The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

carbotaxol, IL-2, or TIL

Forums General Melanoma Community carbotaxol, IL-2, or TIL

Participant

Just wondering if anyone can weigh in on experiences and suggestions – ipi does not seem to be working and we are trying to make a decision between these three treatments.  Time is of the essence as Derek has innumerable mets in both lobes of liver and has had them since last July (2010) although his liver functions are still fine, he also has a tumour behind left eye and increasing soft tissue encasing right aorta, right main pulmonary, and bronchus.

Chemo does not make since – on off chance ipi is late responder do not want to kill immune

Just wondering if anyone can weigh in on experiences and suggestions – ipi does not seem to be working and we are trying to make a decision between these three treatments.  Time is of the essence as Derek has innumerable mets in both lobes of liver and has had them since last July (2010) although his liver functions are still fine, he also has a tumour behind left eye and increasing soft tissue encasing right aorta, right main pulmonary, and bronchus.

Chemo does not make since – on off chance ipi is late responder do not want to kill immune

IL2 – stimulate immune, low chance of response, away from home

TIL – stimulates immune, away from home a shorter time, long time to see if it works

Does this make sense?

Thank-you in advance

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I can't add to any suggestions but has Derek had his HLA protein tested?  If his plan is to go to NIH to do the TIL he will have to be 0201 positive.  While their planning on trials in the future with different HLA factors they are not doing it rght now. Val just asked for me within the last month.  I believe that MDA does the TIL without the hla + but didn't know if your insurance would cover since you are from Canada.  Just wanted to make sure you knew those facts.

Wishing you and Derek success.  Hope that baby is growing and healthy. I know you are stressed right now.

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

I can't add to any suggestions but has Derek had his HLA protein tested?  If his plan is to go to NIH to do the TIL he will have to be 0201 positive.  While their planning on trials in the future with different HLA factors they are not doing it rght now. Val just asked for me within the last month.  I believe that MDA does the TIL without the hla + but didn't know if your insurance would cover since you are from Canada.  Just wanted to make sure you knew those facts.

Wishing you and Derek success.  Hope that baby is growing and healthy. I know you are stressed right now.

Linda

MariaH
            Participant

Hi Terra,

I realize that you are at a crossroad with treatment, and I know how difficult it is to make a decision – it would be much easier if there was a treatment that had a higher response rate (ie 50% or better).  All your options are viable ones – what you have to do now is decide where to start.

IL-2 and the TIL study are both good options.  The TIL study at NIH (Trial NCT01319565) does not require specific HLA typing – although many of their other very promising studies they are doing now do.  When you go to NIH, they consider what treatment is best for the patient, and not all of them include IL-2.  They are doing clinical trials that do not require tumor sample, which the HLA typing would then apply (if you go to clinical trials.gov, look under ESO and MAGE, these are just examples of some of the trials).  We tried to get Dave into the TIL, but he did not have tumor that was resectable.  He is currently doing IL-2 at Roswell, and should he not respond, he will go back down to see what else they have available – he is HLA and B-RAF negative.

I would bring up the option of IL-2 to your doctor, and in the meantime get in touch with NIH.  There is extensive testing for IL-2, and not every patient qualifies for it.  Pulmonary function and nuclear stress tests must be done, as well as a brain MRI.  I'm not sure if your husband is on steroids, but he has to be off of them for two weeks prior to IL-2.  Since all this takes time, it is best to get started as soon as possible.

If it was me, I would look at it like this:

Contact NIH – Linda Williams, Clinical research nurse, 866-820-4505 and see how fast you can get in there for an appt (We called on a Friday, and drove down the following Tuesday).

While you are waiting for your appt at NIH, contact your oncologist to see if he is a candidate for IL-2.  In all actuality, the response rate for other melanoma treatment drugs is not that much better than IL-2, and if you get a response from IL-2, there is a chance it is complete and durable.

If neither is an option, you still have carbo-taxol.

Best wishes to you and your husband, and keep us posted on what you decide.

Maria

MariaH
                Participant

One other thing Terra, I didn't realize you are from Canada.  Roswell Park is just over the border (by Buffalo, NY).  Also, Providence Cancer Center in Portland, OR has an excellent study combining radiation and IL-2.  I have contact numbers for both – if you are interested, let me know.

MariaH
                  Participant

One other thing Terra, I didn't realize you are from Canada.  Roswell Park is just over the border (by Buffalo, NY).  Also, Providence Cancer Center in Portland, OR has an excellent study combining radiation and IL-2.  I have contact numbers for both – if you are interested, let me know.

MariaH
                  Participant

Hi Terra,

I realize that you are at a crossroad with treatment, and I know how difficult it is to make a decision – it would be much easier if there was a treatment that had a higher response rate (ie 50% or better).  All your options are viable ones – what you have to do now is decide where to start.

IL-2 and the TIL study are both good options.  The TIL study at NIH (Trial NCT01319565) does not require specific HLA typing – although many of their other very promising studies they are doing now do.  When you go to NIH, they consider what treatment is best for the patient, and not all of them include IL-2.  They are doing clinical trials that do not require tumor sample, which the HLA typing would then apply (if you go to clinical trials.gov, look under ESO and MAGE, these are just examples of some of the trials).  We tried to get Dave into the TIL, but he did not have tumor that was resectable.  He is currently doing IL-2 at Roswell, and should he not respond, he will go back down to see what else they have available – he is HLA and B-RAF negative.

I would bring up the option of IL-2 to your doctor, and in the meantime get in touch with NIH.  There is extensive testing for IL-2, and not every patient qualifies for it.  Pulmonary function and nuclear stress tests must be done, as well as a brain MRI.  I'm not sure if your husband is on steroids, but he has to be off of them for two weeks prior to IL-2.  Since all this takes time, it is best to get started as soon as possible.

If it was me, I would look at it like this:

Contact NIH – Linda Williams, Clinical research nurse, 866-820-4505 and see how fast you can get in there for an appt (We called on a Friday, and drove down the following Tuesday).

While you are waiting for your appt at NIH, contact your oncologist to see if he is a candidate for IL-2.  In all actuality, the response rate for other melanoma treatment drugs is not that much better than IL-2, and if you get a response from IL-2, there is a chance it is complete and durable.

If neither is an option, you still have carbo-taxol.

Best wishes to you and your husband, and keep us posted on what you decide.

Maria

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

You stated: “Chemo does not make sense – on off chance ipi is late responder do not want to kill immune.”

My understanding of the TIL process is that they first wipe out the immune system then try to rebuild and enhance it. see: http://clinicalresearch.nih.gov/stories_breidenbach.html

It appears that TIL, while possible being effective, would still wipe out whatever is left from the ipi. 

I agree that of the choices you present here I would favor either the IL-2 or the TIL. I am not sure if having one of them eliminates one from having the other. This could also effect the decision.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Just ran across an interesting article about partial and long term responders to il-2.  Seems that TIL w/il-2 is a good follow up for them.  This is an older article by Dr Rosenberg. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9532410?dopt=Abstract

Re-treatment of relapses with the same interleukin-2-based therapy originally used was effective in only one (2%) of 54 selected patients, but a different interleukin-2-based therapy in 35 patients resulted in five responders (a 14% secondary response rate). Most re-responders, however, responded to treatment with tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes and interleukin-2, and only one of 20 patients responded to re-treatment with interleukin-2 alone.

At least this indicates that TIL/il-2 should be a follow on option after il-2 alone.  Might be worth talking to NIH about.

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

Just ran across an interesting article about partial and long term responders to il-2.  Seems that TIL w/il-2 is a good follow up for them.  This is an older article by Dr Rosenberg. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9532410?dopt=Abstract

Re-treatment of relapses with the same interleukin-2-based therapy originally used was effective in only one (2%) of 54 selected patients, but a different interleukin-2-based therapy in 35 patients resulted in five responders (a 14% secondary response rate). Most re-responders, however, responded to treatment with tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes and interleukin-2, and only one of 20 patients responded to re-treatment with interleukin-2 alone.

At least this indicates that TIL/il-2 should be a follow on option after il-2 alone.  Might be worth talking to NIH about.

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

You stated: “Chemo does not make sense – on off chance ipi is late responder do not want to kill immune.”

My understanding of the TIL process is that they first wipe out the immune system then try to rebuild and enhance it. see: http://clinicalresearch.nih.gov/stories_breidenbach.html

It appears that TIL, while possible being effective, would still wipe out whatever is left from the ipi. 

I agree that of the choices you present here I would favor either the IL-2 or the TIL. I am not sure if having one of them eliminates one from having the other. This could also effect the decision.

emilypen
                            Participant

Hi Terra,

Would it make sense to pursue both for now?

Since IL-2 requires testing to qualify and TIL has a 3 month window while they grow cells ( if i'm thinking abou tthe correct treatment) plus they do chemo anyway before the cell transfer. Either way a visit to NIH is a good idea. They may  have other trials as well.

That way you'll know which Derek actually qualifies for and haven't wasted anytime pursuing only one of the two?

I had heard there might be a new trial opening at PMH in the fall with Dr. Hogg. I think Lisa on this board mentioned it, but i'm not sure if it's type specific or even what drug it's for.

Em

emilypen
                              Participant

Hi Terra,

Would it make sense to pursue both for now?

Since IL-2 requires testing to qualify and TIL has a 3 month window while they grow cells ( if i'm thinking abou tthe correct treatment) plus they do chemo anyway before the cell transfer. Either way a visit to NIH is a good idea. They may  have other trials as well.

That way you'll know which Derek actually qualifies for and haven't wasted anytime pursuing only one of the two?

I had heard there might be a new trial opening at PMH in the fall with Dr. Hogg. I think Lisa on this board mentioned it, but i'm not sure if it's type specific or even what drug it's for.

Em

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics