The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Carbo/Taxol = Happy Dance!!

Forums General Melanoma Community Carbo/Taxol = Happy Dance!!

Participant

Just wanted to post our good news, first time in four years of battling the beast.  Dave's recent decline took IPI off the table, as his LDH was over 8000 (yes, that's 8k, not 800).  The cancer was spreading quickly, and his onc told us that we may have to face the fact that we couldn't keep ahead of it.  The day before he was released from the hospital, Dave did one round of carbo/taxol.  After being bed ridden for 5 days, he did a complete turn around – even going back to work.  He went in for his bloodwork yesterday and his LDH has dropped to 2390 – s

Just wanted to post our good news, first time in four years of battling the beast.  Dave's recent decline took IPI off the table, as his LDH was over 8000 (yes, that's 8k, not 800).  The cancer was spreading quickly, and his onc told us that we may have to face the fact that we couldn't keep ahead of it.  The day before he was released from the hospital, Dave did one round of carbo/taxol.  After being bed ridden for 5 days, he did a complete turn around – even going back to work.  He went in for his bloodwork yesterday and his LDH has dropped to 2390 – still high, but much better.  The one met in his chest that could be felt has shrunk to half it's size.  His oncologist was thrilled with the results, and we were over the moon!  FINALLY…. something is working.  Plan now is to do one more round next week, then scan on June 1.  If all goes well, he will start IPI in June, as we know that this is only a "bridge" treatment.  His energy level has increased, and we are decreasing the methadone, steroids, and gabapatin.

I can't tell you how happy we are! 

All my best to all the mel warriors – don't ever, ever give up!

Maria

Viewing 35 reply threads
    • Replies
        deardad
        Participant

That's wonderful news, I'm so happy to hear Dave is improving. 

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
          Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
            Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

susanr
              Participant

Great news Maria !!!!!  Very happy for you guys.  Please keep us posted.  I will watch for your posts.

susanr
                Participant

Great news Maria !!!!!  Very happy for you guys.  Please keep us posted.  I will watch for your posts.

susanr
                  Participant

susanr
                    Participant

Maria,

Thank you for your response to some of my posts re: my brother.  Prior to the good news, I know it was very tough and you were kind enough to help others while taking care of Dave.  Keep us posted on how he does.

Thanks Susan-NY

susanr
                      Participant

Maria,

Thank you for your response to some of my posts re: my brother.  Prior to the good news, I know it was very tough and you were kind enough to help others while taking care of Dave.  Keep us posted on how he does.

Thanks Susan-NY

susanr
                        Participant

Maria,

Thanks Susan-NY

aldakota22
                          Participant

Always a real joy to read such positive news for one of us.Praying it only keeps getting better.Till we are ale NED.  Al

aldakota22
                            Participant

Always a real joy to read such positive news for one of us.Praying it only keeps getting better.Till we are ale NED.  Al

aldakota22
                              Participant

Phil S
                                Participant
                                  Maria, Thanks for the update, I have been wondering how Dave was doing! Great News, glad he can get back to work, and life can be somewhat normal, and its super that’s he is feeling better. Take care of yourself,too! God Bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                  Phil S
                                  Participant
                                    Maria, Thanks for the update, I have been wondering how Dave was doing! Great News, glad he can get back to work, and life can be somewhat normal, and its super that’s he is feeling better. Take care of yourself,too! God Bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                    Phil S
                                    Participant
                                      Karin L
                                      Participant

I hardly know what to say but that I am SO  happy for you both!!!  With a LDH that high I am sure you were scared.  Mine was 3800 and when it dropped during treatment my doctor all but hopped and skipped into the room to show us the results.  It kept going downhill from there and I wish that for Dave also.  Happy dance!

Karin

Karin L
                                        Participant

I hardly know what to say but that I am SO  happy for you both!!!  With a LDH that high I am sure you were scared.  Mine was 3800 and when it dropped during treatment my doctor all but hopped and skipped into the room to show us the results.  It kept going downhill from there and I wish that for Dave also.  Happy dance!

Karin

Karin L
                                          Participant

Karin

hope4cure1
                                            Participant

Maria, that is the best news!!!!!  You deserved to finally get some good news.  Here's to your new course of positive results!!

Hope

hope4cure1
                                              Participant

Maria, that is the best news!!!!!  You deserved to finally get some good news.  Here's to your new course of positive results!!

Hope

hope4cure1
                                                Participant

Hope

lhaley
                                                  Participant

Love hearing good news!  He must be feeling so much better to be back to work.

Linda

lhaley
                                                    Participant

Linda

lhaley
                                                      Participant

Linda

s Mom
                                                        Participant

Hi Maria,

We're doing the happy dance over here with you!!  Woohooo!!!

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                                          Participant

Hi Maria,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                                            Participant

Hi Maria,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

Maria and Dave,
                                                              Brooks and I were SO very happy to hear the great news! you’re fighters always. Keeping you in our prayers, chins up!!!
                                                              Maria and Dave,
                                                              Brooks and I were SO very happy to hear the great news! you’re fighters always. Keeping you in our prayers, chins up!!!
                                                              Maria and Dave,
                                                              ErikaNFam
                                                              Participant

Hi Maria,

I am being pulled different ways by different Doctors.  One saying BioChemo will give the highest chance of a response and the other doctor saying it is too toxic an the difference between BioChemo and regular chemo, the carbo/taxol.

I was wondering, where your disease was and was it widespread?  I have a significant amount of mets on my liver.  MY Ldh is now 1000, which I know puts me at a decreased chance of the them being effective.

Can you tell me how you chose to do the Chemo and not biochemo?  I'm also curious the statistics on response rates that they quoted you.

ErikaNFam
                                                                Participant

Hi Maria,

I am being pulled different ways by different Doctors.  One saying BioChemo will give the highest chance of a response and the other doctor saying it is too toxic an the difference between BioChemo and regular chemo, the carbo/taxol.

I was wondering, where your disease was and was it widespread?  I have a significant amount of mets on my liver.  MY Ldh is now 1000, which I know puts me at a decreased chance of the them being effective.

Can you tell me how you chose to do the Chemo and not biochemo?  I'm also curious the statistics on response rates that they quoted you.

ErikaNFam
                                                                  Participant

Hi Maria,

ErikaNFam
                                                                    Participant

Hi Maria,

ErikaNFam
                                                                      Participant

Hi Maria,

ErikaNFam
                                                                        Participant

Hi Maria,

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics