The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Changing mole- dysplastic Nevis

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Changing mole- dysplastic Nevis

Participant
      Hello
      I have had a mole on my wrist for years and over the past two months it looks like it’s spreading. My GP wasn’t too concerned but sent me to the dermatologist just in case. Upon looking at it he says it is most likely to be a dysplastic Nevi. I thought these were moles that appeared aytpically. Can normal moles change into atypical moles without being cancerous. As it is so small less than 1mm and in an easily viewable place not to remove it. However it was still spreading between first appointment and referral and so am worried it could be worse.
      So can normal moles develop into atypical moles?
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        kcmtnbiker
        Participant

I too had a mole that was diagnosed as dysplastic Nevi for several years. My GP said it was nothing for several years. I changed GPs for other reasons and my new GP sent me to a Dermatologist. The Dermatologist said is was a dysplastic Nevi and froze it off. When in came back looking even more angry, I finally insisted on a biopsy and it came back positive as melanoma. I am now a 6 year survivor and still under treatment. (stage 4 and holding) The best advice at this point is for you to get into your doctor or preferably a Dermatologist.  Early treatment is key. So, don't put off getting it looked at and (in my opinion) having it biopsied.

Janner
          Participant

Yes, you can have a changing mole not be melanoma and just be atypical.  But change is a reason to have a biopsy – just to make sure it isn't melanoma. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics