The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

changing mole / recommendation

Forums General Melanoma Community changing mole / recommendation

Participant

Hello all, 

I was diagnosed stage 3B in June of 2014 and so far have been NED ever since. At my last appt with the derm, she mentioned a mole she wanted to keep an eye on. After that visit, I found an app I've been using to keep track of some moles. It asks you to take a picture of your mole with a reference item (dime or penny) to help measure the mole. I know some of you have been looking for apps to keep track of moles, so I thought I would recommend it here. It's called Mole Mapper and its available for IOS and Android. 

So…I have two moles that appear to be changing. I'm seeing the derm on Wednesday to have them removed, but as many of you have experienced, my anxiety and imagination are out of control. I know what I'll have to go through if they are new primaries, and I'm not exactly eager to relive that experience. If anyone wants to try to talk me off a ledge, I'm definitely open to that. 🙂 

My question: Have any of you had an evolving / growing mole that turned out to be nothing?

I'm including the photos from the app just as evidence of how the app works. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/758fkvmfkuux1qt/filename?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfv2ecx8k08yp4m/filename%20%281%29?dl=0

Best, 

Elaine

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        _Paul_
        Participant

Hi Elaine,

I had a couple of moles removed by my derm that were new. I had grid photography done after my initial diagnosis, so, similar to your app, I have a reference to see if things are changing. Both moles were on my face, one on my upper lip and one on my left cheek. The path report for the one on my cheek came back as an atypical nevus with a recommendation for a conservative excision. I was not too eager for an excision and I got a second opinion that did not think excision was required.

So even though they were brand new moles, they were not melanoma. Chances are yours won't be either.

So take a deep breath and come back in from that ledge!

– Paul.

_Paul_
          Participant

Hi Elaine,

I had a couple of moles removed by my derm that were new. I had grid photography done after my initial diagnosis, so, similar to your app, I have a reference to see if things are changing. Both moles were on my face, one on my upper lip and one on my left cheek. The path report for the one on my cheek came back as an atypical nevus with a recommendation for a conservative excision. I was not too eager for an excision and I got a second opinion that did not think excision was required.

So even though they were brand new moles, they were not melanoma. Chances are yours won't be either.

– Paul.

_Paul_
            Participant

Hi Elaine,

– Paul.

Janner
              Participant

The mole mapping apps haven't got great reviews from the medical establishment.  Personally, my real camera gives me much better pics than my cell phone does.  If you have no other choice, it works.

As for your other question- I have had changing moles not be melanoma.  Changing means more worrisome and should be checked out, but not necessarily melanoma.

Janner
                Participant

The mole mapping apps haven't got great reviews from the medical establishment.  Personally, my real camera gives me much better pics than my cell phone does.  If you have no other choice, it works.

As for your other question- I have had changing moles not be melanoma.  Changing means more worrisome and should be checked out, but not necessarily melanoma.

Janner
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics