The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Cautiously Optimistic

Forums General Melanoma Community Cautiously Optimistic

Participant

Hello everyone,

I saw Dr. Wolchok yesterday.  Now it seems there is more hope for me to get into an Anti PD-1 trial, so we're putting chemo on hold.

BMS trial of MDX 1106 is supposed to be allowing the removal of ipi for those previously on ipi –was supposed to happen before end of 2011, so waiting for that.   

The Merk trial only allows for 2 previous systemic treatments, and chemo would be #3 for me, so…  

Hello everyone,

I saw Dr. Wolchok yesterday.  Now it seems there is more hope for me to get into an Anti PD-1 trial, so we're putting chemo on hold.

BMS trial of MDX 1106 is supposed to be allowing the removal of ipi for those previously on ipi –was supposed to happen before end of 2011, so waiting for that.   

The Merk trial only allows for 2 previous systemic treatments, and chemo would be #3 for me, so…  

In the  meantime, Dr. Halpern will try to manage the satellites w/laser so, here's hoping and praying.

Wishing everyone a good weekend,

karen

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        NYKaren
        Participant

I went from Friday feeling cautiously optimistic to today freaking out.

Now, since I'm seeing Dr. Halpern tomorrow, I'm worried that if he zaps off too much, then there won't be enough measurable disease to be in an anti PD-1 trial.  But some of the sats are getting bigger…

I hate the days leading up to a doc app't almost as much as I hate the days after scans.  I think I'm going to take an Ativan. 

I just read the above and it sounds like i'm feeling sorry for myself.  After all, I'm not even stage IV…only IIIC.  Some of you are dealing with a lot worse than I am.  I do know that I can become IV in the blink of an eye.   I wonder if that's what's scaring me so much, or is it just the fear of the unknown?

karen

MariaH
            Participant

Definitely the unknown Karen…. sometimes I just wish that there was a clear choice – everything is such a crap shoot.  We are at the same fork in the road for Dave (although stage IV) – do we have him continue on the Temodar because he's stable?  Or switch to IPI because he's off the steroids?  Or try to get him into an anti-pd1 trial?

I wish we knew the results before he started.

I know how you feel, hugs to you…

Maria

MariaH
              Participant

Definitely the unknown Karen…. sometimes I just wish that there was a clear choice – everything is such a crap shoot.  We are at the same fork in the road for Dave (although stage IV) – do we have him continue on the Temodar because he's stable?  Or switch to IPI because he's off the steroids?  Or try to get him into an anti-pd1 trial?

Maria

MariaH
                Participant

Maria

NYKaren
                Participant

Now, since I'm seeing Dr. Halpern tomorrow, I'm worried that if he zaps off too much, then there won't be enough measurable disease to be in an anti PD-1 trial.  But some of the sats are getting bigger…

I hate the days leading up to a doc app't almost as much as I hate the days after scans.  I think I'm going to take an Ativan. 

I just read the above and it sounds like i'm feeling sorry for myself.  After all, I'm not even stage IV…only IIIC.  Some of you are dealing with a lot worse than I am.  I do know that I can become IV in the blink of an eye.   I wonder if that's what's scaring me so much, or is it just the fear of the unknown?

karen

NYKaren
                  Participant

karen

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics