The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Cellulitis while on ipi

Forums General Melanoma Community Cellulitis while on ipi

• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Dhva.
    Participant

Has anyone experienced the development of cellulitis as a side effect to ipilimumab?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Cellulitis is a bacterial skin infection that can occur after a surgery or from a cut if there is an open wound for the bacteria to enter. Is not caused by a drug. Ipi can cause skin rashes as a side effect, which are different from cellulitis.

Dhva
            Participant

No surgery,no open wound or cut of any kind. Sudden onset of cellulitis in leg and uveitis in eyes. 

jennunicorn
              Participant

Interesting, not sure how the cellulitis would happen. Uveitis is definitely from the Ipi. Hope you feel better soon.

Dhva
                Participant

Thanks…weird!

Aaron
                  Participant

I have contracted cellulitis twice in the past month.  No cuts or trauma to the area.  I am on Nivo but am done with ipi.  Doc says I am more prone to cellulitis to to the lymph fluid that builds under my skin through out the day.  I do not have significant lymphedema so I do not use the compression stockings.  

Bradley75
                  Participant

I have had cellulitis twice.  Once while on the ipi/nivo combo and once just out of the blue.  I had no cuts or obvious sores that show how I contracted the infection.  I do have lymphadema and I know the lack of lymph nodes under my right arm and I know that causes a little infection to turn into something that can kill me rather quickly.  In my experience, I had increased swelling when I started to combo.  They also put me on 150mg of Prednisone 4 days after my 1st dose.  Both of those things increased swelling in the right axilla area.  The Prednisone lowered my immune system strength as well.  Within a week, I was back in the hospital with cellulitis.  It comes on really fast and both times I had little to no warning.

If you continue to have cellulitis issues, talk with you onc about having strong antibiotics in your at home medicine cabinet.  I noticed signs of it coming on again a couple of weeks ago and was able to stop it before it took off with Cephalexin that I had just in case.  You learn pretty quick what to look for when you can see the infection coming.  Once you see redness spreading towards any fluid build up spots you might have where you had lymph nodes removed, buckle your seatbelt.  The cellulitis can turn to cepsis in a matter of hours when that happens. 

-Brad

Dhva
                      Participant

The odd thing is that the primary was in the right fore arm and the clnd was in right armpit, but the cellulitis developed in the right lower leg. It is now the 6 the day in antibiotics, but it is still swelling ,discolored and sore by the end of the day. I'm guessing it just takes time to heal. Next ipi treatment is next week.

jennunicorn
                        Participant

They did make sure it is not a DVT (deep vein thrombosis), right? If not, please make sure they check.

This is from an article on the web:

"Severe venous congestion produces a clinical appearance that can be indistinguishable from the appearance of cellulitis. Patients with a warm, swollen, tender leg should be evaluated for both cellulitis and DVT because patients with primary DVT often develop a secondary cellulitis, while patients with primary cellulitis often develop a secondary DVT."

debwray
                          Participant

Agreed.    Esp as both legs and left arm drain through same lymphatic route whilst right arm drains via other route….cellulitis can mask deep infections ( Painful personal experiences ) – PS crp blood levels up tp 190 could be arthritic inflammation over that- look for infection etc etc…

Take care

Deb

Dhva
                            Participant

Completed antibiotics 5 days ago and had the fourth ipi treatment 3 days ago. Still experiencing swelling ,discoloration and there are a couple of lumps on the front and rear of the calf. Not sure what is going on, but the dr seems unconcerned.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics