on my third treatment. I am going a full month to see how I do getting poked every week before I make a choice about a port. My Dr has warned me about getting a port as you can get infections and blood clots.  We are not getting chemo and keytruda does not destroy your veins

geriakt
                Participant

I am on a clinical study of opdivo vs yervoy for stage 3b full disection just like you. I get an iv infusion every week for 50 weeks. Every time I get an infusion the iv TECH says my veins are bad and I should get a port. I think the iv techs are just lazy and want you to get a port to make it easier for them.

I am on my third treatment. I am going a full month to see how I do getting poked every week before I make a choice about a port. My Dr has warned me about getting a port as you can get infections and blood clots.  We are not getting chemo and keytruda does not destroy your veins

geriakt
                  Participant

marta010
                      Participant

Bill – my husband had a port placed 2 years ago when he needed regular saline hydration and was getting Yervoy.  The procedure to place the port was quick and nothing to worry about.  He still has it in and it is used for blood draws, infustions, etc.  He's only had a couple of instances where the port clogged and needed TPA treatment to break up the clot.  The port needs to be flushed with heparin every 4 weeks when not regularly accessed but that's the only ongoing maintenance.  When he needed daily saline hydration, the port was continually accessed with the needle left in place under a dressing.  This was somewhat of a pain for showering because you need to keep the dressing dry.  If you're going in weekly, I'd guess the port would be accessed at that time, rather than leaving a needle in place so you shouldn't need to worry about that issue.  Overall, the port has not been a problem and it sure makes blood draws and infusions much easier.  A port makes the patient's life much easier – IV techs can only do so much when your veins have been poked time and time again.  

marta010
                        Participant

Bill – my husband had a port placed 2 years ago when he needed regular saline hydration and was getting Yervoy.  The procedure to place the port was quick and nothing to worry about.  He still has it in and it is used for blood draws, infustions, etc.  He's only had a couple of instances where the port clogged and needed TPA treatment to break up the clot.  The port needs to be flushed with heparin every 4 weeks when not regularly accessed but that's the only ongoing maintenance.  When he needed daily saline hydration, the port was continually accessed with the needle left in place under a dressing.  This was somewhat of a pain for showering because you need to keep the dressing dry.  If you're going in weekly, I'd guess the port would be accessed at that time, rather than leaving a needle in place so you shouldn't need to worry about that issue.  Overall, the port has not been a problem and it sure makes blood draws and infusions much easier.  A port makes the patient's life much easier – IV techs can only do so much when your veins have been poked time and time again.  

marta010
                          Participant

DZnDef
                            Participant

I would just like to highlight the importance of keeping the port clean and ensuring that anyone touching it has washed their hands.  I know several people that have ports and enjoy how much easier it has made their treatments.  And I know once person that died from an infection via the port.  Be vigilant on keeping the area untouched/clean.

DZnDef
                              Participant

I would just like to highlight the importance of keeping the port clean and ensuring that anyone touching it has washed their hands.  I know several people that have ports and enjoy how much easier it has made their treatments.  And I know once person that died from an infection via the port.  Be vigilant on keeping the area untouched/clean.

DZnDef
                                Participant

BrianP
                                Participant

Bill,

I was just like you.  Limited to one arm and hard to poke veins.  Got the port put in for my Ipi/Nivo trial about 2 months into the trial.  Been almost two years now.  Extremely happy with it.  I'm very active and it has never limited me in any of my activities.  I'd recommend it to anyone with circumstances like you and I.

Brian

BrianP
                                  Participant

Bill,

I was just like you.  Limited to one arm and hard to poke veins.  Got the port put in for my Ipi/Nivo trial about 2 months into the trial.  Been almost two years now.  Extremely happy with it.  I'm very active and it has never limited me in any of my activities.  I'd recommend it to anyone with circumstances like you and I.

Brian

davekarrie
                                      Participant

Bill,

I just had a powerport put in last Friday, I will have my 3rd Keytruda infustion Oct12. The surgery is easy and the site has been  a bit sore. I like you have bad veins and my left arm is not an option from lymph node dissection. The blood draws, infusions and any CT/PET injections can also be done through it. So in my mind it was a no brainer.

Dave

davekarrie
                                        Participant

Bill,

I just had a powerport put in last Friday, I will have my 3rd Keytruda infustion Oct12. The surgery is easy and the site has been  a bit sore. I like you have bad veins and my left arm is not an option from lymph node dissection. The blood draws, infusions and any CT/PET injections can also be done through it. So in my mind it was a no brainer.

Dave

davekarrie
                                          Participant

Bill,

Dave

BrianP
                                          Participant

Bill,

Brian

mrsaxde
                                            Participant

I appreciate the info everyone has given me. My wife says this is the way to go since it looks like these treatments are going to be ongoing. My oncologist orginally said he would plan on doing six. But he moved out of the area, and the treatment plan that was written by the nurse practitioner said "until progression," which from what I've read on these boards seems to be pretty standard.

My surgeon's office was going to confirm with my new oncologist that I would be getting ongoing treatments, then it looks like I'll have a port.

Thanks again. You all have given me the kind of helpful info I was looking for.

-Bill

mrsaxde
                                              Participant

I appreciate the info everyone has given me. My wife says this is the way to go since it looks like these treatments are going to be ongoing. My oncologist orginally said he would plan on doing six. But he moved out of the area, and the treatment plan that was written by the nurse practitioner said "until progression," which from what I've read on these boards seems to be pretty standard.

My surgeon's office was going to confirm with my new oncologist that I would be getting ongoing treatments, then it looks like I'll have a port.

-Bill

mrsaxde
                                                Participant

-Bill

Polymath
                                                  Participant

Bill,

After getting sick and tired of getting poked, which ultimately scar the veins leaving fewer and fewer good ones to hit (on the first time, hopefully).  I inquired about the port and found out it was much smaller than imagined, and inserted completely under the skin (powerport) so there are no issues whatsoever with special care that some responses mentioned. The procedure was a snap and I felt no pain during or after installation. Its been fantastic and allows for all infusions, CT/PET contrast, and blood draws.  The only downsides are that only an RN can access the port and on some occasions,for blood draws I still needed to just go to the lab tech as there is a more elaborate procedure when accessing, clearing, and finally adding Heparin at the end to keep blood from clotting in the port line, that only RN is qualified to do.  And that this clearing needs to occur at least every four weeks so when and if you no longer will receive routine draws, infusions, and scans you may consider removal of the port (which is also a quick and easy procedure).  I am very glad I choose to do it, and it was only my lack of understanding beforehand that delayed it.

Aloha, Gary

Polymath
                                                    Participant

Bill,

After getting sick and tired of getting poked, which ultimately scar the veins leaving fewer and fewer good ones to hit (on the first time, hopefully).  I inquired about the port and found out it was much smaller than imagined, and inserted completely under the skin (powerport) so there are no issues whatsoever with special care that some responses mentioned. The procedure was a snap and I felt no pain during or after installation. Its been fantastic and allows for all infusions, CT/PET contrast, and blood draws.  The only downsides are that only an RN can access the port and on some occasions,for blood draws I still needed to just go to the lab tech as there is a more elaborate procedure when accessing, clearing, and finally adding Heparin at the end to keep blood from clotting in the port line, that only RN is qualified to do.  And that this clearing needs to occur at least every four weeks so when and if you no longer will receive routine draws, infusions, and scans you may consider removal of the port (which is also a quick and easy procedure).  I am very glad I choose to do it, and it was only my lack of understanding beforehand that delayed it.

Aloha, Gary

mrsaxde
                                                        Participant

Thanks for that info, Gary. With my wife being an RN, she might be able to do some of the maintenance if necessary. Last fall I had a wound VAC for a while, and even though she had never worked with one before, the folks in the wound center at the hospital where she works showed her what to do, and she did a fantastic job, saving me trips to the wound center. So I'm sure she could handle maintenance on a port.

mrsaxde
                                                          Participant

Thanks for that info, Gary. With my wife being an RN, she might be able to do some of the maintenance if necessary. Last fall I had a wound VAC for a while, and even though she had never worked with one before, the folks in the wound center at the hospital where she works showed her what to do, and she did a fantastic job, saving me trips to the wound center. So I'm sure she could handle maintenance on a port.

mrsaxde
                                                            Participant

Polymath
                                                            Participant

Bill,

Aloha, Gary

_Paul_
                                                              Participant

Hi Bill,

I am have been on Keytruda since January I think (may February) and I had a port put in back in the Spring sometime. I had a vein collapse from repeated use during the port installation! So in my humble opinion I got it installed just in time.

I like having it since it is easy to access and I am not damaging my veins anymore. My oncologist has not talked about going off Keytruda, and I am not NED, so I think I will be getting infusions for the foreseeable future.

Also the installation was a breeze as far as surgeries go. They used "twilight" sedation and it took about 30 minutes from the time I was wheeled into the room where it was done (it didn't really qualify as a full blown OR).

_Paul_
                                                                Participant

Hi Bill,

I am have been on Keytruda since January I think (may February) and I had a port put in back in the Spring sometime. I had a vein collapse from repeated use during the port installation! So in my humble opinion I got it installed just in time.

I like having it since it is easy to access and I am not damaging my veins anymore. My oncologist has not talked about going off Keytruda, and I am not NED, so I think I will be getting infusions for the foreseeable future.

Also the installation was a breeze as far as surgeries go. They used "twilight" sedation and it took about 30 minutes from the time I was wheeled into the room where it was done (it didn't really qualify as a full blown OR).

_Paul_
                                                                  Participant

Hi Bill,

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics