The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Change of plans

Forums General Melanoma Community Change of plans

Participant

well my oncologist doesnt believe that interleukin-2 will do me any good. He worked his magic and got me into a clinical trial in Vanderbilt. I have an appointment next Wed. on the 12th..Im not sure if its a meet and greet kinda day or if they will keep me an get me prepared for some kind of treatment. Its the not knowing that is driving me so crazy. I dont even know what kind of trial it is but my onc in Memphis says it is having a 45 % success rate. He said if he was in my shoes thats where he would go. But the pain is getting very intense. I finally got Hydrocodone 10/500 .

well my oncologist doesnt believe that interleukin-2 will do me any good. He worked his magic and got me into a clinical trial in Vanderbilt. I have an appointment next Wed. on the 12th..Im not sure if its a meet and greet kinda day or if they will keep me an get me prepared for some kind of treatment. Its the not knowing that is driving me so crazy. I dont even know what kind of trial it is but my onc in Memphis says it is having a 45 % success rate. He said if he was in my shoes thats where he would go. But the pain is getting very intense. I finally got Hydrocodone 10/500 . gabapentin 300 mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg.. It helps a little. I just pray the pain doesnt multiply as fast from now till next week as it did from last week till now.. Vanderbilt is suppose to be calling with details before the end of the week. i hate the waiting. the drugs make me woozie so if this post sounds crazy thats why. i will repost when i find out what kind of trial i will have. thanks to everyone on this board who has posted their story. Some r so encouraging. life feels a little bleak for now but maybe Vanderbilt will be my miracle cure.. hugs to all

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lori C
        Participant

A 45% success rate sounds very very good.  Are you b-raf positive?  Thinking of you and hoping the pain will soon get taken care of (Will had a LOT of success with pain control using Fentanyl patches).  Best wishes for an excellent response. 

Lori C
          Participant

A 45% success rate sounds very very good.  Are you b-raf positive?  Thinking of you and hoping the pain will soon get taken care of (Will had a LOT of success with pain control using Fentanyl patches).  Best wishes for an excellent response. 

jim Breitfeller
            Participant

My guess is that it is the Oncovex Trial.

'Cure' is found for skin cancer, claim scientists..Melanoma ..Jim Breitfeller

'Cure' is found for skin cancer, claim scientists

Scientists believe that they have found a cure for skin cancer.

Published: 12:25AM BST 11 Apr 2010

A vaccine being tested in the UK has helped been shown to help some patients fully recover from melanoma, even in its advanced stages.

It attacks tumour cells, leaving healthy cells undamaged and carries agents that boost the body's response to skin cancer.

Dr Howard Kaufman, of Chicago's Rush University Medical Centre, said: "Our study shows we may have a cure for some advanced melanoma patients and a drug which has real benefits for others.

"This will save thousands of lives a year."

Over the past 25 years, rates of melanoma in Britain have risen faster than any other common cancer and 2,000 die from the disease every year.

A study of 50 patients with advanced melanoma who had been given no more than nine months to live found that 16 per cent of them recovered completely with the vaccine. They have been disease-free for more than four years.

Another 28 per cent saw the size of their tumours more than halved.

It is hoped the licensing will be "fast-tracked" and it will be on the market within five years.

Melanoma is now the most common cancer in young adults aged 15 to 34, with 10,41 new cases diagnosed every year in the UK.

Source:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7576456/Cure-is-found-for-skin-cancer-claim-scientists.html

The Company’s lead product, OncoVEXGM-CSF is a first in class oncolytic vaccine. OncoVEXGM-CSF is currently being evaluated in a Phase 3 multi-national study in metastatic melanoma and a Phase 3 study in head and neck cancer is scheduled to commence in the second half of 2010. BioVex believes OncoVEXGM-CSF has the potential to become a leading standard of care in the treatment of many solid tumors based on the strength of clinical data so far generated coupled with the relatively benign side effect profile noted to date.

The Company has recently also commenced clinical testing in the UK with its vaccine candidate for the prevention and potentially the treatment of genital herpes.

Clinical Trials: melanoma

7 trials found: Print This Page for Your Doctor

Adjuvant Immunotherapy with Anti-CTLA-4 Monoclonal Antibody (Ipilimumab) versus Placebo after Complete Resection of High-risk Stage III Melanoma: a randomized, Double-blind Phase 3 Trial of the EORTC Melanoma Group (IRB No. 080880)

MEL 0858 – A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Phase III Study to assess the Efficacy of recMAGE-A3 + AS15 ASCI as Adjuvant Therapy in Patients with MAGE-A3 Positive Resected Stage III Melanoma. (IRB No. 081192)

MEL 0905: A Randomized Phase 3 Clinical Trial to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Treatment with OncoVex/GM-CSF Compared to Subcutaneously Administered GM-CSF in Melanoma Patients with Unresectable Stage IIIb, IIIc and IV Disease (IRB No. 090589)

VICC MEL 0287/ Melanoma, Pigmented Lesion and Cutaneous Malignancy Tissue and Bio-Specimen Repository (IRB No. 030220)

VICC MEL 0474 – A Multicenter Selective Lymphadenectomy Trial II (MSLT-II): A Phase III Multicenter Randomized Trial of Sentinel Lymphadenectomy and Complete Lymph Node Dissection versus Sentinel Lymphadenectomy Alone in Cutaneous Melanoma Patients with Molecular or Histopathological Evidence of Metastases in the Sentinel Node (IRB No. 060069)

VICC MEL 0759/A Phase II Study of Sunitinib (SUTENT?) in Patients with Metastatic Mucosal or Acral/lentiginous Melanoma (IRB No. 080218)

VICCMEL1028-A Multicenter Treatment Protocol for Expanded Access Use of Ipilimumab (BMS-734016) Monotherapy in Subjects with Unresectable Stage III or Stage IV Melanoma (IRB No. 100742)

I wish you will.

Jimmy B

Lori C
                Participant

Oncovex –  Dr. Kaufman's trial – was what we had planned to get Will into after the chemo stabilized his liver tumors.  He is a truly brilliant man and I would encourage anyone able to to consider this.  He is the head of Oncology at Rush University Medical Center and was astonishingly accomodating.

Lori C
                  Participant

Oncovex –  Dr. Kaufman's trial – was what we had planned to get Will into after the chemo stabilized his liver tumors.  He is a truly brilliant man and I would encourage anyone able to to consider this.  He is the head of Oncology at Rush University Medical Center and was astonishingly accomodating.

carol b
                    Participant

Dr. Igor Puzanov is the onco i am seeing at vanderbuilt..thanks for the info..its uplifting

carol b
                      Participant

Dr. Igor Puzanov is the onco i am seeing at vanderbuilt..thanks for the info..its uplifting

jim Breitfeller
                      Participant

My guess is that it is the Oncovex Trial.

'Cure' is found for skin cancer, claim scientists..Melanoma ..Jim Breitfeller

'Cure' is found for skin cancer, claim scientists

Scientists believe that they have found a cure for skin cancer.

Published: 12:25AM BST 11 Apr 2010

A vaccine being tested in the UK has helped been shown to help some patients fully recover from melanoma, even in its advanced stages.

It attacks tumour cells, leaving healthy cells undamaged and carries agents that boost the body's response to skin cancer.

Dr Howard Kaufman, of Chicago's Rush University Medical Centre, said: "Our study shows we may have a cure for some advanced melanoma patients and a drug which has real benefits for others.

"This will save thousands of lives a year."

Over the past 25 years, rates of melanoma in Britain have risen faster than any other common cancer and 2,000 die from the disease every year.

A study of 50 patients with advanced melanoma who had been given no more than nine months to live found that 16 per cent of them recovered completely with the vaccine. They have been disease-free for more than four years.

Another 28 per cent saw the size of their tumours more than halved.

It is hoped the licensing will be "fast-tracked" and it will be on the market within five years.

Melanoma is now the most common cancer in young adults aged 15 to 34, with 10,41 new cases diagnosed every year in the UK.

Source:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7576456/Cure-is-found-for-skin-cancer-claim-scientists.html

The Company’s lead product, OncoVEXGM-CSF is a first in class oncolytic vaccine. OncoVEXGM-CSF is currently being evaluated in a Phase 3 multi-national study in metastatic melanoma and a Phase 3 study in head and neck cancer is scheduled to commence in the second half of 2010. BioVex believes OncoVEXGM-CSF has the potential to become a leading standard of care in the treatment of many solid tumors based on the strength of clinical data so far generated coupled with the relatively benign side effect profile noted to date.

The Company has recently also commenced clinical testing in the UK with its vaccine candidate for the prevention and potentially the treatment of genital herpes.

Clinical Trials: melanoma

7 trials found: Print This Page for Your Doctor

Adjuvant Immunotherapy with Anti-CTLA-4 Monoclonal Antibody (Ipilimumab) versus Placebo after Complete Resection of High-risk Stage III Melanoma: a randomized, Double-blind Phase 3 Trial of the EORTC Melanoma Group (IRB No. 080880)

MEL 0858 – A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Phase III Study to assess the Efficacy of recMAGE-A3 + AS15 ASCI as Adjuvant Therapy in Patients with MAGE-A3 Positive Resected Stage III Melanoma. (IRB No. 081192)

MEL 0905: A Randomized Phase 3 Clinical Trial to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Treatment with OncoVex/GM-CSF Compared to Subcutaneously Administered GM-CSF in Melanoma Patients with Unresectable Stage IIIb, IIIc and IV Disease (IRB No. 090589)

VICC MEL 0287/ Melanoma, Pigmented Lesion and Cutaneous Malignancy Tissue and Bio-Specimen Repository (IRB No. 030220)

VICC MEL 0474 – A Multicenter Selective Lymphadenectomy Trial II (MSLT-II): A Phase III Multicenter Randomized Trial of Sentinel Lymphadenectomy and Complete Lymph Node Dissection versus Sentinel Lymphadenectomy Alone in Cutaneous Melanoma Patients with Molecular or Histopathological Evidence of Metastases in the Sentinel Node (IRB No. 060069)

VICC MEL 0759/A Phase II Study of Sunitinib (SUTENT?) in Patients with Metastatic Mucosal or Acral/lentiginous Melanoma (IRB No. 080218)

VICCMEL1028-A Multicenter Treatment Protocol for Expanded Access Use of Ipilimumab (BMS-734016) Monotherapy in Subjects with Unresectable Stage III or Stage IV Melanoma (IRB No. 100742)

I wish you will.

Jimmy B

LynnLuc
                        Participant

They will probably just do their assessment first like the NIH did with me, do a few scans and tests…then set  a date.

LynnLuc
                          Participant

They will probably just do their assessment first like the NIH did with me, do a few scans and tests…then set  a date.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics