The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Castle Bioscience Decision DX-Melanoma test

Forums General Melanoma Community Castle Bioscience Decision DX-Melanoma test

Participant

My dermatologist sent my tissue biopsy to Castle Bioscience for them to run the Decision DX-Melanoma test.  It came back as a class 1.  Haven't had my SLNB yet.  Anyone have experience with this gene expression profile test?  Is it reliable?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Happy_girl
        Participant

I know there are mixed reviews about this test.  My surgeon did use this also. I was told my sln was clear.  Mine actually came back class 2.  Because of that I had the sln double checked and the micro amount in my sln was missed due to a special stain.  My first onc at university hospital (Ohio)told me he believed the test came back that way due to there being melanoma in my lymph node.  I then went to Sloan Kettering for another opinion, and dr. Coit did not seem to think it was truly reliable.  The onc.  I use her at home now officially (James cancer center- Ohio state) hasn't even mentioned this results and had been very encouraging and positive.  I just wanted to share my experience with the test. Hopefully others will share their experiences too! 

Happy_girl
          Participant

I know there are mixed reviews about this test.  My surgeon did use this also. I was told my sln was clear.  Mine actually came back class 2.  Because of that I had the sln double checked and the micro amount in my sln was missed due to a special stain.  My first onc at university hospital (Ohio)told me he believed the test came back that way due to there being melanoma in my lymph node.  I then went to Sloan Kettering for another opinion, and dr. Coit did not seem to think it was truly reliable.  The onc.  I use her at home now officially (James cancer center- Ohio state) hasn't even mentioned this results and had been very encouraging and positive.  I just wanted to share my experience with the test. Hopefully others will share their experiences too! 

Happy_girl
            Participant

Jenncat0402
              Participant

I had this done as well. Mine came back class 1 with negative SLNB so they are saying the probability of mine returning is less than a class 2 with Negative SLNB. I am only 7 1/2 minths out from dx and there aren't too many studies on the results so I dont know about the long term. But i am hoping they are correct with the results ๐Ÿ™‚ my derm in my hometown did not even know what the test was but my derm in the city is the ine who sent it off so it is relatively new.

Jenncat0402
                Participant

I had this done as well. Mine came back class 1 with negative SLNB so they are saying the probability of mine returning is less than a class 2 with Negative SLNB. I am only 7 1/2 minths out from dx and there aren't too many studies on the results so I dont know about the long term. But i am hoping they are correct with the results ๐Ÿ™‚ my derm in my hometown did not even know what the test was but my derm in the city is the ine who sent it off so it is relatively new.

Jenncat0402
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics